2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

GhostF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:19
proteus wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:06
GhostF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:03

Have you seen how many Renault failure penalties also? And look at Palmer, another Renault failure...
Not to mention they want to change the architecture again next year.. I'm not interested in going through all this pain for it to possibly be the same story with a different manufacturer.
Let's see what Honda's engine can do in it's second generation.

There's literally no golden move right now for them.

They've shown better pace here than expected.
Have u seen Renault costumers breezing past Mclarens? I did, and im seriously sore about Honda. Jet again their bragging in the media backfired. It would be less painfull if they would be quiet, but they werent and are not and they are still not delivering.
You mean Redbull, with DRS and Alonso no battery? There hasn't been any other customer Renault team "flying past". They've had great pace against the Renault's and Toro Rosso's. Vandoorne and Kvyat was a great scrap for so long.

"Does anyone think Honda can catch Renault in the next three years?"
Christ that's rubbish thing to say. Apart from the obvious deep insight you have in F1 power unit design, I think this first year with this design can only get better and better. How could it be worse next year if they are for the first time continuing with this concept. It's just troll behaviour.

Anyway what will be will be it seems now... Hopefully Singapore shows some strengths for the team.
Enlight me where is it getting better and better? More than a half of the season is over, they have catastrophic 10 points, the engine is not powerfull and not reliable. This sugarcoating is useless.

Redbulls breezed past, Renaults got away and STR was able to have them behind with no problems with deployed DRS by the Mclaren... What shows the progress in comparison to these three teams?
Last edited by proteus on 03 Sep 2017, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Mansell89
Mansell89

Honestly think McLaren becoming a Renault customer is about as embarrassing as it gets.

Small performance increase, huge reliability risk, no likelihood of race wins.

All I can think is that they're looking to pinch a podium or two for marketing reasons until the engine regs change in a couple of years.

proteus

Mansell89 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:23
Honestly think McLaren becoming a Renault customer is about as embarrassing as it gets.

All I can think is that they're looking to pinch a podium or two for marketing reasons until the engine regs change in a couple of years.
Still better than scraping the bottom of the barrel, retireing from atleast half of the races, and getting penalties on the same amount as well. Trailing behind others, hoping for miracles...

ZakB
ZakB

Mansell89 wrote:

Small performance increase? Are you blind?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Mansell89 wrote:

Are you insane? Alonso and Riciardo started on the same place on the grid.
Renault much better engine and even better next year.
Honda? Probably another step back just like in early 2016 and 2017.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sayeman

Terrible i know but noone expected points here, nothing has changed. Atleast in Singapore they will have a fighting chance. Alonso's retirement was more like a strategic one than anything. Beyond dissapointed myself with Honda but i will wait till big update they promised to bring.
Never Give up.

ZakB
ZakB

Before quali

After sunday

proteus

Sayeman wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:28
Terrible i know but noone expected points here, nothing has changed. Atleast in Singapore they will have a fighting chance. Alonso's retirement was more like a strategic one than anything. Beyond dissapointed myself with Honda but i will wait till big update they promised to bring.
The only big thing the update will bring will probably be the big dissapoitment, Maybe they wont even need to bring it, if Mclaren ditches them.

JonoNic

ZakB wrote:Before quali

After sunday

Anyone can make up results. Even posters on this forum are more than those who voted. Did you make up accounts to prove your point?

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

zeph
zeph

With the exception of 2015, Renault engines have won races every year.

Nobody can predict the future, and I'll admit there's a possibility that next year's Renault PU will be a donkey. But you can only make decisions based on the data available today. And from that, I'd say the Renault is a much better PU than Honda.

No need to put on a brave face. Honda doesn't have a clue. I want them to win, but after three years we should have seen more improvement.

Mad
Mad

ZakB wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:29
Before quali

http://i.imgur.com/mVlWVZw.png

After sunday

http://i.imgur.com/tNMFPPA.png
After seeing you crappy polls, Abiteboul has decided to supply McLaren with crappy Renaults for next year.

Phil

For those that missed the obvious;

This was Monza. High speed circuit? Top speed, engine performance and aero dynamic efficiency is key?

It was always going to be a painful race for the obvious weakest engine on the grid. Despite that, i didnt think their showing was that bad.

Again: Honda brings a lot more to the partnership than just a works-engine. They also supplied McLaren with lots of money to invest and create the strong car it is.

Moving to a customer team relationship is not without risks and disadvantages. See RedBull in 14 - 16 and this year too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ZakB
ZakB

Phil wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:50

This was Monza. High speed circuit? Top speed, engine performance and aero dynamic efficiency is key?

It was always going to be a painful race for the obvious weakest engine on the grid. Despite that, i didnt think their showing was that bad.

Again: Honda brings a lot more to the partnership than just a works-engine. They also supplied McLaren with lots of money to invest and create the strong car it is.

Moving to a customer team relationship is not without risks and disadvantages. See RedBull in 14 - 16 and this year too.
Yeah, money that has been wasted by sponsors walking away and almost no prize money. McLaren will be fine. How are you comparing Red Bull 14 - 16 to the McLaren situation? [...]

Sayeman

ZakB wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:55
Phil wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:50

Yeah, money that has been wasted by sponsors walking away and almost no prize money. McLaren will be fine.
By fine, do u mean being the 4th best team at best?
Never Give up.

ScottB
ScottB

There's no good choice.

Staying with Honda is an obvious risk, basically just crossing fingers and hoping they deliver, finally.

Going to Renault is an obvious risk, it's better than the Honda, but still unreliable, and like Honda, not suggesting they are about to make a big step forward to catch the Merc and Ferrari. But beyond that, they trade works status and the Honda cash it brings for paying to be a Renault customer, and not even the lead customer, if Horner's comments about RBR having a veto over Renault customer deals is true.

Signing with Renault may well keep Alonso, but in the long term, a big hit to income and a continued lack of a top line engine will be damaging; if the idea is to wait till 2021 and try for a better engine by then, it'll be 13 years since the last title. Mclaren risk permanently slipping back from the front as Williams have done.