Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
DrDejan
DrDejan

Re: Honda Power Unit

Honda needs at least one more year to improve the PU to a competitive level, otherwise I don't understand why they've agreed on rescinding the contract with McLaren. There is no management that can justify a decision to move to a smaller team, with smaller budget for chassis and aero development and slower drivers, if they believe their PU in 2018 will be competitive. Horner comment that Honda will work in peace for a year at TR, without a need to perform at highest level, just confirms my suspicion.

I hope Honda had recognized the problems and have a plan in place to improve. Godspeed.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

HPD wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 19:20
I prefer to ignore the comments that do not contribute anything to the forum. Mr. @Chene

An interesting fact that was seen in the classification, and also Pedro de la Rosa said in movistar. It was the Mclaren Honda in the exit of some curves, it was launching white smoke. If .. oil, in small quantities.

Pedro made reference to some trick of oil burning, to improve the map of qualification. Albert said Honda has a map with 26 more Hp for qualifying.
Noticed the oil burn as well! (@ Mercedes too). Honda clearly got a quali map unlike Renault

MrPotatoHead

So now the qualifying mode is oil burning?
Come on guys.

This thread is too much at times.

Zynerji

I noticed the smoke plumes on the US broadcast, and thought oil as well. It looked less burnt in the combustion chamber, and more as an afterburner in the turbine exhaust.

Id be interested in the speculation of the effectiveness of burning oil in this manner, and the changes that it would make directly to MGU-H strategy.

Webber2011
Webber2011

MrPotatoHead wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 00:41
So now the qualifying mode is oil burning?
Come on guys.

This thread is too much at times.
I know very little about the way this oil burn works, I've learnt a bit here from you guys.
I do know what a worn engine letting a bit of oil past the rings, or an oil overfill looks like though.

MrPotatoHead, do you think it's maybe just something like this occurring ? ? ?

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

speaking as the person who introduced to the world the potential of oil burning about 5 years ago on this site ... I ask MrPotatoHead ......

how he thinks oil is burning in the atmosphere but not burning anywhere ahead of the turbine - and so not producing any power boost

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Surely it is more efficient to burn the oil in the combustion chamber where the pressure ratio is higher?

Could be something as simple as wonky turbine seals.

Singabule
Singabule

Mudflap wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 12:12
Surely it is more efficient to burn the oil in the combustion chamber where the pressure ratio is higher?

Could be something as simple as wonky turbine seals.
Yeah, as in merc.. We believe it :lol: :lol:

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

What is the point in Honda experimenting with oil burning now? Their current engine will probably expire this race or next and they will have to introduce a clean spec anyway.

MrPotatoHead

Tommy Cookers wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 10:40
speaking as the person who introduced to the world the potential of oil burning about 5 years ago on this site ... I ask MrPotatoHead ......

how he thinks oil is burning in the atmosphere but not burning anywhere ahead of the turbine - and so not producing any power boost
Don't get me wrong - a certain amount of oil will always be burnt in any engine and there is potential to extract a small amount of power from it if done properly (very low single digit percentage) - my comments about it are because many here are over exaggerating the difference it makes and acting like oil burn is how Mercedes makes more power in qualifying.
This is especially evident when Mercedes are now making more power than ever using their lowest oil consumption.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Alonso's car got holes everywhere and almost no sensors left alive after the crash... but the engine kept working :D

Sasha
Sasha

MrPotatoHead wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 15:46
Tommy Cookers wrote:

Don't get me wrong - a certain amount of oil will always be burnt in any engine and there is potential to extract a small amount of power from it if done properly (very low single digit percentage) - my comments about it are because many here are over exaggerating the difference it makes and acting like oil burn is how Mercedes makes more power in qualifying.
This is especially evident when Mercedes are now making more power than ever using their lowest oil consumption.
Alot of energy in oil and Mercedes fuel is a heavy witch brew. ;)

Sasha
Sasha

MrPotatoHead wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 15:46
Tommy Cookers wrote:

Alot of energy in oil and Mercedes fuel is a heavy witch brew. ;)

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

It'll be interesting to see what developments Honda continue to bring in 2017. I get that there might be an element of keeping them out of McLaren for secrecy reasons v Renault but more track time with updates means more data for the winter.

Honda would be wise to bring the Spec 4 and other improvements in 2017. Let see and I'd love to get a more technical breakdown of what they bring.

Sonador
Sonador

Is it legal to add oil to the petrol they use?