Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
muramasa
muramasa

Re: Honda Power Unit

Thunder18 wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 21:52
rumours of a turbo change, due to Mguh failure.
Don't know what that is but that's 100% false because Tanabe said they would send the power unit back to Sakura for investigation in the post race interview (from which you can just deduce why that is false or easy technical guess anyone can make out of known facts ie mgu-h hardware failure/breakage).

To elaborate: the PU should arrive at Sakura on Monday, and they cannot just open up the PU if they want to reuse it because all components are sealed, so it wont be that easy and quick to check and identify if ICE is fine or not etc and the extent of damage etc by Wedsnesday. Even if that's possible there is no way such info would escape from Sakura anyway. I would say only mgu-h swap, others might say ICE is damaged too by metal bits, or just maintenance component damaged so all components usable, etc, just 4-5 people say different things and someone will definitely get it right.

I understand why crave for info but there is no facts in rumors etc. Expecting facts in rumors is like expecting to find gems and cash in a bush or on the street.

godlameroso

The burning catalytic converters on the billions of cars on the road means there's small amounts of platinum laying on the ground. :lol:

Regarding Honda, the smoke wasn't coming out of the tail pipe but what seems to be the breather.

Saishū kōnā

McMika98
McMika98

muramasa wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:49
Thunder18 wrote:
rumours of a turbo change, due to Mguh failure.
Don't know what that is but that's 100% false because Tanabe said they would send the power unit back to Sakura for investigation in the post race interview (from which you can just deduce why that is false or easy technical guess anyone can make out of known facts ie mgu-h hardware failure/breakage).
Thats a speculation based on assumption that if there is an issue with MGUH, reported as an anomaly by Tanabe, they will have to also change the turbo due to the construction. That was my question preseason, has Honda designed the new PU with interchangeable components?
The reporter suggests maybe not and any issue to MGUH or turbo would mean replacement of both even if one is healthy. Renault for sure can replace any of the PU components independently.

rogazilla
rogazilla

wuzak wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 11:41
Talisman wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 09:33
wuzak wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 07:33

How much damage did Hartley have?

How much time did it cost him?

It sounds much more like an excuse, rather than a reason.
He had a damaged floor.

You’re better than this wuzak, what’s your issue here?
Did he?

How did that happen. As far as I can tell, he didn't go off the track.

He had a flatspot, but that shouldn't damage the floor.

I just can't see how this was a positive race for Toro Rosso or Honda. They are still some way off.
Explanation was he hit the kerb and damaged the floor. the damaged bodywork punctured his tire.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

godlameroso wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 17:46
The burning catalytic converters on the billions of cars on the road means there's small amounts of platinum laying on the ground. :lol:

Regarding Honda, the smoke wasn't coming out of the tail pipe but what seems to be the breather.
Is that just before he retired ? To me it definitely looked like exhaust pipe/ wastegates.
If those puffs were from the breather the ICE is kaput.

godlameroso

Yeah he was pulling into the pits in that shot.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Hello Wazari. Are turbo rpms slower this year in the new engine? And has Honda imolemented the ideas from the aviation department yet?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hecan
hecan

Thunder18 wrote:
Renault had a turbo failure with lots of smoke in testing with McLaren, it did not require a PU change. Gaslys' engine was running when he got back to the pits, so it might not be a complete PU failure, rumours of a turbo change, due to Mguh failure.
If you're referring to this https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... s-1020322/ it was just tissue that burnt inside the air duct on the Mclaren

Talisman
Talisman

Mudflap wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 21:52
godlameroso wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 17:46

Is that just before he retired ? To me it definitely looked like exhaust pipe/ wastegates.
If those puffs were from the breather the ICE is kaput.
Didn’t the failure occur halfway through the lap? I’m not sure if I’m imagining things but didn’t Gasly make it back to the pits under his own power despite the failure? Seemed like the ICE was still functional.

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 23:08
Mudflap wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 22:57
godlameroso wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 22:36

Point is it's not the bump that caused it, bump was just the final straw. Not worried about it, sure it's a shame they're one PU down, but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Well, one PU down out of 3 with 20 races to go is still pretty big in the grand scheme of things.
And they are not blazing quick either.

It looks like the same sort of MGUH issues they were plagued with last season. If this really is a design issue, the replacement Turbo/MGUH is bound to be the same spec as the one that failed.
I suppose that's what the mid season upgrade centers around rectifying. It really isn't a big deal, it's obvious they're backmarkers, so penalties do nothing to them in the grand scheme of things. If everything is perfect they qualify near the back, if everything is a disaster they qualify at the back. Even if they take new engines and penalties every race it has no impact on their qualifying performance, but it can certainly move them up the grid during the race.
Did it happen before ? Did they explain What caused it ?

Revs84
Revs84

First sneak peek I found of the RA618H. Hope we can get more during the season.

https://youtu.be/xXG72HBOd2s

PlatinumZealot

Definutely air to air intercooling. Will they ever go air to water is a good question.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Well, seems that Honda sticks to founder Soichio-san's racing dictum (as recently quoted by Kevin Cameron),
"More is to be learned from failure, than success."
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

restless
restless

Are there other teams that use air to air ?

muramasa
muramasa

That youtube video is a collection of stolen pictures..

That radiator on the spine is gearbox and ERS cooler, not intercooler. Intercooler must be on the left sidepod if the layout is unchanged from 2017 unit.