2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Talisman
Talisman

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Snorked wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 08:44
Big update coming in April according to Hartley:

"The team is planning to launch a big update in April and we are looking forward to the next race,"

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/smart/c ... __split_1/
According to that article Hartley hit a kerb badly damaging the left rear floor which resulted in that tyre being punctured. Lost a lot of downforce. I don’t think we can conclude much from STRs pace this weekend.

godlameroso

There's 3 races in April, Bahrain, Shanghai, and Baku.
Saishū kōnā

HPD

"I was losing a lot of downforce and I was keeping quite keeper to keep the tire to the end (too), so I can not judge my ability from today's pace, but keeping that much Ultra Soft Tire management was not bad, considering being able to do, especially the last five laps, I was surprised that the grip was still there for the moment "(Hartley)
Yes, I would bet for Baku
Obviously we are talking about an update of the chassis.

loner

HPD wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 13:46
"I was losing a lot of downforce and I was keeping quite keeper to keep the tire to the end (too), so I can not judge my ability from today's pace, but keeping that much Ultra Soft Tire management was not bad, considering being able to do, especially the last five laps, I was surprised that the grip was still there for the moment "(Hartley)
this is an old car there is alot of tenths in updating the chassis and shrinking the rear
para bellum.

godlameroso

loner wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 14:14
HPD wrote:
this is an old car there is alot of tenths in updating the chassis and shrinking the rear
Easier said than done.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

Talisman wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 13:15
Snorked wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 08:44
Big update coming in April according to Hartley:

"The team is planning to launch a big update in April and we are looking forward to the next race,"

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/smart/c ... __split_1/
According to that article Hartley hit a kerb badly damaging the left rear floor which resulted in that tyre being punctured. Lost a lot of downforce. I don’t think we can conclude much from STRs pace this weekend.
What a bad stream we lernt this from Hartley that he haf puncture

techman
techman

yes that one area they can work on. also the side turning vanes are still old ones from last year. i really like the hass and redbull side turning vanes. hopefully another half a second more should be closer to the top midfield runner hass

loner

godlameroso wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 14:42
loner wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 14:14
HPD wrote:

Easier said than done.
indeed .. true story though .. much people praising James Key despite his nothing budget.
para bellum.

godlameroso

He's definitely talented as is the Faenza squad, as with anything lack of funding hurts them, makes upgrades slower to churn out. This has the benefit of forcing the team to be more efficient, to put parts on the car that have a high probability of making a difference. Some of the more well funded teams take a throw it on the wall and see what sticks approach, you often hear these teams saying they have wind tunnel or CFD correlation issues.
Saishū kōnā

McHonda
McHonda

I think their upgrade will do well. They're a very competent outfit and now they've had a few months with their own full chassis dyno it should really pay dividends around the Spain upgrade timescale.

They had to throw out their plans for the rear end so it was always going to be compromised somewhat but I do think the upgrade will take them past Sauber and Williams, track dependent, and maybe even get them into the mix further up.

James Key is legit,his cars at STR have all been tidy little numbers so no reason why with the extra facilities he won't deliver. And Honda's next upgrade won't be far away either, whatever size or reliability still isn't important, progress is. Continually moving forward to the point they are attractive to Red Bull is the only important thing.

RonDennis
RonDennis

James Key hasn't done anything special in the last few years, stop hyping him. If he was the world's greatest he would have worked for Red Bull Racing, instead of not.

McHonda
McHonda

RonDennis wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 16:57
James Key hasn't done anything special in the last few years, stop hyping him. If he was the world's greatest he would have worked for Red Bull Racing, instead of not.
Look at the cars he's had a hand in from Sauber and then STR with the budgets he's had. Those hype themselves.

The reason he isn't at Red Bull yet is Newey, there is no room and they want him running TD's rather than just working in them and this is the best experience.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
James Key actually did well in Sauber prior to joining Toro Rosso. There was also talk of interest from Ferrari and Williams in recent past. People have different ambitions and view success their own way. The STR10 and 11 were very efficient cars, especially 11, even with the late switch to year old Ferrari engines. They were strong at chassis tracks like Barcelona, Hungaroring and Austin.
It's important to remember he's a Technical Director, at the moment there is no space for him in Red Bull. He definitely won't leave that position for something less, like say head of aerodynamics. Who knows, maybe he's been kept for when Adrian Newey calls it a day, or takes a major step back.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McHonda wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:37
RonDennis wrote:
Look at the cars he's had a hand in from Sauber and then STR with the budgets he's had. Those hype themselves.

The reason he isn't at Red Bull yet is Newey, there is no room and they want him running TD's rather than just working in them and this is the best experience.
Wow!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McHonda
McHonda

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:46
McHonda wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:37
RonDennis wrote:

Wow!
:?:

Edited because I think I get it now, it's because we said pretty much the same thing at the same time,right? :P