2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

But things are nowhere near that bad. Yes, McLaren has had problems. Yes, it hasn't shown a turn of speed capable of taking the fight to a Red Bull team that, thanks to their shared engine supplier, is its natural benchmark. But the mood in the team is still positive and the car, when moving, is working pretty well - and it passes the 'eye test' as well from trackside.
"This is a new relationship with Renault, so there are a few things we are discovering - as a team as well," says McLaren racing director Eric Boullier. "The glitches we have had so far are not very important, but they are stopping us running.

"The car is also quite complicated, so every time you have an issue you spend hours to strip everything off, fix it, and rebuild the car.

"The car is new so the mechanics are not used to going fast. Generally, between testing and the European season, you change an engine in six hours and by Barcelona [the Spanish GP in May] you do it in two-and-a-half hours, so that's how much you can progress in working on the car. We are at the beginning now.

"The wheelnut we had last week and the exhaust problem, they kept the car in the garage for hours just to repair them."

The exhaust, in fact, has been at the root of a few dramas, not just the problem with a £2 bolt that caused a stoppage last week. The car ran on Tuesday with three additional slots cut in the engine cover to deal with some heat soak pockets that were causing small scorches on the bodywork. Boullier admits some minor underbody cooling design changes need to be made. Again, not unusual but troubling if not sorted by Melbourne.
But when the car is running, things look far more promising. From trackside, it looks like it's doing what drivers Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne want. As Boullier points out in reference to criticisms of a car last year that, early in testing at least, looked bad, for the first time Autosport technical expert Gary Anderson has been positive about McLaren this winter.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/80 ... era-so-far

Alonso Fan

Oh no please not again!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonDennis
RonDennis

Yeah, cooling is a big problem, that's no longer a question in my opinion.

[media]https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/sta ... 162764289/[/media]
Last edited by RonDennis on 07 Mar 2018, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Singabule
Singabule

MCL 33 is smoking Hot. That the result in combining RB size sidepod and 2015 size zero engine intake. Their mechanic is too lazy to train pit stop then lazy in QC.. Not a good sign in every point of view

Squid
Squid

Not good. They said they were going to follow Renault's recommendations regarding cooling, so best case scenario, this was a fluke failure. The problem is that this is starting to look more like a pattern... Looking at their intakes, they went for a much tighter solution.

Holm86

RonDennis wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 12:10
Yeah, cooling is a big problem, that's no longer a question in my opinion.

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/sta ... 162764289/
So, does this mean that McLaren engineers are way too optimistic when they designed the cooling package?
Or does it mean that Renault gives their costumers poor information regarding the cooling requirements of their engine? We also saw Red Bull having problems with cooling the Renault PU during their first year with the turbo engine, and I think RB has solved this because of their own experience with the PU and not because of the informations they get from Renault.

But McLaren has the smallest engine intake by far, I can only imagine this will change

GoranF1
GoranF1

That's one unreliable but fast car whit basic aero on.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Holm86

GoranF1 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 12:40
That's one unreliable but fast car whit basic aero on.
I think the car is fast too, it looks to be in a relatively low drag configuration, but they are lowest in the speed charts. I don't think they are running anywhere near full power on the PU yet

If they get the cooling sorted, and introduce the big update for Melbourne, I think they might surprise

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

trinidefender wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 12:53
I swear I've never seen a more knee jerk crowd in my whole life. Last night I spent 20 minutes going through almost 6 pages of complete back and forth BS. You all sound like howler monkeys seeing who can scream the loudest...calm down and let's wait and see what McLaren and Renault say is the cause of the stoppage.
They say oil leak on Sky Sports
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Oil leak..first they planed 13:00 track returned, now they find engine is broken needs change at least 3h...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

I think it’s fairly obvious that it’s a cooling issue from looking at all the added cooling holes etc that have been added. One would thinn it’s a quick fix and they can redesign the bodywork to let in more air although this will certainly have a performance impact.

alexa
alexa

Are they the only team that has changed the engine so far?

kooleracer
kooleracer

McLaren having chasis/powerunit intergration once again. When Mercedes launched their first V6T, they left a big margin of error for cooling. I do not understand why McLaren doesn't leave a margin for error for testing and incrementally slim the bodywork after real world measurements. Because right now they have to redesign the packaging and bodywork. I know every tenth counts but a DNF is worthless. This doesn't look good for the brand and much more important this kills internal moral. Because everyone thought that with Renault they would turn things around. This test has been a shock through there system. There is a bit of stubbornness going on at McLaren, making the same mistakes over and over. It is goes against the DNA of McLaren as an excellent engineering company.

Lets all hope these are just teething problems and they all will be fixed come Melbourne. [-o<
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Alonso Fan

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

cyclon

At least Fernando is happy (i hope it's not only PR)

=D>
[-o<
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU