General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
baybars
baybars

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 02:07
Renault is at a rumoured 950hp right now.. so it will be tough.
it is info based on official Renault sport web wage.
Beginning of the last year RE17 :More than 900hp
Beginning of the this year RE18:More than 950hp

https://www.renaultsport.com/-formula-1-car-.html

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

And Honda info is based on what?

McMika98
McMika98

ivanlesk wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 10:44
Thats the scary bit. By Honda admission they were behind Renault and quite far away from the others. No numbers but as cited by many it was below 900. Renault have found more than 50 hp gain from last year which i thought was not possible. Was expecting a maximum of 30 hp gain but this is quite phenomenal as they seem to also have figured out the reliability. Less than a week or so to find out the real life figures and not just dyno numbers.

GhostF1
GhostF1

McMika98 wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 12:51
ivanlesk wrote:
Thats the scary bit. By Honda admission they were behind Renault and quite far away from the others. No numbers but as cited by many it was below 900. Renault have found more than 50 hp gain from last year which i thought was not possible. Was expecting a maximum of 30 hp gain but this is quite phenomenal as they seem to also have figured out the reliability. Less than a week or so to find out the real life figures and not just dyno numbers.
They likely only found another 20 or so. As at the start of the season they quoted over 900, And they were definitely making more by seasons end. So to quote 950 at the start this year. Safe to say they found 20-30 over the winter.

techman
techman

quite the opposite honda have said they are close to renault end of last season and will overtake them this season by mid.

dren

GhostF1 wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 13:00
McMika98 wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 12:51
ivanlesk wrote:
They likely only found another 20 or so. As at the start of the season they quoted over 900, And they were definitely making more by seasons end. So to quote 950 at the start this year. Safe to say they found 20-30 over the winter.
That's probably more realistic. I remember at one point late last season, a fuel upgrade gave Red Bull a grid spot jump.
Honda!

McMika98
McMika98

My premise is that Renault were just over 900 last season. They prolly could have hit 920 but due to reliability worries they never pushed it. So its a big jump in terms of being able to run at that power for longer.
The new Honda engine souds so much better in braking now. Hope they are also above 950.

baybars
baybars

techman wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 13:03
quite the opposite honda have said they are close to renault end of last season and will overtake them this season by mid.
I think we can keep the same ratio of the increasing of the power but it is difficult to catch up Mercedes or Ferrari," Hasegawa told Autosport.
"I really want to move ahead of Renault in terms of performance before the end of the season."(2017)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13114 ... -this-year

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

I keep reading this forum, and one thing stands out. Why (you) people think Honda will pass Renault? You all think Renault won't (or Merc or Ferrari) develop for 6months or so?

McMika98
McMika98

ivanlesk wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 22:05
I keep reading this forum, and one thing stands out. Why (you) people think Honda will pass Renault? You all think Renault won't (or Merc or Ferrari) develop for 6months or so?
We keep hearing that at some point it should converge, but the gains keep coming even at top. The question is why do Honda bosses the likes of Hasegawa (bless him) keep thinking that way and expect to overtake likes of Renault. Hence my dismay at Honda prolly starting at the back again. Surely they know must by now, to not take it by granted.

daren_p
daren_p

techman wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 13:03
Honda have said a lot of things in the past, but saying something & something actually happening can be two different things.

ivanlesk wrote:
That seems to be even one of Honda's issues in the past, every year they themselves seem a bit shocked after winter testing with how much gains all the other manufacturers have made. Its as if each off season they don't expect anyone else to make gains & then are a little shocked when this isn't the case.

Each season there are reports & "insiders" who are impressed with how well things are going on the dyno & then shocked when the performance doesn't translate on track. Will be interesting to see what happens this year.....

GhostF1
GhostF1

McMika98 wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 22:19
ivanlesk wrote:
We keep hearing that at some point it should converge, but the gains keep coming even at top. The question is why do Honda bosses the likes of Hasegawa (bless him) keep thinking that way and expect to overtake likes of Renault. Hence my dismay at Honda prolly starting at the back again. Surely they know must by now, to not take it by granted.
I doubt it's ignorance on Honda's side. At the end of 2017, the Honda was relatively close to Renault, it's been said many times they were much closer than perceived. They were likely 20ish hp apart. Renault are claiming 950+ and Honda has apparently achieved the 700kW goal (roughly 940hp). So this puts them within earshot. Again. 10-20 between them. Honda are hoping the relentless development pace they've showed will allow them to jump. It's hardly disrespect to Renault, it's optimism on their part to overtake the first direct competitor.
Again. Testing will be a great thing to watch this year. And Melbourne will be extremely interesting.

etusch

ivanlesk wrote:
If you think the way that if someone at front it will remain same ever, it is really impossible to watch a race on track and race in engineering, every kind of competition. I expect from Honda to built an engine better than Mercedes, not only renault. But I expect them to beat Renault this year. Honda also planning to do this as I understand. And everything is, will you be able to achieve you objective or not. So the strange thing is what you said.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

So strange is the unrealistic thinking you have...

No, what's strange is thinking you'll never catch the person/team in front of you. If everyone thought like that then the only teams that would be showing up in Melbourne since 2015 would be Merc.