2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

I think Verstappen said it right.

"If we had their (Mercedes/Ferrari) horsepower, they wouldn't even see us anymore"

As good as i think Mclaren's chassis is, i think they're still a good leap behind RedBull.
Mclaren makes a compromise of their aero to cope with the power loss, but people keep forgetting
that the same applies to RedBull.

Both RedBull as Mclaren can get more from their chassis with a better powerplant.

I don't believe for one second though that Mclaren is going to beat RedBull from their first incarnation of the Renault engine.
RedBull has been using and driving these Renault engines for years, it will be Mclaren's first ever. They're going to have to adapt
and correctly implement that engine and the way it works, whereas RedBull has this knowledge already, so they're already a step ahead.

I do believe Mclaren will make a good jump forward from where they're now, but then again, so will Renault works team, and then there's the
odd possibility that Toro Rosso will be supplied with a finally good Honda engine. Which means Toro Rosso could spoil things for all of them.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sayeman

Manoah2u wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 19:15
I do believe Mclaren will make a good jump forward from where they're now, but then again, so will Renault works team, and then there's the
odd possibility that Toro Rosso will be supplied with a finally good Honda engine. Which means Toro Rosso could spoil things for all of them.
Yeah but Torro-rosso needs a good driver in that team. Torpedo man and Rookie gasly wont do. Is button still available and interested?
Honda will be increasing their investment by 50% next year into PU development. It's the money they saved from not having to pay Alonso's salary and Mclaren sponsorship. Thats a lot of dough. Honda may surprise next year.
Never Give up.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I don't for a second believe Kvyat will be at Toro Rosso next year.

Gasly will 100% to replace Sainz. I don't think Kvyat will finish this season anyway, it'll be Gasly in his seat for the remainder.
I'm not confident Gasly is any better than Kvyat though, i get a Bourdais feeling with him, perhaps even a Pizzonia or Scott Speed, so honestly, not that impressive at all.

I don't think we'll see Button in F1 ever again though, and i really doubt he'd drive for Toro Rosso next year but well, who knows.
I rather expect Wehrlein to be there @ Toro Rosso next year even though i don't think that's positive at all, it's rather the most logical possibility out there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

loner

JB is long past his prime get over it life goes on
para bellum.

NathanOlder

Do people think the Renault chassis is way ahead of Force India's ? They seem to be a good match now but if the Renault is down on power that much, their chassis must be pretty good. In turn that says the Force India chassis isnt that good and Williams chassis is probably no better than Sauber
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sayeman

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 21:10
Do people think the Renault chassis is way ahead of Force India's ? They seem to be a good match now but if the Renault is down on power that much, their chassis must be pretty good. In turn that says the Force India chassis isnt that good and Williams chassis is probably no better than Sauber
Since force india brought that Nostril update last year, they have been constantly good. That chassis isn't bad..But williams is a different story.. Paddy lowe is taking the development to another direction...they have probably stopped developing this one.

Marko will be visiting Honda's headquarters after the Malaysian race i heard. Thats good, starting the collaboration early, i think things will go better than the last 3 years. Honda needed a kick in the backside, the divorce will provide that.

Sorry for being off topic.
Never Give up.

loner

latest rumor...
Honda turned up the PU in Malaysia for the first 8 laps for more 25 hp Perez and Vettel overtook Stoffel and ALO in the same time.
honda maybe will run this more 25 hp for the full race in Suzuka.
thats ofcourse if they will not debut spec 4 in Japan :mrgreen:
para bellum.

Sayeman

loner wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 21:24
latest rumor...
Honda turned up the PU in Malaysia for the first 8 laps for more 25 hp Perez and Vettel overtook Stoffel and ALO in the same time.
honda maybe will run this more 25 hp for the full race in Suzuka.
thats ofcourse if they will not debut spec 4 in Japan :mrgreen:
What about the 15hp quali mode?
Never Give up.

NathanOlder

Anyone know the chances of seeing spec 4 in suzuka ??
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

loner

Sayeman wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 21:30
they are using them already since SPA and they are 25 hp not 15
para bellum.

HPD

loner wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 21:34
Sayeman wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 21:30
they are using them already since SPA and they are 25 hp not 15
I hope you do not refer to my comment on the motor thread haha :lol:

This is the news, it is in Japanese and it is not understood much
https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/%E6%9 ... 9F-960323/

loner

HPD wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 21:39
I hope you do not refer to my comment on the motor thread haha :lol:

This is the news, it is in Japanese and it is not understood much
https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/%E6%9 ... 9F-960323/
the power unit qualy mode well known since Monza.
we could end up in japan with 1 spec 3.7 PU with more 25 hp for full race and the other PU is spec 4 :mrgreen:
para bellum.

etusch

Sayeman wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 19:24
Manoah2u wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 19:15
Yeah but Torro-rosso needs a good driver in that team. Torpedo man and Rookie gasly wont do. Is button still available and interested?
Honda will be increasing their investment by 50% next year into PU development. It's the money they saved from not having to pay Alonso's salary and Mclaren sponsorship. Thats a lot of dough. Honda may surprise next year.
It is too early to talk about gasly. Honda may choose to bring a Japanese driver to F1. But I think they don't need a good driver next season. They just need to get better and better in terms of power. This will give them Redbull deal which has verstappen. I don't like verstappen but he is damn fast.

NathanOlder

What Japanese drivers have a super licence for F1 ? Kamui , Takuma , Kazuki ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

diffuser

SEPANG Lap data
Lap length 5.543km (3.444 miles)
Full throttle 45%
Longest flat-out section 1029m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 40

SAZUKA Lap data
Lap length 5.807km (3.608 miles)
Full throttle 66%
Longest flat-out section 994m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 48

Almost 50% more full throttle time at Suzuka. That's what Really hurts the Honda PU.