2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

How long was that engine swap? Takes me 2hrs to swap a B series motor.
Saishū kōnā

marmer
marmer

godlameroso wrote:How long was that engine swap? Takes me 2hrs to swap a B series motor.
They are better at engine swaps than put stops at the moment

bauc

marmer wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:25
godlameroso wrote:How long was that engine swap? Takes me 2hrs to swap a B series motor.
5 hours for the swap, and yeah the pit stop will remain a internet meme for a long long time :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Redragon

:lol:
marmer wrote:

rogazilla
rogazilla

Any chance we see some Qualy mode testing at the end of the day? Push the engine to 100%?

adb
adb

TAG wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:06
http://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip?id=22700243
Vettel's demeanor and body language here are worrying.
What did he say, and what about his body language was so worrying? In the Paddock Uncut bit he seemed to be quite confident and playing things down

marvin78
marvin78

Redragon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:26
:lol:
marmer wrote:

They did practice that more often, to be honest ;)

cyclon

bauc wrote:
marmer wrote:
5 hours for the swap, and yeah the pit stop will remain a internet meme for a long long time :mrgreen:
One hour less than the previous time! =D>
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

dren

cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:28
bauc wrote:
marmer wrote:
Last time it took them an hour to figure out they were trying to put a wheel on backwards.
Honda!

Redragon

cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:28
bauc wrote:
marmer wrote:
Maybe is plan of the test, this is testing they need to improve in all areas

Phil

To everyone who has been doubting or arguing against reports that Ferrari are behind, here is what AMuS just posted on their ticker:

"Wir bekommen über unsere Social-Media-Kanäle gerade sehr viele Rückmeldungen von enttäuschten Ferrari-Fans, die unsere Analysen zum aktuellen Kräfteverhältnis nicht wahrhaben wollen. Dazu nur eine kurze Anmerkung: Wir hätten nichts lieber als eine spannende WM mit vielen Autos, die um die Spitze kämpfen. Gerne würden wir dieses Jahr über enge Duelle zwischen Vettel, Verstappen und Hamilton berichten. Aber wir wollen Ihnen ja auch keine falschen Hoffnungen machen sondern neutrale Analysen anbieten, die auf unseren Informationen und Beobachtungen an der Strecke basieren. Wir haben kein Interesse daran, Ferrari grundlos schlecht zu schreiben."

Translated:
We are receiving lots of feedback through our social-media channels from disappointed Ferrari fans who have been following our analyses and reports and don't want to believe them. Just to clarify: There's nothing we would rather have than an exciting season ahead with many cars fighting at the front. We would love to report over competitive duels between Vettel, Verstappen and Hamilton. But we also don't want encourage false hope, but much rather offer neutral analysis that are based on our information and observations from the track. We are not interested in writting off Ferrari without reason.

Note by me:
One has to consider that all reports are only reporting on what is happening at Barcelona during Winter testing and what the teams are showing. No one is saying there is no room for improvement or that at Melbourne (which will be a completely different track) things will look the same. As I said previously, Barcelona already suited Mercedes well last year. That they may indeed remain strong therefore is not a huge surprise. However the reports that Ferrari may again have a higher fuel usage may be worrying given Mercedes already supposedly had an advantage last year in this area. Also, Renault are focusing on engine stability and reliability. Reports are that they are still holding back a little of the engines potential. This could make RedBull stronger than they already appear to be.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Fede90
Fede90

Vasconia wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:03
Fede90 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 14:26

Why do you hope to have another boring champioship? I hope to have MB, RB, Ferrari and McLaren at the same level
No, no you haven´t understood me. I mean, if Mercedes is so dominant(something I do hope it won´t happen) we will need Bottas to be, at least, at Nico´s same level if we want to have some excitement.
Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

Vanja #66

According to f1debrief's times, Bottas had an avg lap of 1:20.5 yesterday across 62 laps, Ham today 1:21.5 across 59 laps. Similar track and air temps, similar stint lengths.

If I was a Hamilton fan, I'd be very worried.

Come to think of it, maybe not. It's testing, not racing.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PhillipM
PhillipM

Hamilton is just practising driving slower so it looks like Ferrari are closer ;)

motobaleno

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:39
According to f1debrief's times, Bottas had an avg lap of 1:20.5 yesterday across 62 laps, Ham today 1:21.5 across 59 laps. Similar track and air temps, similar stint lengths.

If I was a Hamilton fan, I'd be very worried.

Come to think of it, maybe not. It's testing, not racing.
the computation for bottas are macroscopically wrong: you can tell this easily by eye (provided that the laptimes reported in the previous page are right)