2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Noetiepoerker26

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

1158 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:10

That could be. Plus they were put in a bad situation last year. The shenanigans going on at the end of last year had to have been a distraction to the team.
Definately agree on that. Furthermore, I think neither of them had any substantial kind of preparation before they stepped in the car. Sure, Gasly was in the running for a 2018 seat but I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that he (the same goes for Hartley) expected to be put into the car in-season.
Two stroke: a little more than half the power, twice as often.

I hope we find out what the "anomaly" was. They have piqued my interest in the issue now.

Yeah Gasly and Hartley being thrown into a car that had stalled development wise with a PU that was limited by parts issues and, if you believe some of the rumors, had modes held back too. I just don't want to expect too much from them too soon. I'd rather keep the expectations low and be pleasantly surprised.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Now that reliability is sorted, now they can concentrate on bringing performance. They've crossed a very big hurdle, a very good job done over the winter.... To be honest, dating back to the tail end of last season
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JonoNic

An anomaly after a 7 race distance is hopefully just that, an anomaly. Previous season these anomalies took half the season to fix but they may have just turn the corner on reliability.

Always find the gap then use it.

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 18:38
Midfield will be super tight. I think Toro Rosso, Renault & Haas will fight for 4th.
:lol: so mclaren fight for 7th???

makecry
makecry

Ground Effect wrote:
Midfield will be super tight. I think Toro Rosso, Renault & Haas will fight for 4th.
Lol did you not see McLaren's long run pace yesterday in their last stint and that lap by ALO today which AMuS says was with 20 or so laps of fuel, if that's true, McLaren is way out of reach for STR or Haas and just a bit ahead of Renault.

Sayeman

If this were last year, everyone of the Mclaren breakdown would have been blamed on Honda. Boulier would flatout deny anything about "Size-zero" or "Tight-Packaging".

Regarding Mclaren's pace compared to TR, i don't think TR had a Quali run at the end, while Mclaren went gung-ho to set a quick time to appease the fans. Fernando even cut corners since he was driving so aggressively.
Never Give up.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

makecry wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 06:46
Ground Effect wrote:
Lol did you not see McLaren's long run pace yesterday in their last stint and that lap by ALO today which AMuS says was with 20 or so laps of fuel, if that's true, McLaren is way out of reach for STR or Haas and just a bit ahead of Renault.
20 laps of fuel???? I wouldn't know, but I seriously doubt that.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

max_speed
max_speed

I hope honda is at high level by end of this season else red bull is pretty good in insulting engine partners ( way better than mclaren ever was).

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

max_speed wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 07:58
I hope honda is at high level by end of this season else red bull is pretty good in insulting engine partners ( way better than mclaren ever was).
So far, there doesn't seem to be anything to complain about, who knows, in 12 months they could be singing their praises!

ME4ME

2018 has started positivly for Toro Rosso Honda. Reliability seems solid. However I very much doubt they have the performance to be 5th or even 6th. Honda is still far away from Mercedes and Toro Rosso is a solid yet never succeeding midfield team. It's the progress that is of interest though, not the absolute performance at the Australian GP.

I think Mclaren and Renault are well out of reach. Haas too is in front i believe. Possibly even Force India, especially if you include drivers.

McMika98
McMika98

Str13 appears to have a solid baseline chassis to develop from. My only worry in terms of competition would be Haas and Renault. More so Haas who appears to have solved their tyres issues and appears to be very driveable. Mcclowns will have to: #be conservative and compromise their brave rear to finish few races. They had nothing but glory runs throughout and 1 race sim which was more or less midfield pace.
Other worry would be the young drivers who have very different styles and diverge on car setup as Gasly eluded to yesterday. Hope it does not confuse the engineers on optimal setup.

Singabule
Singabule

Good time ahead for STR, they can develop their chasis along with honda engineer that very open. The driver pairing not strong compared to other except williams and sauber, but only get better as the millage in the car increased. And they play safe right now and not doing glory run, but May paid off in term reliability especially in Hot track plus mexico.

etusch

First I was sure that renault 4th team but haas last 2 days lap times confused me. Of course I dont know any ones stints to have correct expectations