2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

RonDennis
RonDennis

r101 wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 10:34
I do not think we have enough data to analyze McLaren's speed right now. They themselves said that the car that shows up in Australia will be totally different to this test mule. I think they are testing some specific areas like engine implementation, suspension, front wing..
According to various stories McLaren can't use full power yet because of cooling issues. We also know that Renault has a new improved Melbourne spec and that McLaren will bring a new package to Australia. I doubt it that McLaren will be as far of the pace as some 'experts' are trying to make it look, but let's wait and see.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 14:25
r101 wrote:
I do not think we have enough data to analyze McLaren's speed right now. They themselves said that the car that shows up in Australia will be totally different to this test mule. I think they are testing some specific areas like engine implementation, suspension, front wing..
According to various stories McLaren can't use full power yet because of cooling issues. We also know that Renault has a new improved Melbourne spec and that McLaren will bring a new package to Australia. I doubt it that McLaren will be as far of the pace as some 'experts' are trying to make it look, but let's wait and see.
I believe that's an accurate assessment. Pre-launch, Prodromou stated that they'd been focusing on a race one upgrade for the last 2 or 3 months. Basically, the pre-season is all about engine compatibility with their packaging, evaluating the rear suspension and some other bits.
Like I said in an earlier post, their pre-season program vastly differs from the other Renault teams, so let's stay optimistic. Hopefully the Melbourne spec PU that Renault will provide will be at a decent level.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Redragon

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 12:28
proteus wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 12:00
Aparently Zak Brown has his eyes in the direction of Williams sponsors. This means the competitoon will be fierce between these two teams on the circuit and off it as well.
That's really intriguing. Any chance you could expand on that, which sponsors specifically?
Discard Martini as they are completely out of F1

proteus

Ground Effect wrote:
proteus wrote:
Aparently Zak Brown has his eyes in the direction of Williams sponsors. This means the competitoon will be fierce between these two teams on the circuit and off it as well.
That's really intriguing. Any chance you could expand on that, which sponsors specifically?
The info is scarce, but Claire Williams made a clear statement that Zak wont get any of their sponsors without a fight.

https://www.facebook.com/racefansdotnet ... 27/?type=3
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

proteus wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 15:23
Ground Effect wrote:
proteus wrote:
The info is scarce, but Claire Williams made a clear statement that Zak wont get any of their sponsors without a fight.

Wow! Thanks for the update, a lot to look out for
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 13:22
Don't know if that was a joke, but😂
They are main Williams sponsors.
And crapy drivers.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

McG

Singabule wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 05:26
Agree, MCL currently only 5th best, very close to renault works. Thats massive improvement from both team.
How on earth can you get that idea when McLaren don't even know themselves. No one knows!
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

McG

Redragon wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 04:49
Well obviously is just the first test and final conclusions can't be made but I don't think @GoranF1 is far from reality
So far it is what we all knew or expected 1. Mercedes 2. Ferrari 3. Redbull 4 or 5 Renault or Mclaren.
It looks like the 4th would be depending on what Renault is gonna do to determining if Mclaren is 4th or 5th
By reading Sky analysis, BBC and other main media from the first week all coincide around the same terms.
So it is not to crazy to say Mclaren is 5th at this stage
You're giving Renault a lot of positivity. Why not Williams with its first full Paddy Lowe car or Force India the Mercedes B team with 2 great drivers. Red Bull could get it wrong and Ferrari could be ahead of Mercedes. NO ONE KNOWS AND YOU ARE JUST GUESSING.

It's just all very daft guessing after that test.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Redragon

McG wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 18:15
Redragon wrote:
Well obviously is just the first test and final conclusions can't be made but I don't think @GoranF1 is far from reality
So far it is what we all knew or expected 1. Mercedes 2. Ferrari 3. Redbull 4 or 5 Renault or Mclaren.
It looks like the 4th would be depending on what Renault is gonna do to determining if Mclaren is 4th or 5th
By reading Sky analysis, BBC and other main media from the first week all coincide around the same terms.
You're giving Renault a lot of positivity. Why not Williams with its first full Paddy Lowe car or Force India the Mercedes B team with 2 great drivers. Red Bull could get it wrong and Ferrari could be ahead of Mercedes. NO ONE KNOWS AND YOU ARE JUST GUESSING.

Man can you read?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 15:59
proteus wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Lol, Randstad and Hackett @ Mclaren announced soon then :mrgreen:

And It'll be a Orange-Blue Martini - liveried Mclaren F1 Team - Renault partnered by Martini.

that's why Mclaren's car is so empty, there's gonna be Martini livery on it next year :mrgreen:

here's a quick photoshop i did :mrgreen:

"Zak can try but he'll have a fight on his hands. I don't give sponsors up easily. They're our lifeblood."
Funny, Hackett, Randstad gone, Martini gone in 2019. Yeah, she has put up quite the fight, but is losing lifeblood gushing out and fixes it with Sirotkin money and Stroll money, the latter last year seemingly having a less than positive discussion and potentially moving out of Williams together with all their money because no results are coming, and with the amount of money leaving Williams now, i'm doubtfull they'll be able to improve.

Which would make the 'exodus' of sponsors at Williams actually something worrying, compared to the as already shown little worrying 'sponsor exodus' at Mclaren (so much discussed at the year's end) only due to the termination of the Honda relationship.

I'm also quite confident Zak can throw a harder punch than Claire if we're looking at business and fights for sponsors.

She must still be sore about losing PetroBras a while ago and it's now prominently on Mclaren and actually becoming a real partnership , and not to forget there's perhaps still 'pain' from Lenovo moving from Williams to Mclaren in 2009 :lol:

Would be seriously 'funny' if Hackett and Randstad move to Mclaren, and then Martini for 2019. That would mean we'd see Mclaren having 'taken' PetroBras, Martini, Hackett, Randstad, and imagine if Rexona follows too :lol:
Hell, i wouldn't be surprised if 'Banco Do Brazil' returns with Mclaren sooner or later due to the PetroBras pairing and surely Brazil's 'next' F1 driver will be in Mclaren's development driver programme for 2019.

Stroll family moving out would be a neckshot for Williams, and i'm actually expecting that to happen after 2018 season ends. Claire seems as 'capable' in running the team as Kaltenborn was; hence not at all. I think Paddy Lowe would be a better 'team boss' in running Williams than claire does, even if he's not at all experienced as a 'team boss'.
Hell, i'd love to see Paddy Lowe teamed by Martin Whitmarsh running the once so glorious team.

When Toto Wolff was much more involved with the Williams Team the team did much better. Sad it didn't last.

Did Mclaren actually beat Williams last year or not? i don't believe they did, and i'm sure they will this year, but that would be even worse.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Redragon wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 21:06
McG wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 18:15
Redragon wrote:

Man can you read?
Anyhow, I'm actually encouraged by James Allen's assessment. He seems to interact well with people in the paddock, bearing in mind his official FIA role, interviewing team personnel. Even Gary Anderson said there were "hidden gems" in the MCL33 chassis. I'm sure most people have read the below article, it actually highlights perfectly what Mclaren's aim is during the pre-season.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12479/ ... en-renault

Redragon

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 21:36
Ground Effect wrote:
proteus wrote:

And It'll be a Orange-Blue Martini - liveried Mclaren F1 Team - Renault partnered by Martini.

https://static.ah.nl/static/gall/img_29 ... ll_500.png

http://www.lolaskitchenlab.com/wp-conte ... artini.jpg

that's why Mclaren's car is so empty, there's gonna be Martini livery on it next year :mrgreen:

https://i.imgur.com/ND0clSA.jpg
"Zak can try but he'll have a fight on his hands. I don't give sponsors up easily. They're our lifeblood."
Funny, Hackett, Randstad gone, Martini gone in 2019. Yeah, she has put up quite the fight, but is losing lifeblood gushing out and fixes it with Sirotkin money and Stroll money, the latter last year seemingly having a less than positive discussion and potentially moving out of Williams together with all their money because no results are coming, and with the amount of money leaving Williams now, i'm doubtfull they'll be able to improve.

Which would make the 'exodus' of sponsors at Williams actually something worrying, compared to the as already shown little worrying 'sponsor exodus' at Mclaren (so much discussed at the year's end) only due to the termination of the Honda relationship.

I'm also quite confident Zak can throw a harder punch than Claire if we're looking at business and fights for sponsors.

She must still be sore about losing PetroBras a while ago and it's now prominently on Mclaren and actually becoming a real partnership , and not to forget there's perhaps still 'pain' from Lenovo moving from Williams to Mclaren in 2009 :lol:

Would be seriously 'funny' if Hackett and Randstad move to Mclaren, and then Martini for 2019. That would mean we'd see Mclaren having 'taken' PetroBras, Martini, Hackett, Randstad, and imagine if Rexona follows too :lol:
Hell, i wouldn't be surprised if 'Banco Do Brazil' returns with Mclaren sooner or later due to the PetroBras pairing and surely Brazil's 'next' F1 driver will be in Mclaren's development driver programme for 2019.

Stroll family moving out would be a neckshot for Williams, and i'm actually expecting that to happen after 2018 season ends. Claire seems as 'capable' in running the team as Kaltenborn was; hence not at all. I think Paddy Lowe would be a better 'team boss' in running Williams than claire does, even if he's not at all experienced as a 'team boss'.
Hell, i'd love to see Paddy Lowe teamed by Martin Whitmarsh running the once so glorious team.

When Toto Wolff was much more involved with the Williams Team the team did much better. Sad it didn't last.

Did Mclaren actually beat Williams last year or not? i don't believe they did, and i'm sure they will this year, but that would be even worse.
Martini has announced they are out of F1at the end of 2018

baybars
baybars

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 14:49
RonDennis wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 14:25
r101 wrote:
I believe that's an accurate assessment. Pre-launch, Prodromou stated that they'd been focusing on a race one upgrade for the last 2 or 3 months. Basically, the pre-season is all about engine compatibility with their packaging, evaluating the rear suspension and some other bits.
Like I said in an earlier post, their pre-season program vastly differs from the other Renault teams, so let's stay optimistic. Hopefully the Melbourne spec PU that Renault will provide will be at a decent level.
All Renault powered teams did not use full power on first test
Abiteoul said that So don’t look at the laptime in T9 because everything will be massively tuned down for obvious reasons, but T10 [test two] we want to run in a more representative mode

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... s-1008639/

Talisman
Talisman

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 21:36
Ground Effect wrote:
proteus wrote:

https://static.ah.nl/static/gall/img_29 ... ll_500.png

http://www.lolaskitchenlab.com/wp-conte ... artini.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ND0clSA.jpg

What a sad post.

Given that McLaren’s income according to Dieter Rencken is the same as Williams now Honda has gone it would appear that the current management at Woking are just as incompetent as Claire.

You’ve missed the big point here which is that neither team (nor any other for that matter) is finding it easy to attract new sponsors to the sport due to factors that Claire intelligently summarised in her interview. Hence why McLaren is reduced to scavenging sponsors off other teams to boost their portfolio.

To me this isn’t funny, this shows how low our sport has fallen and how hard the teams are finding it. Unlike you I wouldn’t find it a source of amusement to see williams’ income cut further, to see the team’s future being risked and real people being unemployed. Ditto McLaren which is unlikely to fill the gap in funding caused by Honda leaving and which will downsize too in coming years if the hole isn’t plugged.

You’re an odd ‘fan’ if you wish financial destruction on other teams.