Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
harjan
harjan

Re: Honda Power Unit

Was that the 3.7 engine in Stoffels car? Because that wasn't looking too bad when he was in between the quicker cars. Unlike Fernando.. That pass from Verstappen on Alonso was plain painful.

proteus

harjan wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:18
Was that the 3.7 engine in Stoffels car? Because that wasn't looking too bad when he was in between the quicker cars. Unlike Fernando.. That pass from Verstappen on Alonso was plain painful.
He had the previous version in (3.6), Alonso tested the 3.7, but has a 3.6. The 3.6 update is a failure for me, since both of the cars retired and they are still sitting ducks on the straights.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

GoranF1
GoranF1

So Ricciardo who started on the similar grid position as Alonso overtakes him for a lap.
That is how much better Renault is.
Chassis are simillar.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

proteus wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:20
harjan wrote:
He had the previous version in (3.6), Alonso tested the 3.7, but has a 3.6. The 3.6 update is a failure for me, since both of the cars retired and they are still sitting ducks on the straights.
Stoffel drove with the 3.7, Alonso with the 3.5 and had ERS problems.

They retired Alonso's car because they can swap some parts without penalties.

damager21
damager21

proteus wrote:
harjan wrote:
Alonso would have retired for strategic reasons. They will get a new gearbox for next race without any penalty. Also 3.7 engine which he tested in FP1. Singapore could be another good chance to score some points.

ZakB
ZakB

RIP Honda. Thank god McLaren will be back next year.

nzjrs

proteus wrote:
harjan wrote:
It was apparently 3.7 in Vandorns car. I'd agree it looked better than what Alonso was running - but that could be due to the problems with up-shifting Fernando was complaining about during the race.

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 1338670081

Seems like Alonso retired because of gearbox issues.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kvya ... ng-948969/

So I wasn't imaging things, Vandoorne's setup was pretty decent it seems (sadly the engine died again :cry: )

FvtecA
FvtecA

Another frustrating weekend.

Seems Honda has developed another issue. Maybe Alonso's Spa retirement, Vandoorne's engine change 1, engine 2 loss of power may all be the same problem.

All this in a race that for the first time seemed really promising. While all my HP number calibration was out of the window, FP2 indicated it may have been close. And in the race they switched to 3.7 and not only did Vandoorne overtake Sainz, but he kept up with Kvyat all through. Contrast this with Baku, Spa where Sainz comfortably overtook Alonso. And he could keep Ocon at bay for quite some time. All this with what is supposed to be only a 5-8 HP update.

I would be enthusiastic but it seems there are now new issues to be dealt with in terms of MGU-K and unless that is sorted out maybe we will see a de-rated engine in Singapore.

Assuming that is not the case, lets try to calibrate the numbers again. Singapore will probably have similar characteristics to Hungary so let us make that the model. Hungary was 1.4 s down. So assuming a 70 HP deficit, that is 0.2 s per 10 HP. That was for a 76 s lap. Assuming Singapore would be a 99 s lap, that scales to 0.28 s. So the numbers become

Baseline (3.5):
(995 - 940)*0.28 = 1.6

+10 HP (3.7):
(995 - 955)*0.28 = 1.1

Now, that is assuming Merc gets the pole. If Ferrari gets it and assuming they are 5 HP down,

Baseline (3.5):
(990 - 940)*0.28 = 1.4

+10 HP (3.7):
(990 - 955)*0.28 = 1.0

This is interesting, because I am guessing the top 6 spread should be around 1 s. So qualifying could be very close to the top 6. So lets hope Honda fixes these new reliability issues in the next two weeks and we get to see a really good qualifying.

amho

In spite of Vandorne's retirement I think they showed strong uptrend performance in a track with the highest power demand and fuel consumption.I was very surprised when I saw vandorne was overtaking others in early lap
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

GoranF1
GoranF1

FvtecA wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:45
Another frustrating weekend.

Seems Honda has developed another issue. Maybe Alonso's Spa retirement, Vandoorne's engine change 1, engine 2 loss of power may all be the same problem.

All this in a race that for the first time seemed really promising. While all my HP number calibration was out of the window, FP2 indicated it may have been close. And in the race they switched to 3.7 and not only did Vandoorne overtake Sainz, but he kept up with Kvyat all through. Contrast this with Baku, Spa where Sainz comfortably overtook Alonso. And he could keep Ocon at bay for quite some time. All this with what is supposed to be only a 5-8 HP update.

I would be enthusiastic but it seems there are now new issues to be dealt with in terms of MGU-K and unless that is sorted out maybe we will see a de-rated engine in Singapore.

Assuming that is not the case, lets try to calibrate the numbers again. Singapore will probably have similar characteristics to Hungary so let us make that the model. Hungary was 1.4 s down. So assuming a 70 HP deficit, that is 0.2 s per 10 HP. That was for a 76 s lap. Assuming Singapore would be a 99 s lap, that scales to 0.28 s. So the numbers become

Baseline (3.5):
(995 - 940)*0.28 = 1.6

+10 HP (3.7):
(995 - 955)*0.28 = 1.1

Now, that is assuming Merc gets the pole. If Ferrari gets it and assuming they are 5 HP down,

Baseline (3.5):
(990 - 940)*0.28 = 1.4

+10 HP (3.7):
(990 - 955)*0.28 = 1.0

This is interesting, because I am guessing the top 6 spread should be around 1 s. So qualifying could be very close to the top 6. So lets hope Honda fixes these new reliability issues in the next two weeks and we get to see a really good qualifying.
Can you do this calculation whit RB to see where is Mclaren compared to them whit chassis? or even better where would Mclaren be in Hungary and Singapoure whit their next years engine Renault?
Thanks
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Dimi
Dimi

Nowhere near rb, somewhere near renault chassis

dren

Well the Honda power was beating two Renault powered teams. The transmission issue was apparently due to heat issues from Alonso following too close to Palmer.
Honda!

Soichiro
Soichiro

GoranF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:22
So Ricciardo who started on the similar grid position as Alonso overtakes him for a lap.
That is how much better Renault is.
Chassis are simillar.
:lol:

1st Alonso had gearbox issues with upshifts.
2nd McLaren is not matching RedBull.
3rd Alonso did not run the last Honda spec engine.

Soichiro
Soichiro

ZakB wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:38
RIP Honda. Thank god McLaren will be back next year.
With the chassis they have, they would be fourth. If that means back, yeah I agree back to where they were before Honda. Honda won't die, don't worry. McLaren on the other hand might face some tough times.