2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

Vasconia wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 12:19
dans79 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 18:51
giantfan10 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 17:57
On another note its pretty interesting observing the amount of bravado coming out of the Mercedes camp.Is it because they are way ahead and confident?
What media are you following, everything i have been reading has them saying its very close.
The last thing I have read is that Mercedes has an even stronger qualy mode.

RB says they could be 0,5 seconds behind and both say that it will be a 3 teams championshipt. I dont say they are lying but it looks more that they are trying to sell us the "product".
From what I get from the media and the interviews is that Mercedes should be in front. Not blisteringly fast, like 2014-2016, but right about on the same level that 2017 ended.

What I get from the media as well is that RBR slots into second position in terms of pace.

As long as McLaren is concerned, I've seen a lot of fluctuation and a diversity of opinions, from Fourth to dead last.

F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

"Mercedes plans to have its most powerful "party" mode qualifying setting yet in 2018, despite the need for Formula 1 engines to last longer."

"Hamilton suggested that Mercedes' pace in Barcelona testing had not been boosted by using the qualifying modes, saying he was looking forward to trying the 2018 versions in Melbourne.

"Our quali mode is the most fun mode - it should be the 'party' mode," said the world champion.

"It is the most power and has the most juice, and it's when we hit the highest speeds.

"I think Andy and the team have definitely tested it already on the dyno and I look forward to using it on the few occasions we do in the season."

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Thursday Press Conference

[media]https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... ralia.html[/media]

NathanOlder

Godius wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 12:18
FIA makes start light change to help visibility with halo

An extra set of starting lights wil be positioned to the left side of the track at a lower position by request of the drivers. In pre-season testing drivers on the front row(s) complained about not being able to see the normal start light clearly enough.

https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/amp ... 893841.jpg

But Jolle told me that wont be an issue ? All these drivers making it up ??

p.s 12hours to first practice :shock: :shock: :shock:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A duplicate2

F1Fan2018 wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 13:09
"It is the most power and has the most juice, and it's when we hit the highest speeds.
Pete Bonno to Lewis - "Hammer time Lewis, don't forget to go in Party Mode".

dren

Any guesses the gap in P1 in qualifying to the next best qualifying team? I'm going to guess 3 tenths from Hamilton at P1 to Vettel in P3. Bottas will squeeze in there 2 tenths back in P2.
Honda!

F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

Its kinda difficult to predict whats going to happen, Mercedes seem confident as they didnt do qualy laps in testing but then is that going to come back and bite them in the ass who knows, but i have a feeling Redbull have something up their sleeve, not sure about Ferrari as all media and rumors are pointing towards them struggling abit. I dont think we will know until qualifying as i dont think anyone is going to show their hand in practice.

LM10
LM10

Can anyone please explain me what is it all about with the equal engine topic? New regulations tell that let's say Mercedes and Williams must have the exact same engine and also software, right? So, will there even be any differences among the engines of each works teams and the teams they deliver? Again, shouldn't the qualy mode of Mercedes and Williams for example be the same this way?
Last edited by LM10 on 22 Mar 2018, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

LM10 wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 17:30
Can anyone please explain me what is it all about with the qual engine topic? New regulations tell that let's say Mercedes and Williams must have the exact same engine and also software, right? So, will there even be any differences among the engines of each works teams and the teams they deliver? Again, shouldn't the qualy mode of Mercedes and Williams for example be the same this way?
From my understanding, yes they should be the same they should have the same access to engine maps/modes so Williams will be able to use the "Party mode" in qualy too and be able to use the extra boost during in laps and out laps during races with the different maps/modes so there wont be any differences, but maybe the works teams will have the knowledge of how to use them to the best ability plus, the engine is specifically designed for the works car so i would guess (although i might be wrong) that they can extract the most performance from it in terms of it being packaged correctly with the cooling and where everything is placed areo wise.

TAG

dren wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 16:04
Any guesses the gap in P1 in qualifying to the next best qualifying team? I'm going to guess 3 tenths from Hamilton at P1 to Vettel in P3. Bottas will squeeze in there 2 tenths back in P2.
Looks like rain all day Saturday, so I doubt we'll get the usual mix.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Coinage
Coinage

F1Fan2018 wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 18:02
LM10 wrote:
Can anyone please explain me what is it all about with the qual engine topic? New regulations tell that let's say Mercedes and Williams must have the exact same engine and also software, right? So, will there even be any differences among the engines of each works teams and the teams they deliver? Again, shouldn't the qualy mode of Mercedes and Williams for example be the same this way?
From my understanding, yes they should be the same they should have the same access to engine maps/modes so Williams will be able to use the "Party mode" in qualy too and be able to use the extra boost during in laps and out laps during races with the different maps/modes
I would think cooling capabilities and chassis integration will vary the mapping from car to car even if the ICE and other components are the same.. I'm not sure how the engine suppliers integrate themselves with the team but my guess is that each team has their own mapping via the manufacturer PU guys with the teams working with the programmer back at the factory. Or maybe each team has their own programmer...?

Mansell89
Mansell89

I have to say I think the customer power unit debate really does appear a grey area. It feels like there are loopholes that allow the works teams to give “the same” power unit and unrestricted access, but not necessarily equip their customers with the same knowledge of how to extract the best from the power unit.

I can’t remember who it was but someone within the sport (possibly Paddy Lowe but correct me if I’m wrong) was saying that there are ways around it with mapping etc and customers not having all the intricate info available.

dans79

Mansell89 wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 18:22
I have to say I think the customer power unit debate really does appear a grey area. It feels like there are loopholes that allow the works teams to give “the same” power unit and unrestricted access, but not necessarily equip their customers with the same knowledge of how to extract the best from the power unit.

I can’t remember who it was but someone within the sport (possibly Paddy Lowe but correct me if I’m wrong) was saying that there are ways around it with mapping etc and customers not having all the intricate info available.
Many things are outside the rules and are up to individual teams discretion.
  1. who manufactures your fuel and oil
  2. is your cooling good enough to cope with the given modes
  3. is your exhaust good enough to cope with the given modes
  4. is your transmission ratios optimized for the best results
  5. does your aero philosophy align with how to extract the most out of the engine.
201 105 104 9 9 7

dren

TAG wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 18:11
dren wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 16:04
Looks like rain all day Saturday, so I doubt we'll get the usual mix.
Yes, you're right. Hmm, if it isn't changing conditions and a constant rain, I'd say Hamilton still grabs the pole. If it's changing conditions, a coin toss then.
Honda!

Phil

LM10 wrote:
Can anyone please explain me what is it all about with the equal engine topic? New regulations tell that let's say Mercedes and Williams must have the exact same engine and also software, right? So, will there even be any differences among the engines of each works teams and the teams they deliver? Again, shouldn't the qualy mode of Mercedes and Williams for example be the same this way?
AFAIK, all Mercedes customers have “qualiymode” available to them. It’s just that Williams and ForceIndia use them in Q1/Q2 already to make it into Q3 whereas Mercedes can get away with only using it in Q3, which is why it seems there is a huge jump in performance vs their customer teams.

That and the point that teams run their own fuels etc, so the performance might not be equal across all the teams even if the engine is identical. That and as Dans put it, differing cooling approaches/packaging etc.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter