2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Alonso Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:14
So many knee jerk reactions. Red bull had a disastrous day in the first test where they were plagued by fuel leaks and problems of the like. No ones going all doom and gloom about them. Why can't mclaren peacefully get on with their testing without someone going all out against them or at least with reasonable comments or discussion? Why all the hype around mclaren? I see it everywhere, BBC live feed racefans, here now and again, planetf1, you name it.

But there's still so much unwarranted hype I just don't understand

Rant over, sorry
They put it on themselves. Their endless complaining about Honda, who was to blame for literally everything that went wrong with McLaren. And now, the car without Honda, and they still have constant issues, whereas the Honda powered car is running flawlessly.

All they reactions they get, they have done it to themselves, and now they don't have a scapegoat anymore, so we can all enjoy McLarens failures(I for one am very much) and their arrogance.

You simply can't not laugh about it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

loner

starting to think Peter Prodromou was the problem not Honda hmmmm
para bellum.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

BrunoH wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:19
im more and more starting to think it was Mclarens fault honda engines failed with heat etc... i mean, they are running Renault now, and guess what.. electrical and burning failures all around again... they cook the electronics and engine....
Yep, you are absolutely right. Poor oil tank design was due to overheat.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

loner wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:21
Yep, he underpowered Honda engine, at least for 50bhp.

bauc

ivanlesk wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:24
loner wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:21
Yes, he also messed up the oil tank, the turbo, the MGU-H/K, the software ect - he is evil genius
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Giblet
Giblet

I can because I am not petty like some people. I don't revel in the failures of others.

That being said me thinks you are all being a little aggressive about McLaren in the preseason test.

Moving to a new PU has issues for most teams.

In 2014 Red Bull WON RACES and their test was a complete and utter shambles. They were cutting holes, drilling, didn't fit the PU to the car until the actual test, had cooling issues etc, fuel flow issues etc. and that was when they were the "de facto" works team.
Last edited by Giblet on 06 Mar 2018, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

McHonda
McHonda

restless wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:17
I'm pretty sure the burn marks were different last week - way more darker&pronounced...
so this is not the original cover

Also according to Fabregas the engine cover was cut in order to get even better cooling
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 3767820288
The burn marks were visible when the car first came out this morning and was waiting at pit end. There's a photo of it in this or the car thread. It's the same engine cover or it happened on the way to the end of the pit lane , the journos just want something to write about and a nice picture to highlight the cooling issue. Lazy journalism at its best.

The extra cooling slots are legit though.

restless
restless

could be. all "old" marks I see are from the other side - and are darker. I assumed both sides were equally burned... maybe not.

https://scontent-frx5-1.cdninstagram.co ... 8688_n.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXIqbKtW0AEXy0v.jpg

So, are there 2 covers - with numbers 2 and 14, or they just put the numbers?!

BrunoH
BrunoH

the reliability issues .. im sure a lot of them were due to all this overheating issues that the Mclaren package continues to show

bauc

restless wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:32
could be. all "old" marks I see are from the other side - and are darker. I assumed both sides were equally burned... maybe not.

https://scontent-frx5-1.cdninstagram.co ... 8688_n.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXIqbKtW0AEXy0v.jpg

So, are there 2 covers - with numbers 2 and 14, or they just put the numbers?!
They just change the stickers with numbers

cyclon

McHonda wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:25
restless wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:17
I'm pretty sure the burn marks were different last week - way more darker&pronounced...
so this is not the original cover

Also according to Fabregas the engine cover was cut in order to get even better cooling
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 3767820288
The burn marks were visible when the car first came out this morning and was waiting at pit end. There's a photo of it in this or the car thread. It's the same engine cover or it happened on the way to the end of the pit lane , the journos just want something to write about and a nice picture to highlight the cooling issue. Lazy journalism at its best.

The extra cooling slots are legit though.
Thumps Up !!!
Today's problem was the double electrical shutdown and the odd thing about it was that Sainz had the almost the same problem! :roll:
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

Alonso Fan

Giblet wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:25

I can because I am not petty like some people. I don't revel in the failures of others.

That being said me thinks you are all being a little aggressive about McLaren in the preseason test.

Moving to a new PU has issues for most teams.

In 2014 Red Bull WON RACES and their test was a complete and utter shambles. They were cutting holes, drilling, didn't fit the PU to the car until the actual test, had cooling issues etc, fuel flow issues etc. and that was when they were the "de facto" works team.
Have to agree with this. The fact that Toro Rosso hasn't had any problems so far isn't the norm but rather surprising
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

wesley123 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:40
bauc wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:

Yes, he also messed up the oil tank, the turbo, the MGU-H/K, the software ect - he is evil genius
Well, considering Honda's changes were largely pushed by McLarens issues, indirectly he did yes.

If you are tasked with fixing something, while knowing the fault isn't yours, that generally doesn't go all that well.

Of course, you can blame Honda all you want, but that just makes it weird how it does work in the STR. If the issues were Honda, they would have occurred with STR as well, and the issues McLaren had would now be gone.
It's called development.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

bauc

wesley123 wrote:
bauc wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:

Well, considering Honda's changes were largely pushed by McLarens issues, indirectly he did yes.

If you are tasked with fixing something, while knowing the fault isn't yours, that generally doesn't go all that well.

Of course, you can blame Honda all you want, but that just makes it weird how it does work in the STR. If the issues were Honda, they would have occurred with STR as well, and the issues McLaren had would now be gone.
Dude it was a post made in irony, move on! Mclaren is no longer with Honda, and I wish Honda all the best moving forward, have you missed the last 3 years on this forum and the social media in general? Everything that could have been said its been said and both Mclaren and Honda are guilty for their failure. MOVE ON!

cyclon

wesley123 wrote:
bauc wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:

Come on guys stop this fight! Time will tell....
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU