2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Good job by Honda and Toro Rosso, McLaren should be ashamed of themselves.

godlameroso

roon wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 22:50
godlameroso wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 18:12
Sayeman wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 18:10
P6!!!!
P5 after Hamilton's penalty is applied, and now a Honda powered car is best of the rest, the Red Bull junior team at that.
I'm ready for some '08 TR-Vettel moments this year.
I don't know if my body could handle it.
Saishū kōnā

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

RonDennis wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 22:53
This is sport, and no one should be ashamed for losing. This just needs to motivate them to do better job next time.

Revs84
Revs84

Sayeman wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 19:02
Situation has reversed for Honda this year. Last year everyone assumed Mclaren had one of the best chassis on the grid, so even a little bit of improvement was being attributed to the chassis. Now everyone know TR is a midfield team with a good but not great chassis. So results like these will give Honda more credibility.

I also think the extra money saved from paying Mclaren and Alonso is speeding up the development. Hopefully the engine holds up tomorrow.

Also the Mclaren chassis being draggy claims from last year might hold some truth as they are the slowest between the renaults on the straight, but that can easily be due to integration issue.
The maximum speed has increased to 333.3 km / h, fourth fastest. On the contrary, McLaren who was a partner until last year was 324.3 km / h, 316.7 km / h, and it was stagnant, "The slowness of the car last year was the influence of car body drag (air resistance)" The way of view has expanded. However, Tanabe Technical Director will not break down his cautious stance, "I can not say anything at this stage because it depends on what we are setting for cars."

"On the performance side, both the car body side and the power unit side are not yet visible, and we have developed targets by themselves, but please do not forget about the details about that. Let's express it as "step by step".

However, Toro Rosso, which was supposed to switch from Renault to Honda, said that the power difference was not such a difference that it is necessary to consider cutting sharp drag levels on the body side , The key is declared.

"In our simulation, we are designing a machine with the downforce amount and the drag amount considered to be the fastest running.In fact, the power of Honda is far apart compared with Renault not divided.

last year but heading of various article was Odo' to the media, the truth is there was no such a thing at all. did not how to think last year's McLaren but I do not know, myself at the moment as we We never have to change the aerodynamic philosophy (down to the loss downforce), and there is no such thing as Honda's power is much worse than that "

Toyoharu Tanabe

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_5.php

8th March 2018 - right after Barcelona testing.

Apologies for the poor Google translation, sometimes making sentences to read the opposite way, but the gist is that Honda was made to look much worse than it really was by McLaren and the media in general. The Honda engine was indeed the least powerful one on the track, however, the gap was much less than it was made to seem. Tanabe claims that the lack of speed on the straights was indeed, as our friend Techman has pointed out a 'few times', down to a draggy chassis.
Last edited by Revs84 on 07 Apr 2018, 23:22, edited 5 times in total.

Sayeman

RonDennis wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 22:53
Bit strong mate.
Never Give up.

Sayeman

Revs84 wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 23:18
Apologies for the poor Google translation, something making sentences to read the opposite way, but the gist is that Honda was made to look much worse than it really was by McLaren and the media in general. The Honda engine was indeed the least powerful one on the track, however, the gap was much less than it was made to seem. Tanabe claims that the lack of speed on the straights was indeed, as our friend Techman has pointed out a 'few times', down to a draggy chassis.
Problem was on both sides, Mclaren not compromising and Honda not making enough progress. See how TR has given Honda leeaway by giving the engine more room to breath, as the reliability goes up, they can make the rear tight again. If it were Mclaren I am sure they would have told Honda to improve the Pu rather than making the car less aero efficient.

Mclaren had some stability issues coming out of corners today, they had some similar issues in the last 3 years but the PU's lack of drivability was blamed mostly. Can't use the same reasoning anymore with Renault.

Some were even blaming Honda for the poor pitstops (!) because of the low morale. Divorce was the right way to go. Now Redbull is set to gain from their suffering. But with all those Aston martin logos around the car, will Honda let RBR rebrand their engines?
Never Give up.

Revs84
Revs84

Sayeman wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 23:24
Revs84 wrote:
Apologies for the poor Google translation, something making sentences to read the opposite way, but the gist is that Honda was made to look much worse than it really was by McLaren and the media in general. The Honda engine was indeed the least powerful one on the track, however, the gap was much less than it was made to seem. Tanabe claims that the lack of speed on the straights was indeed, as our friend Techman has pointed out a 'few times', down to a draggy chassis.
Problem was on both sides, Mclaren not compromising and Honda not making enough progress. See how TR has given Honda leeaway by giving the engine more room to breath, as the reliability goes up, they can make the rear tight again. If it were Mclaren I am sure they would have told Honda to improve the Pu rather than making the car less aero efficient.

Mclaren had some stability issues coming out of corners today, they had some similar issues in the last 3 years but the PU's lack of drivability was blamed mostly. Can't use the same reasoning anymore with Renault.

Some were even blaming Honda for the poor pitstops (!) because of the low morale. Divorce was the right way to go. Now Redbull is set to gain from their suffering. But with all those Aston martin logos around the car, will Honda let RBR rebrand their engines?
I was just quoting Tanabe in reply to your comment about McLaren running high drag in 2017.

The ones blaming Honda for the poor pitstops were again McLaren; I believe it was Boullier who mentioned this during Barcelona testing, stating that they could not practice pit stops due to the issues they were facing.

In regards to RBR re-branding Honda engines, I can tell you right away that it will not happen. Neither as a customer team and even less as a works team.

godlameroso

Revs84 wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 23:44
Sayeman wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 23:24
Revs84 wrote:

I was just quoting Tanabe in reply to your comment about McLaren running high drag in 2017.

The ones blaming Honda for the poor pitstops were again McLaren; I believe it was Boullier who mentioned this during Barcelona testing, stating that they could not practice pit stops due to the issues they were facing.

In regards to RBR re-branding Honda engines, I can tell you right away that it will not happen. Neither as a customer team and even less as a works team.
Hmm who do you go with, the biggest engine maker in the world who is starting to show everyone they have an engine that belongs on the grid, or Aston Martin. It's a pickle, because I don't think Aston Martin would ever use a Honda engine in any of it's cars(Despite the NSX engine being lighter than Mercedes twin turbo V8). There are certainly opportunities in a tie up, with a better engine Red Bull's probability of success would increase, it's almost a no brainer.

But maybe I'm being over eager, now I'm really anxious to see the race.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

In my opinion it would be better a 2019 STR full designed and integrated with Honda engine, rather than split the efforts to STR and RBR... Seeing how the relationship was with an historic team with top drivers... I'm not much friendly of a partnerhsip with other big team that soon...

Marti_EF3 wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 23:56
In my opinion it would be better a 2019 STR full designed and integrated with Honda engine, rather than split the efforts to STR and RBR... Seeing how the relationship was with an historic team with top drivers... I'm not much friendly of a partnerhsip with other big team that soon...
Problem is it isn't just for RB to decide. If you are Renault and you see Honda improving, are you going to want to keep supplying a team with a sister team being the works partner of a direct competitor? Even with how the PUs are watched by the Renault technicians there will be opportunity for knowledge transfer to Honda. Maybe Renault won't care, but if it were me, I'd be paranoid.

vassilispapadop
vassilispapadop

A big congratulations to the team today. Personally, i was expecting a performance improvement this weekend but this is astonishing! P6 and P11 it's almost like front row lock up! TR and Honda seems to be set for bright future. I believe the chassis benefited from track temperatures today and made tires work properly(contrary to Melbourne). Of course updates and new MGU-H helped the guys but i think they just fined tuned their package today. As for tomorrow's race, Friday's long runs were comparable to Renault, McLaren and HAAS so we shouldn't be much worried about holding positions(hopefully a good start). Reliability remains to be seen.

And a wild prediction, if the team can repeat this result 1 or 2 times before summer break then the writings are on the wall. RedBull - Honda for 2019.

Revs84
Revs84

For me it is a no brainer to choose Honda over Aston. The latter might be a premium luxury brand, but other than that, it's not even comparable to Honda in terms of racing history, brand, followers and funding.

Then again, I admit I'm biased, and one also has to consider any contractual agreements between RBR and Aston.

In regards to Honda partnering with RBR I already stated in another post earlier today that I could care less. I personally would prefer to see Honda focusing all their efforts in TR and fight for a championship together.

Then again, having 4 engines on the grid does have it's own benefits and I'm sure Honda wouldn't mind having that extra data that would allow it to develop at an even faster rate.

!Technical
!Technical

Epic performance by STR-Honda. I just hope they can keep it together for the race and not lose a position every lap like the Mercs did in 2012.

Soichiro
Soichiro

Very happy with performance in Qualifying. Great recovery from TR engineers (compared to last race) and excellent drive by Galsy. Anyway eagerly awaiting the race, though I think 9th or above would be a good result for Gasly at the moment.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. 8)

restless
restless

First, let finish the race and get some points. The fish is still in the sea