Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

I believe is saw him with a 20 place penalty at the start grid on TV. I guess that must be for taking the 5th engine.

CriXus
CriXus

He had grid penalties, but Ferrari will make changes to the engines for safety issues. So i was wondering if Vettel can use 5 engines from Suzuka on without taking grid penalties?
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

wuzak
wuzak

CriXus wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 13:39
He had grid penalties, but Ferrari will make changes to the engines for safety issues. So i was wondering if Vettel can use 5 engines from Suzuka on without taking grid penalties?
He had ICE #5, MGUh #5 and TC #5 in Malaysia, which gave him a 20 place grid penalty.

So, he has 5 ICE, 5 TC and 5 MGUH with which to play. He has used 4 CE and ES, but only 3 MGUK.

More importantly, he has 2 of the latest spec ICE to run.

CriXus
CriXus

wuzak wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 14:26
CriXus wrote:
Yes, that's what i was thinking, he will be able to use the 2 ICEs.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Big Mangalhit

CriXus wrote:
There is a lot of components that you can change every race on the PU side. Including spark plugs, cables etc...

I think they must refer to that

Mattchu

Surely the fact Vettel had to put a new power unit in means at least one [or part of] is broken! Are the teams allowed to repair a broken ICE/PU part and put it back in the pool.
Do we know what actually broke, was it the ICE, MGUH or TC, all of which were replaced? If it was the ICE then surely that was a new spec one and is now written off and replaced with the one he did the race with.

So by my logic [probably wrong] if it was a new spec ICE, Vettel only has one new spec in his pool [the previos one is broke] plus the three old ones...so he still only has four ICE`s...If it was a different part then he may have 5 but only 4 or less of whatever broke.

](*,)

bergie88
bergie88

wuzak wrote:
CriXus wrote:
He had ICE #5, MGUh #5 and TC #5 in Malaysia, which gave him a 20 place grid penalty.

So, he has 5 ICE, 5 TC and 5 MGUH with which to play. He has used 4 CE and ES, but only 3 MGUK.

Would be interesting to know if the latest spec ICE is the spec which was to be introduced by Ferrari in Monza, but apparently wasn't. I think this is also the spec which Haas is using from the Belgium GP onwards. Does anybody have an idea about this?

wuzak
wuzak

bergie88 wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 18:49
wuzak wrote:
CriXus wrote:

Would be interesting to know if the latest spec ICE is the spec which was to be introduced by Ferrari in Monza, but apparently wasn't. I think this is also the spec which Haas is using from the Belgium GP onwards. Does anybody have an idea about this?
From what I understand, Haas are using Spec 3.

The ones Vettel used in Malaysia (both the one that failed in qualifying and the one used in the race) were spec 4. They were due to be debuted in Japan.

wuzak
wuzak

Mattchu wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 17:55
Surely the fact Vettel had to put a new power unit in means at least one [or part of] is broken! Are the teams allowed to repair a broken ICE/PU part and put it back in the pool.
Do we know what actually broke, was it the ICE, MGUH or TC, all of which were replaced? If it was the ICE then surely that was a new spec one and is now written off and replaced with the one he did the race with.

So by my logic [probably wrong] if it was a new spec ICE, Vettel only has one new spec in his pool [the previos one is broke] plus the three old ones...so he still only has four ICE`s...If it was a different part then he may have 5 but only 4 or less of whatever broke.

](*,)
The one he had an issue with had some sort of electrical issue. Something that would be impossible to trace/rectify between practice and qualifying.

But not a failure of a controlled item of the PU.

The failures of Seb and Kimi's engines were said to be an intake pipe. Possibly different to before due to the new cooling configuration.

This would almost certainly fall outside the controlled scope of the PU.

Sevach
Sevach

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/06/f ... -malaysia/

Binotto on what happened in Malaysia and how the team responded.

F1NAC

Sevach wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 14:32
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/10/06/f ... -malaysia/

Binotto on what happened in Malaysia and how the team responded.
So it wasnt turbo's fault (not moderator one)

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

I would guess it's an adhesive joint failure.

CriXus
CriXus

According to @SmilexTech (contributor for funoanalisitechnica.com), Ferrari and Mercedes have the same spark plugs supplier from Japan. It's not about quality control, Ferrari's latest evolution (Evo 4) of the ICE was not designed for the post Monza oil burning limit and to recover for the loss of power they used more aggressive approach in the combustion, but that caused more stress on spark plugs.

MrPotatoHead

CriXus wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 19:21
According to @SmilexTech (contributor for funoanalisitechnica.com), Ferrari and Mercedes have the same spark plugs supplier from Japan. It's not about quality control, Ferrari's latest evolution (Evo 4) of the ICE was not designed for the post Monza oil burning limit and to recover for the loss of power they used more aggressive approach in the combustion, but that caused more stress on spark plugs.
I don't buy that. Sounds like more internet wild speculation.

Especially when the problems from the last race were not the same as encountered at Japan.
And both Lewis and Seb had spark plugs changed on the grid.

Vortex Motio
Vortex Motio

Interesting series of 10 tweets a few hours ago from PG Tعch (@SmilexTech): https://twitter.com/SmilexTech in Italian.

Bing and google mangler wrestle with translation so if an Italian speaker can discern his info that would benefit many

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk