2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Shrieker wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 01:00
If Alonso is influential on the Honda decision, he's totally not worth it; I say ditch him. What a primadonna crybaby. He's become a hysterical mess, look at his whinging about Palmer today in the race, even after he's retired lol. GET ON WITH THE RACE IDIOT. Poach Carlos Sainz and carry on with Honda. They bring a huge amount of money to the team, and a Renault engine is guaranteed to not win them a title even tho they may win a few races with it. I've read a good post about this from someone today. If Renault come up with the best engine (long shot), Red Bull will win the title, and not McLaren. They are sure to get second rate engines after the works Renault team and Red Bull. If Honda come up with the best engine (an even longer shot), McLaren will win. It's the wrong time to ditch Honda. Except if they're making an arrangement to reunite(unlikely) if/when things get fully sorted and Honda become super competitive.
Sh@t posts like the one above still live and shine and when I state my opinion even politely my posts gets suddenly deleted and I get downvoted. This shows how biased moderators are. This "Shrieker" guy or something is neither a McLaren nor a Honda supporter. He just comes here to throw sh@t for McLaren/Honda just for Alonso. He's a huge Hamilton fan boy and a sworn Alonso hater. I don't know really why you let such an idiotic post there, even calling Alonso an idiot. This shows your massive burn boy, your favorite driver is in the best car and cruising but you still come here to bash Alonso. (and no chance any other driver would survive in this Mc-Honda. You call Alonso a primadona while Ham is the king of them.). Imagine how big your burn is. I'm sure my post will be deleted. Yea for sure, nobody has the right to speak logically or support Alonso. Only Hamilton fans are allowed to throw sh@t in a McLaren topic. Good job admins ! And for the record, I respect every single driver on the grid. I also respect a lot Hamilton and Vettel, but haters like Shrieker really make me revise my opinion. The only reason I may talk "against" one driver is for blind guys like him.

As for the team now. Alonso must stay with McLaren and McLaren must stay with Honda. That's the best senario, no matter how "crazy" it sounds. Not even waiting 2018 for the engine finally to "grow" is utterly stupid.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

erlik wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 13:35
At the beginning I liked idea of Mclaren staying with Honda now I am of the next wish:

- Mclaren moves to Renault maybe visiting some podiums and in strange cases win races. In 2021 they switch to their own engines (Cosworth?) I am fan of Alonso but not that much interested where he goes next.
- Honda goes to STR and in 2019 to RB as they improve their performance in 2018.
- VW/Audi/Porsche enters F1 in 2021 with Williams maybe.
- 2024 F1 merges with Formula E making FE1
- 2026 humanity is forced to leave planet Earth due to unavoidable colision with meteor losing all interest in Mclaren, Honda, Renault and F1 in general.

Sorry for small OT :)

this is my signature
I'm really hoping BMW return as an engine supplier and partner with McLaren for 2021. They are partners in the automotive business, I hope that spills over towards the F1 side of things.

RedNEO

ALO_Power wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 13:43
Shrieker wrote:
If Alonso is influential on the Honda decision, he's totally not worth it; I say ditch him. What a primadonna crybaby. He's become a hysterical mess, look at his whinging about Palmer today in the race, even after he's retired lol. GET ON WITH THE RACE IDIOT. Poach Carlos Sainz and carry on with Honda. They bring a huge amount of money to the team, and a Renault engine is guaranteed to not win them a title even tho they may win a few races with it. I've read a good post about this from someone today. If Renault come up with the best engine (long shot), Red Bull will win the title, and not McLaren. They are sure to get second rate engines after the works Renault team and Red Bull. If Honda come up with the best engine (an even longer shot), McLaren will win. It's the wrong time to ditch Honda. Except if they're making an arrangement to reunite(unlikely) if/when things get fully sorted and Honda become super competitive.
Sh@t posts like the one above still live and shine and when I state my opinion even politely my posts gets suddenly deleted and I get downvoted. This shows how biased moderators are. This "Shrieker" guy or something is neither a McLaren nor a Honda supporter. He just comes here to throw sh@t for McLaren/Honda just for Alonso. He's a huge Hamilton fan boy and a sworn Alonso hater. I don't know really why you let such an idiotic post there, even calling Alonso an idiot. This shows your massive burn boy, your favorite driver is in the best car and cruising but you still come here to bash Alonso. (and no chance any other driver would survive in this Mc-Honda. You call Alonso a primadona while Ham is the king of them.). Imagine how big your burn is. I'm sure my post will be deleted. Yea for sure, nobody has the right to speak logically or support Alonso. Only Hamilton fans are allowed to throw sh@t in a McLaren topic. Good job admins ! And for the record, I respect every single driver on the grid. I also respect a lot Hamilton and Vettel, but haters like Shrieker really make me revise my opinion. The only reason I may talk "against" one driver is for blind guys like him.

As for the team now. Alonso must stay with McLaren and McLaren must stay with Honda. That's the best senario, no matter how "crazy" it sounds. Not even waiting 2018 for the engine finally to "grow" is utterly stupid.
Don't worry brother you are not alone. I disagree that McLaren must stay with Honda but nonetheless all these people who are saying Alonso is the reason McLaren are switching will be the last to thank Alonso for any of it next year if McLaren does really well with there new supplier.

RedNEO

McL-H wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 13:39
Really dissappointed as a longtime fan of this team.. I wished we could get the fat Yank and Frenchman out and make Ron return. That's the true McLaren leader.

R.I.P.
1966-2017
This is all Ron's doing, ofcourse he was not to know that Honda would be a disaster. But what have Zac and Eric done to deserve your displeasure exactly?

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

RedNEO wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 14:08
ALO_Power wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 13:43
Shrieker wrote:

Don't worry brother you are not alone. I disagree that McLaren must stay with Honda but nonetheless all these people who are saying Alonso is the reason McLaren are switching will be the last to thank Alonso for any of it next year if McLaren does really well with there new supplier.
I know that Honda failed but the only reason I have still some hope is just to see how the same layout will end up in the end of 2017 and of course 2018. Also, having a "works team" status and the luxury to have a "perfect" P.U-chassis integration is hugely important. I just think that they can't keep messing around and will finally get it right. But I may be wrong. I'd like to see the 2018 Honda P.U tho. Renault will definitely give better results but the chassis integration won't be nice and McLaren will be a customer again and a customer of the 3rd best supplier while they easily had Mercedes till 2014. Anyway, let's hope the best happens for this team. [-o<

RS200E

McL-H wrote:
Really dissappointed as a longtime fan of this team.. I wished we could get the fat Yank and Frenchman out and make Ron return. That's the true McLaren leader.

R.I.P.
1966-2017
The same Ron Dennis that caused this situation no thanks.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

RS200E wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 14:13
McL-H wrote:

R.I.P.
1966-2017
Yea, if it gets proven that Honda move was a mistake finally (I mean from next years) then the responsibility will sadly be all his.

RS200E

ALO_Power wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 14:15
RS200E wrote:
McL-H wrote:

R.I.P.
1966-2017
Yea, if it gets proven that Honda move was a mistake finally (I mean from next years) then the responsibility will sadly be all his.
Yup. Think Ron went with his heart on the deal. Wonder what Whitmarsh would have done. I don't think he was entirely to blame for the 2013 and 2014. He might have stuck with Mercedes and McLaren might have at least been 2nd best team for 2015 and maybe 2016, falling to 3rd best in 2017, but even that is tough to accept. In hindsight it would have been the better decision. But I'm wondering if Podromu would have joined McLaren if it stayed McLaren Mercedes.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Jolle
Jolle

RS200E wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 14:27
ALO_Power wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 14:15
RS200E wrote:

Yup. Think Ron went with his heart on the deal. Wonder what Whitmarsh would have done. I don't think he was entirely to blame for the 2013 and 2014. He might have stuck with Mercedes and McLaren might have at least been 2nd best team for 2015 and maybe 2016, falling to 3rd best in 2017, but even that is tough to accept. In hindsight it would have been the better decision. But I'm wondering if Podromu would have joined McLaren if it stayed McLaren Mercedes.
When Mercedes sold its McLaren shares and bought Brawn, they got downgraded from works team to customer team. At the time (and still), the only way to still be a works team is Honda. That’s why RedBull might be up for a Honda deal with STR, so they can abandon Renault in the near future to get the full works team privileges and status again.

In hindsight the Honda PU was a bad deal. At the time it was the only deal that made sense.

McL-H
McL-H

RS200E wrote:
McL-H wrote:

R.I.P.
1966-2017
The same Ron Dennis that won McLaren 8 Constructor Titles and 12 Driver Titles. And made McLaren win over 25% of all races it competed in. Thát Ron Dennis.

@RedNEO What causes my displeasure towards Boullier and Brown, are their ways of management. The way they talk bad of their partners in public is absolutely not done. How they approach these things are an embarassment to the McLaren name. You partner up with someone, you take the wins together and you overcome the losses together. Internal criticism, yes. But to the media you show some respect towards your partners.

In any business situation, a company that would openly treat its partners like the way Boullier & Brown treat Honda, they would be finished! No one would ever partner up with them ever again. These 2 have achieved jack **** in F1, yet they have the guts to play arrogant, to destroy McLaren's values and chances of winning races again.

This is no longer the team I used to support.

Thunder

McL-H wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 14:46
The same Ron Dennis that won McLaren 8 Constructor Titles and 12 Driver Titles. And made McLaren win over 25% of all races it competed in. Thát Ron Dennis.
I don't think Ron Dennis himself knows where to find that Guy though....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ZakB
ZakB

McL-H wrote:

R.I.P.
1966-2017
Everything in the past always looks better, which is the reason people still expect that Honda will deliver. Honda has 110 winless races now, F1 record is 119 (Honda). Good luck with that. McLaren just wants three good years and after that a lot will change in F1.
Last edited by ZakB on 04 Sep 2017, 15:20, edited 2 times in total.

nzjrs

McL-H wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 14:46
What causes my displeasure towards Boullier and the Fat Yank, are their ways of management. The way they talk bad of their partners in public is absolutely not done.
I've found Zak Brown nothing but professional.

McL-H
McL-H

ZakB wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 15:16
McL-H wrote:

R.I.P.
1966-2017
Everything in the past always looks better, which is the reason people still expect that Honda will deliver. Honda has 110 winless races now, F1 record is 119 (Honda). Good luck with that. McLaren just wants three good years and after that a lot will change in F1.
McLaren will not have 3 good years, going with Renault. They will be 4th team at max. Without a title sponsor, without prize money, without sufficient funds, without top personnel, becoming Williams 2.0. Good luck with that! =D>

Vasconia

wickedz50 wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 11:13
Vasconia wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 10:55
Andres125sx wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 08:35
So McLaren renounced to using best PU because they were a customer team, and now they´ll use third best PU as third customer team.... great deal McLaren!!! #-o :cry:

It doesn´t look like a great step but Honda is totally lost. What can McLaren do?
McLaren should withdraw from F1 racing. When there is no way to find a race winning engine that's the best option. Honda is not there and Renault is no better. Merc and Ferrari will never provide the engine with similar strength. Under this situation whats the point racing. As soon as some big teams start withdrawing the FIA will be bound to bring some changes to settle this disparity. The engine formula unanimity was taken by all the customer teams who did not even have a clue what the engine makers will be able to deliver.
Based on your logic all the teams except Mercedes and Ferrari should leave the competition.

I guess the McLaren-Renault deal is done. It will be a temporary change which will help McLaren to breathe, build a good car and collect many points and podiums while they wait to another engine supplier(Crosworth, Audi, BMW...who knows).