2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mattchu

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This whole thing has become such a mess that i`m now leaning [and i hate to say it] towards the side that hopes Mclaren divorces Honda and then the Honda engine comes good!
We have seen this weekend with the Renault engine how it is very difficult to make certain parts of these PU`s reliable (when they have to perfrom to such a high level). How many Renault PU parts are being replaced/failing this weekend?
Also i`m sure i read somewhere that Renault are going for a radicalish change in PU design for next year. What makes anyone certain that they aren`t going to go through exactly the same reliability problems that Honda seem to be going through. Why would having a Renauly engine suddenly make them podium contenders, you`d still probably have Merc and Ferrari above them, they would basically be battling Red-Bull, FI, Williams and potentially Renault themselves for best of the rest.
Also how would they be able to keep Alonso if as reported Honda pay most of his wages. They would also lose any extra money Honda put into the team and we all know the McLaren isn`t exactly overflowing with sponsor logos nowadays!
There is no magic bullet available (imo)...

adrianjordan

Oh there's a magic bullet, problem is Mercedes won't let them have it 😉
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Avocado
Avocado

Did you see what just happened? And you want Honda for 2018? Are you people serious? They will NEVER EVER make a good engine.

etusch

Vandoorne was good until retirement. 3.7 looks not bad.
After all things happened I don't want to see McLaren win with Honda PU. I want to see Redbull Honda anymore

ZakB
ZakB

Hahaha, let's start this poll again -> http://www.strawpoll.me/13850900

You guys have no idea how --- the Honda actually is.

Renault topping speed traps, Renault overtaking the Ferrari, wow such a *** engine.
Last edited by ZakB on 03 Sep 2017, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

I seriously hope this is the final straw.... The engine is catastrophic. As i wrote before, when Hasegawa was bragging that now they have finally resolved the issues and will start to gain against Renault and others, it is proven jet again they were blowing empty air as they did and are doing in this two and a half years. They are a lost cause and Mclaren should ditch them as soon as possible, since they are a cement brick dragging them to the bottom of the lake...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

GhostF1
GhostF1

Avocado wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 14:57
Did you see what just happened? And you want Honda for 2018? Are you people serious? They will NEVER EVER make a good engine.
Have you seen how many Renault failure penalties also? And look at Palmer, another Renault failure...
Not to mention they want to change the architecture again next year.. I'm not interested in going through all this pain for it to possibly be the same story with a different manufacturer.
Let's see what Honda's engine can do in it's second generation.

There's literally no golden move right now for them.

They've shown better pace here than expected.

ZakB
ZakB

proteus wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:02
I seriously hope this is the final straw.... The engine is catastrophic. As i wrote before, when Hasegawa was bragging that now they have finally resolved the issues and will start to gain against Renault and others, it is proven jet again they were blowing empty air as they did and are doing in this two and a half years. They are a lost cause and Mclaren should ditch them as soon as possible, since they are a cement brick dragging them to the bottom of the lake...
McLaren exactly know what they have promised and delivered. If they would have seen big progress, they would never consider leaving them.

proteus

GhostF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:03
Avocado wrote:
Have you seen how many Renault failure penalties also? And look at Palmer, another Renault failure...
Not to mention they want to change the architecture again next year.. I'm not interested in going through all this pain for it to possibly be the same story with a different manufacturer.

Have u seen Renault costumers breezing past Mclarens? I did, and im seriously sore about Honda. Jet again their bragging in the media backfired. It would be less painfull if they would be quiet, but they werent and are not and they are still not delivering.

ZakB
ZakB

Do people actually expect that Honda will catch Renault, Ferrari or McLaren in the next three years? McLaren is going to drop them regardless of the Toro Rosso deal. Thank god.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13850900

BeardedAce
BeardedAce

This is Honda's payback for Mclaren causing another media storm this weekend. Here, have a bunch of grid penalties and failures. Sorry for the drivers.

proteus

This season they wont even get as much points as they did in disastrous 15 season...it is just ripping me apart watching this situation.

proteus

BeardedAce wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:12
This is Honda's payback for Mclaren causing another media storm this weekend. Here, have a bunch of grid penalties and failures. Sorry for the drivers.
No need for them to try doing something intentionally, since their engine is terrible enough on its own to achieve it.

GhostF1
GhostF1

proteus wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:06
GhostF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:03
Avocado wrote:

Have u seen Renault costumers breezing past Mclarens? I did, and im seriously sore about Honda. Jet again their bragging in the media backfired. It would be less painfull if they would be quiet, but they werent and are not and they are still not delivering.
You mean Redbull, with DRS and Alonso no battery? There hasn't been any other customer Renault team "flying past". They've had great pace against the Renault's and Toro Rosso's. Vandoorne and Kvyat was a great scrap for so long.

"Does anyone think Honda can catch Renault in the next three years?"
Christ that's rubbish thing to say. Apart from the obvious deep insight you have in F1 power unit design, I think this first year with this design can only get better and better. How could it be worse next year if they are for the first time continuing with this concept. It's just troll behaviour.

Anyway what will be will be it seems now... Hopefully Singapore shows some strengths for the team.

Avocado
Avocado

Double retirement. This is the end.