2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cyclon

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I wonder if we ever learn the real reason for these engine changes ?
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

Gerhardsa

It took them 6 hours the last time, so if any hope will will see the car around 4 pm but.. I doubt it. For me, testing is done for them.
And they again go into the season as the least prepared team...
I think I am not even feeling sorry for them anymore.

cyclon

restless wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:50
Macklaren wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:37
Hysteria aside - does anyone have any hypotheses on the possible causes of repeated oil leaks? Doesn’t sound like faulty installation — at least not this often. Other Renault powered teams aren’t having this same problem. It’s probably not a design issue since they have done 150+ laps in a day twice now. Any theories?
Its not oil leak. Alonso himself said that engine blew-up, oil leak was result of it
Any links about that comment?
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

restless
restless

forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26883&start=1530#p746626
Also seen same quote on different site

cyclon

So nothing yet about the breakdown reasons?

GoranF1
GoranF1

cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 13:33
Turbo...

Could it be that all this problems so far are due to roll hoop inlet to small?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Alonso yesterday: "I do not need last day of testing"
Today: Instant Karma

cyclon

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 13:55
cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 13:33
Turbo...

Could it be that all this problems so far are due to roll hoop inlet to small?
Is it official, any links?

Higher than anticipated temps one of the many reasons...

Giblet
Giblet

Did the team see anything in data before hand?

I highly doubt that the temps are higher than the Renault guidelines or that they would allow them to go there.

It's not sensible for a team that can see everything the car is doing.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Macklaren
Macklaren

The fact that something so serious is recurring and the team are so relaxed about it leads me to believe that they know EXACTLY what the problem is and have a fix for it but for some reason can’t do it on the test car

BrunoH
BrunoH

i think its poor mecanics staff... its very odd all these failures, most seem like faulty connections... or not having the tubes well fite.

Or.. its all so hot in there with the lack of cooling that everything fries.

i thought it was honda but they changed teams and are ok..
Mclaren are having the same issues as before. oil leaks.. turbos , MHU, electronics... im puzzled to be honest, but i think its a Mclaren problem not a previous Honda or current Renault problem.

cyclon

Giblet wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 14:13
Did the team see anything in data before hand?

I highly doubt that the temps are higher than the Renault guidelines or that they would allow them to go there.

It's not sensible for a team that can see everything the car is doing.
IMHO
If turbo in F1 uses exhaust gas to drive a turbine and get in account the problems the car had in the exhaust system from the very first day in Barcelona .. then everything is connected. (Except battery, although ...)
Maybe that is why they are so calm.

Renault stays in as well
14:26 Sainz is going to "stay" in the Renault this afternoon. We say "stay" in quote marks because he's barely been in it today! But he will not hand over to Hulkenberg as planned, given the lack of running.

Redragon

GhostF1 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:17
TankMarvin wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:15
cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:10
Anything official about the stoppage?
ZB: "I love racing. I'm a racer. Let's hope our potential sponsors didn't see that. Did I tell you I love racing?"

EB: "With Honda we never got the chance to deal with non-MGU failures. This is great testing for us"

PP: "Maybe we can make the back of the car even tighter to stop the smoke pouring out..."
Pretty much spot on. The Frenchman will probably defend Renault until the cows come home. I'm foreseeing a lot of Honda deflections through this season from him..
The problem they have this year is Renault will not shut up if the blame is towards them and it is not their problem as it did Honda because Cyril Abiteboul will not keep his mouth shut as he did last year with Horner

bauc

Just for reference, last season RBR had multiple turbo failures, few of which costing Max and Riccardo good points and a WIN. I don't think this is Mclaren only issue.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

rogazilla
rogazilla

Macklaren wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:37
Hysteria aside - does anyone have any hypotheses on the possible causes of repeated oil leaks? Doesn’t sound like faulty installation — at least not this often. Other Renault powered teams aren’t having this same problem. It’s probably not a design issue since they have done 150+ laps in a day twice now. Any theories?
Vibration is shaking everything loose... :twisted: