Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit

Dimi wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 07:54
Track requirements will affect mguh much more than the ambient temp.
Motogp riders complained a lot about this circuit during last motogp race because of it is too much bumpy. Riders said it can't be raceable if it doesn't resurfaced. It looks like problem is wibrations again. When they handled this their reliability is not that bad. Main problem is power.

restless
restless

Wazari wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 06:47
MGU-H problems are related to operating temp issues.

Not sure if I am allowed to mention anything about the "Spec 4" PU, but the complete Spec 4 PU will not be run in any races this season. Some components may be installed in the current "Spec 3" platform but not the complete "Spec 4". Yes, there are Spec 4 PU's built and tested.
Are you implying that mounting "spec4" ICE needs chassis changes (due to different cooling, center of gravity, position of engine elements, etc) ?
I can see why Mclaren won't be happy to put resources in chassis redesign late in season when they are already 2months late with 2018 design...

Dimi
Dimi

etusch wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 08:38
Dimi wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 07:54
Track requirements will affect mguh much more than the ambient temp.
Motogp riders complained a lot about this circuit during last motogp race because of it is too much bumpy. Riders said it can't be raceable if it doesn't resurfaced. It looks like problem is wibrations again. When they handled this their reliability is not that bad. Main problem is power.
Agree, i speak for the case that the problem was the operating temp.

dren

Wazari wrote:
Thanks for that tidbit!

Not able to control operating temp so then adverse expansion effects? Is it on the mechanical side or electrical? We haven't really discussed issues on the electrical side potentially causing the failures. It could be deployment strategy on a track by track basis if it's electrical.
Honda!

HPD

Translated with Google.
Early in the season there were many troubles in the bearing of the shaft connecting the turbo and the MGU - H, but since the trouble did not come out due to repeated improvements by the middle of the season. Besides, a new item just put on Saturday of Japan GP broke in the second game. Even looking at other individuals, it is not such a distance that life is very long.

Since it is difficult to investigate the cause at the work site, we decided to send back the power unit that was unloaded from the car body to HRD Sakura for analysis.

"We have been keeping detailed measures for a long time and we have not had trouble recently, similar to the trouble of MGU-H that happened so far that damage accumulates little by little in the bearing system and it deteriorates and sticks However, I do not yet know whether the same trouble or not is not yet broken by mileage, so it may be due to poor quality associated with a lot of parts and if not analyzed properly then what I do not know if I should do it. "(Nakamura Engineer)

Every machine product degrades by using it repeatedly, and its performance declines. Vandoorne MGU-H, which had reached a mileage when used from the summer vacation, had accumulated damage at a rate faster than expected.

"From the data point of view, I knew that it was getting worse gradually from free practice on Saturday, but from that trend I thought that I could run the race this weekend, so let's go straight However, when I saw the data when I ran the engine on Sunday morning, I noticed that the trend of deterioration had progressed faster than I thought, and the possibility that I can not finish the race as it is I also thought that it was probably preserved, but it was a bit of a grim line "(Nakamura Engineer).

Honda has introduced an improved ICE (internal combustion engine) called "Spec. 3.8" at this US GP

"I changed the combustion chamber so that the combustion efficiency gets better, since I got a reasonable gain (share) on the data, I can confirm that 3.8 is working properly" (Yuusuke Hasegawa F1 General Manager )

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_4.php

gofast182
gofast182

makecry wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 08:31
Hino wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 06:55
Wazari wrote:

Not sure if I am allowed to mention anything about the "Spec 4" PU, but the complete Spec 4 PU will not be run in any races this season. Some components may be installed in the current "Spec 3" platform but not the complete "Spec 4". Yes, there are Spec 4 PU's built and tested.
Thanks for that clarification!
But I dont get the point. Dyno to track correlation issues have been very well known. If the Spec 4 is as good as everyone seems to talk about, why not put in the PU, show McLaren that they were wrong and get some real world testing too?

Are the components modular though? Can you put one component from the spec4 into "current" spec and it will just work out of box?
These are my questions/concerns as well, given correlation issues. Can you elaborate on how it has been tested? Dyno only or did Honda finally get crafty and put it in another type of chassis?

PlatinumZealot

Wazari wrote:

Hmm. I know you hinted before that it won't be happening this season, but thanks for finally confirming it. What a bummer. I look forward to the Spec four in Abu Dhabi testing though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

godlameroso

dren wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 13:14
Wazari wrote:
Thanks for that tidbit!

Not able to control operating temp so then adverse expansion effects? Is it on the mechanical side or electrical? We haven't really discussed issues on the electrical side potentially causing the failures. It could be deployment strategy on a track by track basis if it's electrical.

Notice how the turbine housing is shrouded in a thick heat shield? Otherwise I don't know what else could lead to operating temperature issues.
Saishū kōnā

FW17

What are those big hoses connecting the intake manifold to cylinder head? are they the intake pipes? It looks flexible.

dren

FW17 wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 19:16

What are those big hoses connecting the intake manifold to cylinder head? are they the intake pipes? It looks flexible.
Those are the intake runners from the manifold to the head. There are 6 total.
Honda!

FW17

dren wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 19:45
FW17 wrote:

But aren't they usually variable length as per rpm? Is it possible to have a changing length trumpet with a coiled pipe? Never seen a intake pipe that wide either.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

FW17 wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 20:31
dren wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 19:45
FW17 wrote:

But aren't they usually variable length as per rpm? Is it possible to have a changing length trumpet with a coiled pipe? Never seen a intake pipe that wide either.
The runners don't end at the plenum, but rather extend inside. The terminations of the runners within the plenum are movable trumpets.

Brake Horse Power
Brake Horse Power

Do these turbo charged engines have variable intakes? If so, it is only to add some 'low rpm' power? As soon as the TC kicks in variable intakes don't add power?

mrluke
mrluke

godlameroso wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 18:51

Notice how the turbine housing is shrouded in a thick heat shield? Otherwise I don't know what else could lead to operating temperature issues.
You want to keep as much heat in the turbine as possible.

the MGU-h is in the "vee" surrounded by hot engine buried under a load of intake manifold, airbox, electrical wiring etc, probably with some nice juicy HV cables running fairly close and about the furthest point in the car from any access to fresh air for ventilation.

To me there seems to be lots of reasons why it is challenging to control the temperature of this device.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

[quote="Brake Horse Power"]
Do these turbo charged engines have variable intakes? If so, it is only to add some 'low rpm' power? As soon as the TC kicks in variable intakes don't add power? [/quote]

imo
variable tuned length intakes increase induction pressure differences at all rpm within their range
(in the same proportion of absolute induction pressure as with NA race engines)
and so increases PU power
because their action reduces the supercharge pressure and power needed for the required massflow and so increases MGU-H recovered power