2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

So the season is finally over, another mediocre season for Mclaren. On the positive note, I liked how the aero-developments worked, but I'm kinda disappointed from Vandorne performance over the hole year but hey...its only his first season.

Hopefully we will back at (near) the front next year.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

damager21
damager21

bauc wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 17:25
So the season is finally over, another mediocre season for Mclaren. On the positive note, I liked how the aero-developments worked, but I'm kinda disappointed from Vandorne performance over the hole year but hey...its only his first season.

Not too bad for Vandorne I would argue. He ends the season on 13 points Vs. 17 points for Alonso. Points is what matters so I think he did really well in the 2nd half. First half was a disaster for him.

Was really disappointed when he threw away points at Monaco, crashing out due to cold tyres. I am sure he will come back much stronger next year and lets not forget that Alonso is a beast.

f1universe
f1universe

He ends the season on 13 points Vs. 17 points for Alonso. Points is what matters so I think he did really well in the 2nd half. First half was a disaster for him.
Point s don't tell the whole story, Alonso lost many many points and not because it was his faut.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Mediocre!? 4th would have been mediocre, the season was flippin dire.

Back in 2015 i bet all my upvotes that Mclaren honda wouldnt win a thing. I should have bet all my money!
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

etusch

Joseki wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 17:16
https://i.redditmedia.com/4bSJEXNxQXjKg ... 66c56a3c6d

Let's hope it's true.
With Honda powered car ? Wait for Renault powered car man.

etusch

Facts Only wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 18:31

Back in 2015 i bet all my upvotes that Mclaren honda wouldnt win a thing. I should have bet all my money!
If there were everything normal mclaren can be 4th and I am sure they will be. If they can put on what they already have, they can be a bit closer to 3rd team and maybe they can be 3rd at some circuits with help of Alo's talent. But I am sure they could be 4th again if they keep going with honda a bit away from 3rd team this time.

diffuser

etusch wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 18:47
Facts Only wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 18:31

If there were everything normal mclaren can be 4th and I am sure they will be. If they can put on what they already have, they can be a bit closer to 3rd team and maybe they can be 3rd at some circuits with help of Alo's talent. But I am sure they could be 4th again if they keep going with honda a bit away from 3rd team this time.
I wish Honda well with STR.

etusch

Yusuke Hasegawa: "Today's final race as McLaren Honda was emotional for all the team, but it was also a good result on track with both cars taking the chequered flag, and Fernando scoring some more championship points.
"After making a good start, Fernando kept chasing down Williams' Felipe Massa and he succeeded to overtake into P9, utilising the team's great pit-stop strategy. Stoffel also pushed very hard and finished a strong P12 despite suffering early damage to his car. Overall, I am proud of both drivers for showing their best performance without giving up at any point during this tough season.
"We were able to show stabilised PU performance over the last few races to round out the season, which considering the tough start to our year, we can take as a positive step forward.
"The last three years have been extremely challenging, but I would like to express my sincere appreciation to the McLaren Honda drivers and team members for all of their relentless hard work. And, of course, to all our fans who have kept us going with their incredible support.
"Honda Racing F1 is now fully focused on the development for 2018 and we will make our best efforts in order to have a good start in the coming winter testing.
"Finally, we wish McLaren every success with their new partner."

kenc
kenc

Was going to be a make-or-break year for this partnership, especially as they have one of the best drivers on the grid in the team.

Can't help thinking if this late season apparent improvement is an indication of what is to come for Toro Rosso next year and that McLaren have made a huge mistake. With the way they split, i wonder if McLaren have actually made their choice of engine supplier one less than all their rivals? Would Honda ever allow them to become a customer again?

Webber2011
Webber2011

etusch wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 22:25
Yusuke Hasegawa: "Today's final race as McLaren Honda was emotional for all the team, but it was also a good result on track with both cars taking the chequered flag, and Fernando scoring some more championship points.
"After making a good start, Fernando kept chasing down Williams' Felipe Massa and he succeeded to overtake into P9, utilising the team's great pit-stop strategy. Stoffel also pushed very hard and finished a strong P12 despite suffering early damage to his car. Overall, I am proud of both drivers for showing their best performance without giving up at any point during this tough season.
"We were able to show stabilised PU performance over the last few races to round out the season, which considering the tough start to our year, we can take as a positive step forward.
"The last three years have been extremely challenging, but I would like to express my sincere appreciation to the McLaren Honda drivers and team members for all of their relentless hard work. And, of course, to all our fans who have kept us going with their incredible support.
"Honda Racing F1 is now fully focused on the development for 2018 and we will make our best efforts in order to have a good start in the coming winter testing.
"Finally, we wish McLaren every success with their new partner."
Very polite way to end the relationship and nothing short of what I'd expect from Honda

They know they've been a failure, and have been very dissapointed with their performance in the partnership

Oh well, all I can say is that it's a huge shame, but............

I hope both McLaren and Honda make big steps next season 😉

Vasconia

bauc wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 17:25

2013 was mediocre, this one has been really bad.

At least the good points are that the chasis is quite good so if they continue developing it, McLaren should be regularly between 6-8th, with a chance for something more in Hungary and similar tracks.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Petrobras will probably sponsor McLaren next year, which would be great news. Brown also said an American sponsor will come to the team.

RonDennis
RonDennis

techman wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 10:55
iam not trolling , i am telling the raw truth . if you people believe mclaren have such an amazing chassis. why cant you say openly that mclaren will beat redbull in the constructor title next year end. You cant because inside you know that mclaren is NEVER an efficient chassis as redbull.
i also posted a link few pages ago where mclaren intentionally ran heavy downforce in brazil and it was reported by honda engineers to reporter . and some of you came and said its a japanese article so he is biased towards honda. so do you expect me to believe a british guy saying honda lacks so much bhp. yeah right!!. no wonder mr brundle guy is praising the british team mclaren. NO SUPRISE. i wonder what he will say when mclaren are behind redbull next season. I guess he might say renault engine in redbull is little bit more powerfull.
What's up with your McLaren hate? Stop acting like Red Bull are some gods. Even in their winning years McLaren produced cars that were just as good. Maybe you should run the aero department of McLaren, because you seem to know a whole lot about it. =D>

HPD

etusch wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 18:47
I share your opinion.
Fighting for fourth place in the constructors' championship is not bad. This will give Mclaren a financial break and his image as a company.

Honda must focus to win the championship in 2019 with Red Bull. I think Honda will come to the championship long before Mclaren.

What was once Mclaren Honda today became a Mclaren vs. Honda. Sad....

bauc

Petrobras to sponsor McLaren in 2018?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns37858.html
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg