2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 22:57
There ia something strange going on whit Mclaren .....they are 10km/h down on Hulkemberg and Verstapen.....they either didnt open the DRS whole day at the start finish straight where its messured or they are detuned for some reason.
Well, if they have serious cooling issues it could be detuned. Let's just wait and see, if the chassis is good the performance will come soon even if they're having some problems right now.

Xero

RonDennis wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 01:20

Well, if they have serious cooling issues it could be detuned. Let's just wait and see, if the chassis is good the performance will come soon even if they're having some problems right now.
They said before testing started they'd be running detuned regardless to avoid any unnecessary stoppages. I think it came from Renault themselves. While Renault and Red Bull appear to have turned up the wick a bit this week, I think McLaren may be keeping it safe with the little running they've had so far. Again, part speculation on that last point though.

PhillipM
PhillipM

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 00:17

The roll hoop is by far the smallest hole and the side pods are pretty small. Both a big part of draggy.
The sidepods are actually pretty damned big at the midpoint when you compare them to most cars, even if the intakes are similar sizes - I'd be surprised if they don't have modified sidepods as part of their upgrade package at Melbourne.

All these people on about heat issues and how Mclaren have gone too far with 'size zero' again make me laugh, the car is huge compared to most of the grid.

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

PhillipM wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 01:37
diffuser wrote:

The roll hoop is by far the smallest hole and the side pods are pretty small. Both a big part of draggy.
The sidepods are actually pretty damned big at the midpoint when you compare them to most cars, even if the intakes are similar sizes - I'd be surprised if they don't have modified sidepods as part of their upgrade package at Melbourne.

All these people on about heat issues and how Mclaren have gone too far with 'size zero' again make me laugh, the car is huge compared to most of the grid.
please provide supporting data on your opinion

PhillipM
PhillipM

How about you look at some photos. They're all over the threads.

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

PhillipM wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 04:05
How about you look at some photos. They're all over the threads.
Share here please

PhillipM
PhillipM

See the other pages on the thread? There you go.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Every pictures I have seen so far indicates McLaren has the smallest intake by far of all teams.

I remember reading in one of the interview, it was mentioned the intake on top only feed the airbox which means the cooling is left for the sidepod mainly.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Last day of testing, hopefully it'll be encouraging. I'd love to see even more laps than yesterday and some qualifying sims. It would be nice to see some quick laps and give everyone a boost
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bauc

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 09:22
Last day of testing, hopefully it'll be encouraging. I'd love to see even more laps than yesterday and some qualifying sims. It would be nice to see some quick laps and give everyone a boost
I hope so as well, I would be a nice end to the testing if Alonso can dip into 1.17's, but more importantly is to do again atleast a 150 laps
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Singabule
Singabule

diffuser wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:09
McL-H wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 23:03

Maybe the car is draggy?
Maybe....although looking at the bargeboard area it look the least draggy of all cars
I thinking wider sidepod has huge drag amount, but the opening is small so im not sure. Then why not create big overhead intake, there is halo with its fixed drag in front of it?

motobaleno

alonso stopped in the same point of wednesday

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Singabule wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 09:52
I thinking wider sidepod has huge drag amount, but the opening is small so im not sure. Then why not create big overhead intake, there is halo with its fixed drag in front of it?
That depends. If you can keep air attached the sidepod shape doesn't create drag. Remember the most aero efficient shape is a rain drop shape. It also depends on how you want to guide air to the rear, next to the sidepod or over it. Obviously a combination but that depends on the overall philosophy. The halo aero impact is said to be minimal and not an issue aero wise. A big intake on the other hand has quite some impact. They create a bubble of air in front of them as they create an air brake and as the speed of the air slows down though them they create drag at the exits. Just have a look at the picture below how air moves at this point. That's why air exit points are equally important and the surface there has to be taken in account as well. Theoretically speaking they could create a low pressure zone at the exist and thus suck air through the sidepod allowing for smaller intakes. Not saying that's the case by any means, just to clarify the point.

cyclon

motobaleno wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 11:01
alonso stopped in the same point of wednesday
Let's pray !!!
[-o< [-o< [-o<
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

radosav
radosav

Oil leak. It has to be a gearbox? What else? Other renault powered cars are running fine.