Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit

I read here that Gasly didn't do fuel saving during race. This is very very good news.

loner

well MR WAZARI .. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
para bellum.

maguetox
maguetox

loner wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 23:04
well MR WAZARI .. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
When Honda win and they are the benchmark, you can say that.

For now a small but very important step in the right direction.

makecry
makecry

Hey @marumasa, do you still translate stuff like you used to? I am really really interested in press conference after Australia and today. Something changed. You dont go from being dead last to P4 within 10 days.

GhostF1
GhostF1

makecry wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 01:30
Hey @marumasa, do you still translate stuff like you used to? I am really really interested in press conference after Australia and today. Something changed. You dont go from being dead last to P4 within 10 days.
I think it was shown during practice over the weekend, P1 and P2. Gasly's car ran the new, upgraded setup, Hartley remained on the Melbourne setup. Gasly was top 10 always, Hartley was nowhere, when Hartley received the upgrade package on Saturday, he immediately jumped up to more or less match Gasly. I think a lot of it was the TR chassis.

Dead last and P4 is also a vague description of events. Wrong setup, punctures, turbo failure, all contributed to their position in Aus. P4 is thanks to Verstappen, Ricciardo and Kimi's retirement. So we can assume their target is now P7-P8.

Marko said Melbourne was not representative of TR's pace due to setup errors and aero package updates not available (as we see have been fitted in Bahrain). So there has been some form of explanation

godlameroso

GhostF1 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 02:13
makecry wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 01:30
I think it was shown during practice over the weekend, P1 and P2. Gasly's car ran the new, upgraded setup, Hartley remained on the Melbourne setup. Gasly was top 10 always, Hartley was nowhere, when Hartley received the upgrade package on Saturday, he immediately jumped up to more or less match Gasly. I think a lot of it was the TR chassis.

Dead last and P4 is also a vague description of events. Wrong setup, punctures, turbo failure, all contributed to their position in Aus. P4 is thanks to Verstappen, Ricciardo and Kimi's retirement. So we can assume their target is now P7-P8.

Marko said Melbourne was not representative of TR's pace due to setup errors and aero package updates not available (as we see have been fitted in Bahrain). So there has been some form of explanation
Hartley trialed the bird version, so had to revert to the old wing.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

It seems that no fuel saving during all race, no?? Or at least was a minor saving compared to last year... Maybe running "confortable" on 4th with clean air helped a little, but anyway it's a good step forward

Soichiro
Soichiro

Singabule wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:26
Snorked wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:25
Gasly said he could drive flat out all race, that's a big improvement over last season where McLaren were constantly whining about saving fuel.
Depend on chasis. Everybody know MCL loves DF (and drag)
Well that is not Honda's problem, is it? Toro Rosso was faster with less downforce and drag then.

Singabule
Singabule

Soichiro wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 06:31
Singabule wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 19:26
Snorked wrote:
Gasly said he could drive flat out all race, that's a big improvement over last season where McLaren were constantly whining about saving fuel.
Depend on chasis. Everybody know MCL loves DF (and drag)
Well that is not Honda's problem, is it? Toro Rosso was faster with less downforce and drag then.
Yup, however RB loves high DF too. At least next season honda already improved a lot so the deployment and fuel strategy is the main concern next year. The parity of 3% already there. FIA not joking.

Talisman
Talisman

Snorked wrote:
Tost congratulated Pierre on amongst other things his fuel management. I think it’s reasonable to say that he did save fuel during the race although he was also helped by the VSC periods too.

Pierre talking about driving flat out could refer to driving to a delta.

I don’t think it likely that Honda have suddenly made their fuel consumption issues disappear overnight although I would be interested to find out if the ‘new’ TC and MGUH fitted for Bahrain were upgraded for performance or merely featured a short term fix for Gasly’s problem in Melbourne.

vassilispapadop
vassilispapadop

Honda made publicly available that it was a counter measure to prevent AUS repeat. So it was supposed to be a reliability upgrade. Perhaps TR sorted out their tire issues have encountered in Melbourne. Also, Gasly quoted that besides aero updates they changed their setup philosophy for this race and it paid out. I think in China will get a clearer picture of each team chassis performance but probably not as combo, if that makes sense!

GhostF1
GhostF1

vassilispapadop wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 12:35
Honda made publicly available that it was a counter measure to prevent AUS repeat. So it was supposed to be a reliability upgrade. Perhaps TR sorted out their tire issues have encountered in Melbourne. Also, Gasly quoted that besides aero updates they changed their setup philosophy for this race and it paid out. I think in China will get a clearer picture of each team chassis performance but probably not as combo, if that makes sense!
I believe Honda said the countermeasure update allowed for better resistance to vibrations and more stability which allowed them to run MGU-H at a higher rpm range. The unit was in development from information gathered at testing. The premature failure of the version in Melbourne allowed the unit with the "fix" to be introduced. Unfortunate that didn't it make it before the Aus GP.

Revs84
Revs84

This year, insiders say Honda have closed to within about 12bhp of the Renault and that a further 25-30bhp is due with an engine upgrade at the Canadian Grand Prix in June. Honda never divulge performance figures, and only reveal when upgrades will appear at the race in question.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/43702834

Anyone has seen this 'insider's information elsewhere?

Revs84
Revs84

Not much in terms of new information, but still a good read nonetheless.

http://en.hondaracingf1.com/insights/th ... -heat.html

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

I just wish Honda were more open about updates and improvements.

It would be good to know before the F1 official Friday afternoon document whats been changed.

I know it's all about making sure your rivals know as little as possible but for the fans it's great when you hear some technical nuggets such as "yeah we've been able to get the MGU-H deployment to work better because of x". In the paddock there can't be that many secrets anyway.