2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jambier

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

iotar__ wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 11:38
- I'm surprised you put Ferrari and not Red Bull fighting for titles but I guess that's because of Evil Engine Limit.
Your division is not "fighting/not fighting" but engine brand.
Well I think the RB is a very good car.
And I love Renault, but I have to be honest: They will use 4 PU at least this year, and have a clear limitation with engine.
Even if the Renault cost only 4 tenth a lap, it would be too much to fight against Mercedes.

I'm sure RBR will be there on some races, win and even dominate. But not enough to be consistant for 21 races
Mr.G wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 12:01
Sorry but why others have to make the car? There is no rule that stops FI doing the same as HAAS they just doesn't want to... It's they're choice... Wasn't others "laughing" about the Haas idea from beginning? And now when he got successful with his approach they are just jealous?
Well when rules changes some years ago to force every team to do their own car, it was to prevent this kind of situation.
Then it is allowed so it's a very clever approach from HAAS.
If this continue to be good as it is, I think every small team will do this, reducing the number of different chassis on the grid.

But for now there is only Haas doing it, I find it a little unfair

FMP
FMP

Jambier wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 12:33
iotar__ wrote:
Mr.G wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 12:01
Sorry but why others have to make the car? There is no rule that stops FI doing the same as HAAS they just doesn't want to... It's they're choice... Wasn't others "laughing" about the Haas idea from beginning? And now when he got successful with his approach they are just jealous?
Well when rules changes some years ago to force every team to do their own car, it was to prevent this kind of situation.
If this continue to be good as it is, I think every small team will do this, reducing the number of different chassis on the grid.

Force India is buying more parts than Williams from Mercedes and hence can focus on producing a competetive chassi. Isn't that unfair then as well? Nope, because there are rules as to how much you can reproduce another car from previous years. And if Force India would think that for example Mercedes' 2017 car would be faster than their new car, their new car would be much more like Mercedes 2017 car. They all copy and reproduce things to the extent they think is valuable. Williams is basically a combination of Mercedes and Ferrari from 2017 and nobody calls them cheaters.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Has anyone costed the 'savings' from reducing the engine count per year? If customer teams only ran 1 engine per year, how much would they save?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Fulcrum wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 13:19
Has anyone costed the 'savings' from reducing the engine count per year? If customer teams only ran 1 engine per year, how much would they save?
Sky said today that the saving for customer teams is approximately 40% over last season. However, all of that is absorbed by the manufacturers because they have to research and develop (as well as manufacture) an engine that lasts 7 races. I get it... manufacturers have more money... but like, why should a team like redbull benefit from that? And they’re the ones with the nerve to say the engine rules need simplifying (because it would suit them!). Ferrari, merc, Renault and Honda have spent millions and millions over 5+ years developing this technology... now that redbull’s precious chassis doesn’t get to dominate ITS BAD, MMMKAY

dren

Haas looking like they are best of the rest. That's great to see! Also, the spread between Mclaren, FI, Williams, Renault, and TR seems to be a second. That midfield is going to be fun to watch. Ferrari clearly look like they are #3 now; that's what testing analysis was showing.
Honda!

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 12:26
GPR-A wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 09:27
These are times from FP2 2017. Having watched FP2 today, times have almost remained the same. In fact, FP2 fastest time by Lewis is slower than last year's FP2 time. Temperatures have remained more or less similar. What happened to all the development done to the cars in the last 12 months? Only Red Bull seems to have gone faster.

https://s9.postimg.org/p9acq9ezz/2017_aus_gp.png
Engines... Turned down much lower this year.
The 3 PU rule is stupid. It makes more difficult for the competence to fight with Mercedes, which has by far the most reliable PU(kudos for them for such a great job) and forces the teams to turn down the units which is bad for the spectacle. And its not only because they go slower than expected, but also because there will be certain moments where they can´t push because they have to save the PU.

rgava
rgava

Are really the cars this year "a lot" quicker than last year?

I've just checked times from 2017 FP2 and LH did 1'23.620 and 2018 1'23.931

Where are those 0.25 seconds gained by sidepods design? :twisted:

santos
santos

HAAS is really looking impressive so far. On the other side, i was hoping that Sauber, was bit better then last year. Even with 2018 Ferrari engine, they are well off the pace.

Santozini
Santozini

rgava wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 13:38

Engines are turned down a lot more this year thanks to the new limit of 3 per season

Vasconia

santos wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 13:43
HAAS is really looking impressive so far. On the other side, i was hoping that Sauber, was bit better then last year. Even with 2018 Ferrari engine, they are well off the pace.
And the chasis looks much more elaborated than last year´s car, I was expecting more. Maybe they need more time, drivers complain about car´s unpredictability.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Vasconia wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 13:50
santos wrote:
And the chasis looks much more elaborated than last year´s car, I was expecting more. Maybe they need more time, drivers complain about car´s unpredictability.
And the cars complain about the drivers unpredictability :wink:

zac510
zac510

johnny comelately wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 14:12
Vasconia wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 13:50
santos wrote:
And the cars complain about the drivers unpredictability :wink:
That might just be the funniest thing you'll ever say :)

TAG

Kingshark wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 09:35
Unfortunately, it tells you something about the state of this sport when pretty much everyone already knows the WDC and WCC before the season has even begun.

Let’s be real, do even the biggest optimists seriously believe that anyone other than Hamilton will actually win the championship?
I tells us that it's like being in the early part of the 2000 era? Could be worse, Mercedes could have asked Rosberg or Bottas to move aside white they were leading the race and let Hamilton win.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Mr.G

FMP wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 13:08
Jambier wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 12:33
iotar__ wrote:

Force India is buying more parts than Williams from Mercedes and hence can focus on producing a competetive chassi. Isn't that unfair then as well? Nope, because there are rules as to how much you can reproduce another car from previous years. And if Force India would think that for example Mercedes' 2017 car would be faster than their new car, their new car would be much more like Mercedes 2017 car. They all copy and reproduce things to the extent they think is valuable. Williams is basically a combination of Mercedes and Ferrari from 2017 and nobody calls them cheaters.
Well the discussion was about buying designed parts from manufacturing teams, not "copying"... But still rules are rules all the "small" teams have the right to choose. And if they go by the same path as HAAS wouldn't it be what FIA wanted? To unify...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Mr.G

Santozini wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 13:44
rgava wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 13:38

Engines are turned down a lot more this year thanks to the new limit of 3 per season
They gained 0.25s by sidepods design but lost 0.25s by halo - equilibrium :D
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts