2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gshevlin
gshevlin

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Talisman wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 22:02
They bought Brawn on the basis that the team would not cost a penny to run once sponsorship and prize money had been taken into account.
That was how Brawn operated in 2009, when they had transition funding from Honda, and only a couple of small commercial sponsors. In order to balance the books, Brawn let a lot of staff go, but expected to remain competitive because of the Resource Restriction Agreement (RRA) that all of the teams had supposedly agreed to.
Therefore their total F1 budget didn't increase after buying Brawn compared to previously where they developed and supplied a PU for McLaren and gave them cash just like Honda did with Woking. A large amount of the budget, far more than in Honda/Brawn days went on drivers, or rather Michael Schumacher, meaning that the car was actually developed on a moderate budget hence the poor initial results.
In interviews with Ross Brawn, he explained that when Mercedes bought Brawn, they expected the team to remain competitive because Brawn had operated in the 2009 season with a level of staffing that matched the RRA, and other teams were expected to downsize to comply with the RRA. It soon became clear that due to the collapse of FOTA, the RRA was also disappearing. Now the new Mercedes team had to go staff up again, having let good people go, in order to stay competitive.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Apparently, everybody in F1, past and present has a big mouth.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verg ... h-1020114/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Revs84
Revs84

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:33

Sour Grapes :lol:

Big Tea

Revs84 wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:42
Ground Effect wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:33

Sour Grapes :lol:

Its a good thing he 'chose' to go to FE rather than plod about F1 in a minnow team then isn't it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Revs84
Revs84

In my opinion, F1 still remains the pinnacle of motorsports, and I'd personally rather 'plod about F1 in a minnow team' with the chance to move to a bigger team, than plod about in a minnow series.

That being said, whatever floats his boat I guess :)

Big Tea

Revs84 wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 21:49
In my opinion, F1 still remains the pinnacle of motorsports, and I'd personally rather 'plod about F1 in a minnow team' with the chance to move to a bigger team, than plod about in a minnow series.

That being said, whatever floats his boat I guess :)

I was being wicked, I should probably have added a smile just to be sure readers understood. Sorry
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

gshevlin
gshevlin

Red Bull's attitude towards drivers in their program has always been "Up or Out". They have burned through all manner of drivers, some very good, some not so good, but they have mostly, with a couple of notable exceptions, been dropped quickly. The record of Sebastian Buemi since being dropped tells me that was a bad decision. Ditto Jean-Eric Vergne. And a lot of F1 people reckoned that Vitantonio Liuzzi was maybe the most talented of the young drivers, but he was bounced all over the place by Red Bull before being dropped and moving to other teams. The Red Bull driver program is a true "zero to hero to (mostly) zero" environment. I was surprised that they brought back Brendon Hartley. Maybe they are learning that the "up or out" approach has its limitations.

F1NAC

They admitted that they didn't have anyone exeptional un their junior lineup. Hence they've picked Hartley

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

F1NAC wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:17
They admitted that they didn't have anyone exeptional un their junior lineup. Hence they've picked Hartley
From all indications, JEV may be seen to have issues with his attitude in the eyes of Red Bull management. Probably that's why he wasn't considered. From what I know, Buemi is still the Red Bull test and development driver. I wonder if he was looked at.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Wouter

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:24
F1NAC wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:17
From all indications, JEV may be seen to have issues with his attitude in the eyes of Red Bull management. Probably that's why he wasn't considered. From what I know, Buemi is still the Red Bull test and development driver. I wonder if he was looked at.

I do not think that Buemi wants to drive for STR, only for RBR, but not for STR, only if a place is promised to them afterwards at RBR, but that is only possible if Ricciardo leaves and they did not know that at the end of last season.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

It is too early but my first impression is that if there is a seat available at Redbull Gasly will go there

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

etusch wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:56
It is too early but my first impression is that if there is a seat available at Redbull Gasly will go there
What about Carlos Sainz? He's still a Red Bull driver, wouldn't he be their first option?

etusch

As I said it's too early. If Gasly is a fast driver I think they will prefer him and if personal relations don't change to things (father sainz)

ME4ME

I think neither of the current Toro Rosso drivers will ever drive for Red Bull. If Ricciardo were to leave, they have Sainz. I'd say it's probably more likely that Alonso would drive for Red Bull if it wouldn't work out with Sainz, than Gasly or Hartley.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

ME4ME wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 14:13
I think neither of the current Toro Rosso drivers will ever drive for Red Bull. If Ricciardo were to leave, they have Sainz. I'd say it's probably more likely that Alonso would drive for Red Bull if it wouldn't work out with Sainz, than Gasly or Hartley.
+1