Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Honda Power Unit

Where does it say that it generates and motors at the same time ?

roon
roon

I just mean the dual stator feature. I didn't realize it was an existing type of motor design. I don't know if you'd ever want to regen while motoring in FE.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

there are more prosaic and conventional reasons for wanting 2 stators ....
in Formua E and elsewhwere

reading US Patent 254894A and other IP of machines would apparently tell you
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 02 Feb 2018, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

I'm pretty sure twin stators are older than most of us

Wazari

bigblue wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 21:56
So wazari, why would you patent technologies used in F1 ? Doesn't that make all your "secrets" public ?
Because they're not strictly for F1. Secrets being made public isn't the issue. Anyone can try to copy an idea. The question is do they fully understand the idea, do they have all the resources to implement that idea and if stolen then a patent can help you protect your idea, assuming you have the resources to enforce that patent.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Zynerji

I have a friend that had a patent once.

$150k in court fees to get a $20k settlement that the guy never paid.

Also, changing the wire colors was enough to get away with most of the violation.

I'm not a big fan of patents unless it is a quickly licens-able technology.

Wazari

Zynerji wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 03:34
I have a friend that had a patent once.

$150k in court fees to get a $20k settlement that the guy never paid.

Also, changing the wire colors was enough to get away with most of the violation.

I'm not a big fan of patents unless it is a quickly licens-able technology.
Off topic but I'm sorry to hear that. I assume your friend spent $150K in legal fees not court costs. It probably never went to trial. IMO, he got milked by this attorney as a preliminary discovery by his attorney should have given him a good idea of his chances of recovery and for what amount. This usually can be done with only 2-3 hours of billable time. Three of us went through the same thing as co-owners of a patent infringement case. It cost us $25K in legal fees to reach a $4.5 million settlement against a large company.

I understand that Amazon is airing a four-part documentary on McLaren-Honda's last season. Now it makes sense on the extra camera crews that were in the pits and winter testing. I wonder if they will cover all the pre-season difficulties they had with the PU dimensions. This could be somewhat comical. We already know the Honda bashing will be there.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

ringo

Alonso is now saying Renault are providing more solid numbers than Honda did and he is more confident in them.
Was Honda being equivocal with the progress of their engine with Mclaren in the past 3 years and will the change with Torro Rosso?
For Sure!!

ringo

Wazari wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 01:57
If you don't suffer from eternal optimism then you don't belong in auto-racing. Also back in 2015, I was pretty sure that McLaren Honda would have grabbed a couple of podiums in 2016.

The reason I don't think the combustion process design will be duplicated is that after numerous patent searches, I have applied for six different patents for this design.
So.. you are out of Retirement and back on the Honda F1 engineering team? :wink:
For Sure!!

godlameroso

He didn't mention a time frame?
Saishū kōnā

Snorked
Snorked

Wazari wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 05:22

I understand that Amazon is airing a four-part documentary on McLaren-Honda's last season. Now it makes sense on the extra camera crews that were in the pits and winter testing. I wonder if they will cover all the pre-season difficulties they had with the PU dimensions. This could be somewhat comical. We already know the Honda bashing will be there.
Some comments from those that have previewed it says it covers the engine not fitting in the car, the gearbox not fitting to the engine and the engine failing to fire up when they first received it.

How does the misfitting happen? In the recent interview Honda have waxed lyrical about Toro Rosso listening to them on integrating the PU, so did McLaren simply ignore them :?

And there's no way this will be unbiased having the same producer who did a hit piece on Prost in the Senna documentary. Also looking at the credits on IMDB, there's not one Honda employee that features :wtf:

techman
techman

another honda bashing video made by mclaren team. mclaren wanted the money from them and also to put all the blame on honda. and this was there opportunity to do so. and they knew alonso will say bad about honda so it basically perfect drama for TV. wonder if the production team ever talk to honda engineers about their difficulties faced by mclaren as wazari pointed out. anyway what will be funny if mclaren fail to match redbull in terms of pace having boasted about their chassis as the one of the best. if they didnt match them, it will only make mclaren look like fools and expose that chassis which i always believed was overated due to running more downforce to look good on corners and not as efficient as a redbull. unfortuanetly for honda there was no strong leader to defend them. hopefully this new honda leader is not scared to speak up orelse the media will only listen to a one side story.

dren

Snorked wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 11:05
Wazari wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 05:22

Some comments from those that have previewed it says it covers the engine not fitting in the car, the gearbox not fitting to the engine and the engine failing to fire up when they first received it.

How does the misfitting happen? In the recent interview Honda have waxed lyrical about Toro Rosso listening to them on integrating the PU, so did McLaren simply ignore them :?

And there's no way this will be unbiased having the same producer who did a hit piece on Prost in the Senna documentary. Also looking at the credits on IMDB, there's not one Honda employee that features :wtf:
The communication between two very technically capable companies couldn't have been that bad? Was this a year on year issue with the PU dimensions?
Honda!

jesa7271
jesa7271

7 months later... circuit Monza

Brendan Hartley in the Toro Rosso is driving behind Alonso.
Franz Tod is saying over the radio .. get that GP2 driver...
They drive through variante ascari and before curva paribolica the Honda powered Toro Rosso shows his heels.
After curva paribolica the Toro Rosso disappears in the distance.
Alonso realized he made mistake number ...... how much by now ?

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Wazari wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 03:09
bigblue wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 21:56
So wazari, why would you patent technologies used in F1 ? Doesn't that make all your "secrets" public ?
Because they're not strictly for F1. Secrets being made public isn't the issue. Anyone can try to copy an idea. The question is do they fully understand the idea, do they have all the resources to implement that idea and if stolen then a patent can help you protect your idea, assuming you have the resources to enforce that patent.
Im sure those amateurs at Ferrari and Mercedes lack the resources and brainpower to make sense of such good ideas.