Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit

By Adding a motogp side to this discussion I want to link a Rossi statement about Honda. He said yamaha must spend more on electronics like Honda does. Standart electronic parts is not something Honda likes. They have their hybrid works for road cars. And as you know hybrid and fully electic cars are future of automotive so every car maker will build their plants for producing this kind of parts. Maybe Honda buying from outside some of these components. But they must build their own and I think it will get better their mgu-h. by midseason

Serbian4ever
Serbian4ever

As far as i know Honda use its genue honda made electric instalations and parts, they do not use parts from others. The motorcycles and cars which have jhm in chassis number they are 99% honda. Cars made in uk or usa use some parts which are not from japan. I think by my expirience with honda cars and motorcycle ( my father and i selling honda parts in serbia and dessembling crashed cars ) honda allways make their own genue parts thats their philosophy only part that i not know that is not honda maded on honda car is stereo on older cars and airbags which is made by takata.iam sure that Honda use their own parts for whole f1 pu, just batteries are not theirs. My english is bad iam from Serbia i think u get a point.

Serbian4ever
Serbian4ever

also Honda allways build their own way of making cars and racing engines it can not be compared with any other manufacturer, simple they are unique so i belive that mclaren is main problem in mcl honda divorce because now mclaren with renault pu is still 15 kmh off in all speed traps...

techman
techman

yes i always thought it was not only honda fault , their chassis was way draggy causing drop the top speeds as we are seeing now

Serbian4ever
Serbian4ever

Also TR admited that honda gained HP from more space in the rear

Serbian4ever
Serbian4ever

For ones who know how Honda works and how they make cars, motorcycles... They know that honda do not gamble and they do everything to perfection and relability is in first place so i was surprised how bad they are with mcl. Actualy 70% of problems were vibrations, oil leaks and that also can be connected to chasiss. I do not trust Mclaren. Honda was defending allways with words “ when we tested engine in tge factory it worked without any glitch or problem”

godlameroso

Honda still has suppliers, some of the suppliers are subsidiaries of Honda. For example Showa makes Hondas dampers. They're a major damper manufacturer who also happen to be a Honda subsidiary. Same with Keihin who makes Honda's AC compressors. They also have suppliers for valves, valve springs, coil packs.
Last edited by godlameroso on 08 Apr 2018, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Snorked
Snorked

Wouter wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 09:07
Snorked wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 20:36
Vibrations from bumps / kerbs caused the failure according to the headline: http://members.f1-life.net/race/66247/
Could you or someone else possibly translate the most important things from the article?
Where does this information come from and by whom? Thank you.
Info is from Honda interview / Yoneya.

I can't post details as I don't know how to subscribe.

But Albert Fabrega says Honda have reduced vibrations that they suffered from in Melbourne with the new MGU-H and can now run it at a higher rpm.

PhillipM
PhillipM

sn809 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 11:30
It was a MAT battery and recovery system. All cars use a MAT ECU as MAT won the tender for it. They then write their own software code even customer teams. This is why Merc team uses their engines better than the customer teams. They have better coded software for their cars.
I'm aware of the ecu regs, that's not what I was referring to.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

So...do we know is Gasly's engine was an updated design? ie the engine earmarked for race 7?

Snorked
Snorked

ICE is the same spec as second Barcelona test / Melbourne.

Fuel efficiency and power output looks to have seen a big improvement since last year. Great job by Honda - now bring on Canada.

mrluke
mrluke

Snorked wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:08
ICE is the same spec as second Barcelona test / Melbourne.

Fuel efficiency and power output looks to have seen a big improvement since last year. Great job by Honda - now bring on Canada.
I don't think there's much evidence to demonstrate a massive improvement.

Snorked
Snorked

Gasly said he could drive flat out all race, that's a big improvement over last season where McLaren were constantly whining about saving fuel.

Singabule
Singabule

Snorked wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:25
Gasly said he could drive flat out all race, that's a big improvement over last season where McLaren were constantly whining about saving fuel.
Depend on chasis. Everybody know MCL loves DF (and drag)

godlameroso

So the Honda engine has finally come on strong, their Indy car engine is good, their IMSA engine is good, their Moto GP engine is good, their Super GT engine is good, and now their F1 engine is good. What a resurgence.

I think there's still more to come from the power unit, it's just one race, but goes to show they're at least on the right path. I'm very interested in that post a few pages back regarding Honda patents, I wonder if some of that bares any relation to these engines.
Saishū kōnā