Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Big Mangalhit wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 18:04
In this image we can see that the flow paint coming from the wing only hits the tyre in its most outward part as well, quite the big deflection.
You sure about that? :D
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Mangalhit wrote:

In this image we can see that the flow paint coming from the wing only hits the tyre in its most outward part as well, quite the big deflection.
The clean bit of tyre is the bit that runs on the track all the time. The shoulders don't at low speed such as the pit lane. That's why the central bit is clean.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Mangalhit wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:27

Just look at this image, the butterfly goes from an inner part of the wing to the outer part of the tyre in a very short distance. That is a much steeper angle of deflection.

http://i.imgur.com/Dazqvmu.gif
The key here is that there is an entire array of turning vanes on top of the wing working the air laterally. The vane that the unfortunate butterfly finds would not, on its own, generate that much lateral flow.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Mangalhit

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 18:18
Big Mangalhit wrote:

The clean bit of tyre is the bit that runs on the track all the time. The shoulders don't at low speed such as the pit lane. That's why the central bit is clean.
Ups my bad. Thanks for that, and Vanja comment above saying the same

Big Mangalhit

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 18:20
Big Mangalhit wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:27

Just look at this image, the butterfly goes from an inner part of the wing to the outer part of the tyre in a very short distance. That is a much steeper angle of deflection.

http://i.imgur.com/Dazqvmu.gif
The key here is that there is an entire array of turning vanes on top of the wing working the air laterally. The vane that the unfortunate butterfly finds would not, on its own, generate that much lateral flow.
You're right, and probably the mirrors aren't doing that, but it is possible to bend air in very steep angles no? at least wings seem to deflect air in a very severe way. Like we can see from the angle of the fumes coming from the crash structure.
I mean the final angle of the front wing seems almost vertical I would imagine the upwash to be quite agressive

paddyf1
paddyf1

"The open face of the mirror exposes a guide vane that's connected to the rear of the mirror glass.

This not only allows the airflow another pathway, but gives it a purpose - reducing the turbulence created, and feeding the upper sidepod inlet while improving flow over the entire surface of the sidepod downstream.

Other teams will now almost certainly be looking on with interest and evaluating the design of the mirrors, to see if any benefits can be found by adopting such as a design themselves.

While Ferrari is the only team with such a sidepod inlet that can be helped with this design, the concept could be used by others to help reduce airflow resistance in this area of the car".....Matt Somerfield.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

It seems people have been caught up in a debate about wing mirrors which probably contribute 0.00000001 in laptime to the car. Is this about wing mirrors anymore, or ego?

Did anyone identify anything other than a mirror on the Ferrari car worth discussing today?

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

JPBD1990 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 22:54
It seems people have been caught up in a debate about wing mirrors which probably contribute 0.00000001 in laptime to the car. Is this about wing mirrors anymore, or ego?

Did anyone identify anything other than a mirror on the Ferrari car worth discussing today?
Good point!! It is time to MOVE ON

LM10
LM10

Mr.G wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 18:20
JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:21
We saw a new engine cover being delivered yesterday - has anyone noticed if it’s been run/any discernible differences between them?
I would say it was scheduled for today, however yesterday they lost one day and today it's not representative weather so no...
Does anyone know if today's cover was this new one already or have they still not used it? By just looking at pictures of the car it seems not changed to me or maybe the differences are not big enough for me to catch them.

THRAK
THRAK

jagunx51 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:49
Morteza wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:38
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXmHlgNW4AAJX0v.jpg

Via @F1debrief
is that a duct on the floor ?
I don't remember following the ban on multiple decks/exhaust blown diffusers that any team came with a similar design. Now, if I am not mistaken Piola wrote (on the italian edition of motorsport.com) that the duct above the diffuser COULD be a cooling exit. It seems to me unlikely, given the fact that in recent years teams worked very hard in order to maximize the floor surface in this area, keeping it as neat as possible, and probably even compromising CoG by designing "floating" gearboxes. For aerodynamical purposes. I think the duct's aim is merely to manage airflow merging from both sides of the car, though it's rather strange nobody under these technical rules ever tried to put flow conditioners in this area (correct me if I'm wrong :D ).

DiogoBrand

Is this allowed? If it is, I should imagine the rulemakers are really scratching their heads thinking about how they let this through:

Moose
Moose

Is what allowed? What are you trying to claim is a faux pas?

giantfan10
giantfan10

Moose wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 05:56
the droopy winglet aka moustache wing lol

Mr.G

Moose wrote:
I think he is referring to T-wing...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

miguelbento

giantfan10 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 06:17
Moose wrote:
the droopy winglet aka moustache wing lol
Yep, it was clear as the 2018 technical regulations were published that a lower T-Wing would still be allowed:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26791