2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonso Fan

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

BBC's round up of the day is crazy

They completely forgot about the last day of the first test where both Alonso and Vandoorne did 161 ish laps

In their live feed for testing today the summary at the top read something along the lines of:
- Vettel breaks testing record by a second
- Get Involved #bbcf1
-McLaren suffered reliability problems on days 1 and 2

I swear they have something against mclaren...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

godlameroso

I wouldn't read too much into the race sim, we don't know if they were using scrubbed tires or what, the pace on mediums is encouraging, however I still think they're a second behind Mercedes. If anyone is McLaren's competition it's Renault themselves. However this isn't even the MCL-33's final form(IDK why I take pleasure in saying that), they may be a little closer to Red Bull come Melbourne.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

There ia something strange going on whit Mclaren .....they are 10km/h down on Hulkemberg and Verstapen.....they either didnt open the DRS whole day at the start finish straight where its messured or they are detuned for some reason.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Alonso Fan

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 22:57
There ia something strange going on whit Mclaren .....they are 10km/h down on Hulkemberg and Verstapen.....they either didnt open the DRS whole day at the start finish straight where its messured or they are detuned for some reason.
Yes seems a bit odd. But at least they know they have an engine capable of decent power. I think Renault were working on a qualy mode for this year too
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

McL-H
McL-H

GoranF1 wrote:
Maybe the car is draggy?

Alonso Fan

McL-H wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:03
GoranF1 wrote:
Maybe the car is draggy?
How dare you... :o

:lol:
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

the EDGE
the EDGE

nokivasara wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 22:34
RonDennis wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:44
BrunoH wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:18
verstappen does not even consider Mclaren as a threat..
i guess i have to agree with what i have seen so far.
Well I didn't expect that McLaren would beat Red Bull, but if they're a second of the Red Bull cars they should shut their mouths for the coming 9 months and work hard. Vandoorne also confirmed again that the car will look very different in Melbourne.
I find it odd that they since the launch have said to have a "totally different" car ready for the first race, how can they be sure it will work better than this spec? Would suck to have small issues (like an exhaust clamp) at the first race whilst knowing that these could have been sorted during the tests...
McLaren will certainly be looking to make changes to internal cooling between now & Melbourne, however the changes they refer to will be related to Aero and will not affect reliability in any way

I expect to see evolution however, not revolution. I suspect the nose cone will change as it seems under-developed at present without S-duct, so maybe new barge boards and treatment around the fri t of floor, I don’t think the vortex generators ontop of sidepods are the final solution in that area either

I suspect floor, front & rear wings will remain pretty much the same with only minor changes to the front to redirect the vortacies
Last edited by the EDGE on 08 Mar 2018, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

McL-H wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Maybe the car is draggy?
Maybe....although looking at the bargeboard area it look the least draggy of all cars

dren

Please explain goran.
Honda!

diffuser

Not really good numbers if we're comparing to everyone else. Not sure how much to read into it.

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:09
McL-H wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Maybe the car is draggy?
Maybe....although looking at the bargeboard area it look the least draggy of all cars
The roll hoop is by far the smallest hole and the side pods are pretty small. Both a big part of draggy.

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:56
Not really good numbers if we're comparing to everyone else. Not sure how much to read into it.
Last stint was pretty good no?

Xero

One note to mention is Vandoorne was aggressively weaving down the main straight on several occasions just before the red flag (as reported by Autosport), no doubt testing those tires in race conditions for the first time. It's quite possible they made a positive setup change during the red flag, as he was instantly over a second a lap quicker. Or perhaps they finally turned the engine up a bit, as we know they are running it very lean to avoid problems.

diffuser

Xero wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 00:21
One note to mention is Vandoorne was aggressively weaving down the main straight on several occasions just before the red flag (as reported by Autosport), no doubt testing those tires in race conditions for the first time. It's quite possible they made a positive setup change during the red flag, as he was instantly over a second a lap quicker. Or perhaps they finally turned the engine up a bit, as we know they are running it very lean to avoid problems.
Must admit I noticed that and wondered why....

Andres125sx

restless wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:09
Boulier must be sacked.
Andres125sx wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:26
restless wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:37

Lol, yea, its a 2$ bolt that failed, or hose for 0.1$, cutting the engine cover is minor too.
No need to overreact, but fact is - Mclaren badly NEEDED good mileage during tests. loosing 3 days is NOT acceptable whatever the spin. It makes so much harder to be prepared for Melburn.
I'm ok with early integration problems. I fully expected Mc to use first 4 races for fixing small gremlins.
But I can't accept the bullshit with "minor problems". Who needs these stupid remarks?!

PS:
Eric Boulier must be sacked.
What 3 days?

Yesterday, despite the problems, they managed to do 100 laps
Beg your pardon you must live in some other dimension.
They made 47 laps before engine blew
and 10 more in last 10minutes of the day, when all others had already finished
57 total.
Or you count twice any lap by Alonso?

Today was only second day when full program was executed, so far 1 day lost to weather (and Boulier complaining that Williams denied possibility to have 1 more training day) , another half-day also weather and 2 days lost to malfunctions (Boulier&Brown&Alonso claiming 8 days are too much! WTF???)
Ok my mistake I read they did 47 laps before the oil leak and then when the testing was finished I think I read they did another 57 laps, but that was the total lapcount :oops:

Anycase, 57 laps is not a day lost, so my point remains the same, what 3 days lost due to problems? :wink: