2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
giantfan10
giantfan10

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

TAG wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:00
Sieper wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 18:50
Well don’t worry, to me this is now a fact, I wont be talking about it anymore at every race, but this was the first Q3 of 2018 with the lower limit and I was curious to see If they still had enough with the 0,6 liter and now it is clear to me the answer is Yes.
Not sure what you keep trying to rehash here is the the fact that both Ferrari and Mercedes are burning .6l of oil per 100km or is it that Mercedes are better than Ferrari because of it? You seem to be arguing different position in different posts.

The rule is going to be adhered to otherwise they' DSQ a results. What's your issue beyond that?
Here let me explain it for you better... there are some on this forum who claim that it is only Ferrari that has been burning oil for performance...So anytime the FACT that Mercedes also burns oil comes up and any poster dares to try to figure out where their extra party mode comes from we get the usual suspects trying to muddy the waters and shout down any conversation about this for some odd reason..maybe it doesnt fit the Mercedes is holier than though image ...i have no clue

GPR-A duplicate2

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:43
ferkan wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:35
This is interesting as Wolff and Lauda say Hamilton was pitch perfect as far as tire prep goes and they were surprised by grip he had there. Perhaps it was mix of great lap coupled with tires being in perfect window. Certainly it didnt look anywhere that good for Valteri and Ham before Q3, it was scruffy actually.

As for engines, AMUS reports that Merc engineers think Ferrari needs to save less fuel during race and that could be an issue. Merc certainly doesnt seem to enjoy same engine advantage compared to last year (look at top 10 teams today).

In any case...perhaps we might actually see interesting season if Ferrari gets on top of things and RB gets few horsies more.
That same AMuS reported Ferrari had to save fuel dramatically in Barcelona, that Haas was ahead of them, and Red Bull by far as well. Now they report Merc has to save fuel? :lol:
Come on man, fuel usage depends upon the weather. It was cold in Barcelona and it suits Mercedes PU and there, the PU was less hungry for fuel and in Australia, the weather is hot and hence, it has become more hungier, whereas Ferrari PU was shivering in the cold Barcelona and needed more fuel to keep up the temperatures and here in Melbourne, it is actually very happy with the warm temperatures. Not that tough, you see! :lol:

Shrieker

Sieper wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:12
So you are arguing, despite Toto confirming it, Mercedes has no performance mode?
Vettel (and people) had been bitching about the difference between Hamilton's two laps in Q3. The first one was slower than Vettel's fastest lap in Q2, so I don't understand what the fuss is about. On his final run HAM did a 21.1, and only then people (including Vettel if I'm not mistaken) started screaming party mode. If you're going to accept what Toto says as the truth, than it means HAM's first run in Q3 (22.051) also had the same engine mode as the last lap, so the difference has to come from somewhere else. Possibly shiny new tires combined with hooking up the lap real good. This is not unheard of from Hamilton you know... Sometimes he does these laps and completely blitzes the opposition, and sometimes he's lackluster and ends up in 4th or something behind his team mate...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Vasconia

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:03
The side by side comparison is interesting. Hamilton made so much time in a few corners, particularly in the first sector. Kimi was catching on the straights. But that Mercedes was on rails through the corners. No magic buttons help with that, just spot on aero and a driver who has a total feel for and trust in the car.
The difference is just brutal, it reminds me how faster was the Schumacher in 2002 with the Ferrari, lots of downforce,they need to overtake lewis at the start and then try to hold him , its the only chance

dans79

Vasconia wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:03
The side by side comparison is interesting. Hamilton made so much time in a few corners, particularly in the first sector. Kimi was catching on the straights. But that Mercedes was on rails through the corners. No magic buttons help with that, just spot on aero and a driver who has a total feel for and trust in the car.
The difference is just brutal, it reminds me how faster was the Schumacher in 2002 with the Ferrari, lots of downforce,they need to overtake lewis at the start and then try to hold him , its the only chance
It looks as if Mercedes have learned how to force the diva to comply with their demands.
201 105 104 9 9 7

NathanOlder

Seems like some people are complaining because Mercedes have something called party mode so it must be cheating ?

Its just another name (more of a joke) given to the media from Merc for their most powerful engine mode.

Ferrari have that too. Would you all sleep better if ferrari aaid their top engine mode is called rave mode or disco mode ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

Shrieker wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:02
Sieper wrote:
So you are arguing, despite Toto confirming it, Mercedes has no performance mode?
Vettel (and people) had been bitching about the difference between Hamilton's two laps in Q3. The first one was slower than Vettel's fastest lap in Q2, so I don't understand what the fuss is about. On his final run HAM did a 21.1, and only then people (including Vettel if I'm not mistaken) started screaming party mode. If you're going to accept what Toto says as the truth, than it means HAM's first run in Q3 (22.051) also had the same engine mode as the last lap, so the difference has to come from somewhere else. Possibly shiny new tires combined with hooking up the lap real good. This is not unheard of from Hamilton you know... Sometimes he does these laps and completely blitzes the opposition, and sometimes he's lackluster and ends up in 4th or something behind his team mate...
Yes, contrary on what i believed earlier today I do believe Ham also had the performance mode on in his first Q3 lap. This is what toto said and ham himselve also said he made no changes during Q3. At first I believed it was only on in run 2 but somebody a bit earlier in this topic said hams third sector of his 1st Q3 run was slow, so, Yes, it seems very likely the high performance mode was on during the whole of Q3.

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:21
Ferrari have that too. Would you all sleep better if ferrari aaid their top engine mode is called rave mode or disco mode ?
What aboult Polka mode?
201 105 104 9 9 7

galien
galien

In my humble opinion, the "party mode" are the others words for: "we make the tires running in the right way".

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:24
NathanOlder wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:21
What aboult Polka mode?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjNdWPPOWo
:lol:

I just watched all of that!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

basti313
basti313

Sieper wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:22
Shrieker wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:02
Sieper wrote:
Yes, contrary on what i believed earlier today I do believe Ham also had the performance mode on in his first Q3 lap. This is what toto said and ham himselve also said he made no changes during Q3. At first I believed it was only on in run 2 but somebody a bit earlier in this topic said hams third sector of his 1st Q3 run was slow, so, Yes, it seems very likely the high performance mode was on during the whole of Q3.
I think the only reason for the parity during the first Q3 runs was the fact, that Ham had half a hot Q3 lap on the tires before the red flag. Everybody else was behind Bot and went directly into the pits after the crash. That gives easily more than half a second performance loss.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Sieper

Yes, that is indeed very likely, good reasoning. So that explains a big part of the difference and we can confirm that Mercedes has found enough in its engine to have the performance mode on during the whole of Q3. So 2 chances for Bot and Ham to get pole. I predict a lot of them.

Jambier

Mercedes engine is an advantage but not only in qualy, the fuel consumption is the big one I think

Marko said :
They have their special qualifying mode for the engine and they win three or four tenths when they turn it on.

"Even in race trim they have 30hp more, with better fuel consumption and they start with 15kg less fuel. That’s about three tenths per lap

NathanOlder

Edit.
Last edited by NathanOlder on 24 Mar 2018, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:27
dans79 wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 20:24

What aboult Polka mode?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjNdWPPOWo
:lol:

I just watched all of that!
Same here :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.