2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

It wasn't on fumes then...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

Of course it wasn't, no one is trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQudFM3LCAo

You can see the lazy pace they're taking.
Saishū kōnā

makecry
makecry

RonDennis wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 22:39
Vandoorne went out at 14:10.

14:12 Vandoorne puts those hypersofts to good use to go even faster - 1m19.854s.

16:39 Busy track now - Hamilton, Alonso, Perez, Gasly and Leclerc all out there with 1h20m to go.

16:43 Alonso is now 1.075s off the pace with a new personal best on supersofts - he's fourth.
You forgot to add this,

09:40(16:40 for you guys) Alonso sets two personal best sectors, but then ends the lap a second adrift of his best.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Didn't Alonso's best lap get removed because he cut the track in sector 3 to get ahead of the Toro Rosso?

GhostF1
GhostF1

Raleigh wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 02:30
Didn't Alonso's best lap get removed because he cut the track in sector 3 to get ahead of the Toro Rosso?
Yes. But regardless, Test 1 is indicative of nothing really. All we know is every car seems to work without major issues. McLaren might have a heat issue, although they claim its just a heatshield placement issue.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Chicane wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 22:34
Eric Boullier:- It sounds crazy when I say this, but we spent the past three years doing some engineering and car maintenance, to the point we even parked the pit-stop training. We parked it because we couldn't do everything.

"Now we have a car, we have to make it work, but once the car works it's just now focused on being the best team, finding performance everywhere. That's the right mindset.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/147778-mcl ... ra-boullie
To be honest... that is a pathetic statement. They are essentially blaming Honda for lack of pit stop training. I realise there was a fair bit of engine swaps happening, but to say they've stopped bothering to train is almost disgraceful. That is not the attitude or etiquette a team/brand at this level should have. Disappointed the sniping is still going on when it's not needed.

DFX
DFX

GhostF1 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 02:56
Chicane wrote:
Eric Boullier:- It sounds crazy when I say this, but we spent the past three years doing some engineering and car maintenance, to the point we even parked the pit-stop training. We parked it because we couldn't do everything.

"Now we have a car, we have to make it work, but once the car works it's just now focused on being the best team, finding performance everywhere. That's the right mindset.

To be honest... that is a pathetic statement. They are essentially blaming Honda for lack of pit stop training. I realise there was a fair bit of engine swaps happening, but to say they've stopped bothering to train is almost disgraceful. That is not the attitude or etiquette a team/brand at this level should have. Disappointed the sniping is still going on when it's not needed.
It seems to me that he is talking about not having time to practicing because they were busy doing "car maintenance". In no way this sounds like "we stop bothering" or "it would not make a difference" statement.

If this is true or not, we dont know. But let not twist his words.

GhostF1
GhostF1

DFX wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 03:46
GhostF1 wrote:
Chicane wrote:

It seems to me that he is talking about not having time to practicing because they were busy doing "car maintenance". In no way this sounds like "we stop bothering" or "it would not make a difference" statement.

Oh come on.. it insinuates they only have very limited time to practice pitstops, and also implies that time was eaten up for the last 3 years because Honda was unreliable...

Please, it's a poor reasoning at absolute best. The pit crew do not become disabled on any other day apart from race day... I've never heard such an absurd and unprofessional quote from a team principal in any type of motorsport.
"We couldn't train stops for 3 years, engine manufacturer has screwed us". Amazing.

rogazilla
rogazilla

GhostF1 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 04:20
Oh come on.. it insinuates they only have very limited time to practice pitstops, and also implies that time was eaten up for the last 3 years because Honda was unreliable...

Please, it's a poor reasoning at absolute best. The pit crew do not become disabled on any other day apart from race day... I've never heard such an absurd and unprofessional quote from a team principal in any type of motorsport.
"We couldn't train stops for 3 years, engine manufacturer has screwed us". Amazing.
In fact, they do practice. During off season they did with a roller as it was shown in the documentary on Amazon.

zoroastar

GhostF1 wrote:
DFX wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

people are such drama queens. anything that is said by mclaren is taken in absolutes. and they cant say anything without a huge group of people pick it apart to find something sinister to suit their agenda. all he is saying is that they had bigger things to worry about than perfect 2 second pitstops. which is absolutely true.

ollandos
ollandos

mclaren has some clips on twitter from yestarday filming ..the sound of engine i think is more brutal...looks like renault turned up little for this week ...

GhostF1
GhostF1

zoroastar wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 08:39
GhostF1 wrote:
DFX wrote:

people are such drama queens. anything that is said by mclaren is taken in absolutes. and they cant say anything without a huge group of people pick it apart to find something sinister to suit their agenda. all he is saying is that they had bigger things to worry about than perfect 2 second pitstops. which is absolutely true.
Hardly drama queen. You've got a team principal in F1 saying they had zero time for pitstop practice because for 3 years all of them were on "maintenance duty". Especially in answer to a question that didn't even warrant that kind of response. It was irrelevant lol.
If you don't think that's an unprovoked, clearly exaggerated shot at a certain competitor, you're being naive.

I just think it has no place at this level.

Anyway. Back to the actual car and team. I agree it sounds different again. So it'll be interesting to see what happens this week! I'm hoping for some relief to see them looking right up there!

Lucky
Lucky

GoranF1 wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 19:29
Does anyone know how many lap did Stoffel in that stint when he did 1.19.8, or Alonso in 1.20.9 lap?
from the theme of Honda

Postmoe

If I would try to find some relevance in Mclaren times I would look at Alonso’s stint on softs, which seems more consistent. Oddly enough, it doesn’t differ so much from the supersofts and Hypers so maybe they weren’t bulshitting us when saying tyre compounds weren’t making any difference

cyclon

11:00 Looks like Vandoorne's stopped at the beginning of the start-finish straight.

Not again !!!!!!!!

:( :( :(
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU