2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Singabule
Singabule

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

fellowhoodlums wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 11:48
You have to say that since Silverstone and Spec3, the car is pretty consistantly top 10 in Quali

If the season had started 4 months later.....
Dont worry, now and past is the same, Einstein mentioned it :lol: honda has the real Q3 mode after all

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

techman wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 11:49
Do you believe mclaren with a renault engine will beat redbull renault?
TR chassis is not as good as redbull , so let see in 2019 how the TR honda will do.
Now that's a very huge question that I can't wait to see answered in 2018. Of course, Red Bull is one of the best chassis makers and it will be awesome to have them both with the same P.U so we can evaluate. McLaren to be ahead of Red Bull in 2018 would be a milestone, considering that they don't have experience with the different Renault P.U (as you mentioned) and also after the "late change".

However, I do believe it's gonna be close (having Alonso onboard too hehe). For sure it's gonna be much better than 2017, with McLaren probably having the chance to score some podiums or maybe wins. Is this switch good for McLaren's future ? Probably not. It will only be a decent move if Honda keeps f@cking up the following years. However, if I was McLaren I'd probably stay with Honda, at least for 2018. I do believe in Honda's potential (and you can also say that I'm a bit of a Honda fan, too) but such weird and bold statements they were making recently changed my view a bit. But yes, I won't lie, my wish was McLaren-Honda to stay together. ( my secret wish would be Spec 4 to be really awesome and McLaren cancel the Renault engine swap ! :mrgreen: )

Anyway, what about today. Stoffel did an amazing qualifying, P7 ! Anyone knows if there was an issue with Alonso's car because he was unusually far behind.

zeph
zeph

fellowhoodlums wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 11:48
You have to say that since Silverstone and Spec3, the car is pretty consistantly top 10 in Quali

If the season had started 4 months later.....
True, but like Vandoorne said after qualifying today, they are a little better over one lap than an entire race, and the results back him up. Reaching Q3 is nice, but consistently finishing in the points is better.

loner

fellowhoodlums wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 10:50
Boullier confirming on Sky, one further Honda update and it'll be in Austin most probably.
its possible one unit will be available in Suzuka quoting Fabrega.
para bellum.

Alonso Fan

suzuka would be a good time to introduce the update, since they're not going to be quick there anyway. take the penalties and prep for Austin because they should be good there. I hope time is not too tight

and well done to vandoorne, good lap. was he running the new floor or Alonso?

Edit: Alonso still had the new floor, so awesome job by Vandoorne!

although 'my money' is still on Alonso for the start :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

HPD

Singapore. Our best opportunity, our super chassis. +1.8 sec of Vettle in Q3

Malaysia. Let's suffer, this will be humiliating, gp2 engine. +1.5 sg of Hamilton in Q3

Seriously I'm the only crazy in this forum? :roll:

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

• On one lap pace McLaren look to be definitively faster than Sauber, Toro Rosso, and Haas.
  • Since Great Britain, they have been faster in qualifying than Williams in all races barring Monza.
  • For the last 3 races they have split the Renaults.
  • Today, they split the Force Indias.
The races have been less competitive, and reliability has been a constant problem, but I'd generally put their true race pace ahead of Sauber, Toro Rosso and Haas in almost all circumstances. They are becoming competitive with Williams over a race distance now.

At some point during the remainder of the season I suspect they will race competitively with Renault, and perhaps Force India as well; quite an improvement.

Mad
Mad

HPD wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 14:09

Malaysia. Let's suffer, this will be humiliating, gp2 engine. +1.5 sg of Hamilton in Q3

Comeon, you know how it is..

It was Honda's fault that they were slow in Singapure...Probably drivability issue with the engine or something. The superior chassis couldn't compensate enough. Ask Boullier, he will tell you. Alonso blew a hole through the garage door after getting taken out, That should tell you how legendary the chassis is.

Legen...wait for it... Dary!! Legendary!!!!

techman
techman

good stuff. spot on

etusch

ALO_Power wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 12:23

Anyway, what about today. Stoffel did an amazing qualifying, P7 ! Anyone knows if there was an issue with Alonso's car because he was unusually far behind.
If there's a problem with his car I am sure it's engine. Because car is very good and new McLaren update work as expected(!!!)

ollandos
ollandos

alonso have more wet set up with more DF ...there is high possible rain for race ...

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Alonso had a poor final sector compared to Vandoorne, lost ~2 tenths.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Alonso topped speed in some corners suggesting he could be on more rainer setup.

https://twitter.com/hlawiczka/status/914108732279226368
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Alonso Fan

HPD wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 14:09

who said Malaysia would be humiliating?

I expected a decent qualy actually. it's a good circuit for aero. they've been relatively quick there for the last 3 years, I recall Alonso being p8 or p9 when retiring in 2015.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

etusch

They had good aero at 2015 too ?