McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: McLaren MCL33

jk-27 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 14:10

Maybe, but so far everything McLaren say has proven to be misleading at best. I hope this 'we're waiting to have the crash test completed for a new front wing' isn't another false dawn.
Don't you know Boullier already? There's promise of a large update for every single weekend since he arrived at McLaren. Most times than not it turns out to be just a promise.

The people that were saying "McLaren is too slow because the car is too simple!!!" must be having a heart attack. It's now simpler than ever.

trinidefender
trinidefender

DiogoBrand wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 14:14
jk-27 wrote:

Maybe, but so far everything McLaren say has proven to be misleading at best. I hope this 'we're waiting to have the crash test completed for a new front wing' isn't another false dawn.
Don't you know Boullier already? There's promise of a large update for every single weekend since he arrived at McLaren. Most times than not it turns out to be just a promise.

https://images.scribblelive.com/2018/4/ ... a5_800.jpg

The people that were saying "McLaren is too slow because the car is too simple!!!" must be having a heart attack. It's now simpler than ever.
I haven't actually seen any reports stating explicitly that a big update is supposed to come all at one race. I've seen is bad journalists taking comments about updates way out of proportion. Apart from that it just seems they said that they should be bringing new updates every race.

Remember, many updates are under the skin or very difficult to spot, Internal aerodynamics etc.

Jackles-UK

Has the serated zig-zag slot near the leading edge of the floor (below the 'a' of Kimoa on the new side board) always been there? Can't remember seeing that before.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

I'm pretty sure it is new.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Looking directly below the O of Kimoa on the new sidepod flow conditioner, can I see a wing of some sort ahead of the floor front that protrudes from the monocoque? Is it new?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

ian_s

Jackles-UK wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 15:17

Has the serated zig-zag slot near the leading edge of the floor (below the 'a' of Kimoa on the new side board) always been there? Can't remember seeing that before.
I think what you're seeing is just the cable powering the fans on the side pod.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

ian_s wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 15:23
Jackles-UK wrote:

No, I think he pointed out on this red marked slots.

McHonda
McHonda

jk-27 wrote:
bauc wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 13:58
The main point is the the new nose, until they introduce the new nose they cant really put all of the other parts on the car, as the front wing and the nose are the first part which dictates how the airflow will go over the rest of the car. So, at the moment I think they are only adding parts which they think can add performance but the full package is still in the factory waiting on the new nose/front wing to be ready to be installed.
If people matched their expectations to what has actually been said by the team there wouldn't be so much disappointment. They said upgrades over the first few races and a new nose in Spain.

That's it and that's exactly what we've seen so far.

This is the new "best chassis" I assume with it being taken so far out of context that I''ve already seen someone say "where's the new car promised for Bahrain?" #-o

Its enough to drive you nuts.

ian_s

CLKGTR wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 15:35
ian_s wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 15:23
Jackles-UK wrote:

No, I think he pointed out on this red marked slots.

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... o-tech.jpg
yeah I completely misread the post and was looking at the K of kimoa #-o

mclaren111

Old vs New.

Open picture in new tab for larger version.

lio007

What do the aero-experts think about the flow pattern?

Coefficient
Coefficient

It's very green. :D
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

SiLo

Looks like they have very good flow attachment over all of those surfaces though.
Felipe Baby!

godlameroso

lio007 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 16:48
What do the aero-experts think about the flow pattern?
Are they really just letting that happen in the sidepod undercut?
Saishū kōnā