2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
toraabe
toraabe

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

GhostF1 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 13:15
toraabe wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 10:05
Harvester wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 00:10

I think he did it to give honda some satisfaction after all bashing Alonso did last year.
If you look at the onboard camera, they are now operating the engine in it's optimum range.
They are hardly above 11,5k, in which is much less than last year.
I noticed the earlier shift points this race when I was watching! I haven't found any on board footage from a TR now though. Any links??
Viaplay

Marti_EF3

Average pace

Average times per stints

Stint 1 and 2

Stint 3

Good pace for STR
Last edited by Marti_EF3 on 10 Apr 2018, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

If Honda's Canada update is 30 hp, do you have a number they gain only by this power ?

Sayeman

etusch wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 11:19
If Honda's Canada update is 30 hp, do you have a number they gain only by this power ?
What's the current deficit now to others? Any ballpark figure from anyone?
Never Give up.

dren

BBC was reporting 12hp to Renault now. I'm not sure how trustworthy that is, but it does look like the Honda is in the ballpark of Renault, so it's plausible. Of course there's more to it than just outright peak power numbers. The Honda isn't running out of deployment down the long straights like it was a few years ago.
Honda!

etusch

Toyoharu Tanabe, F1 Technical Director, Honda, celebrates a good re
Honda will step up the development of its Formula 1 engine’s performance after scoring the best result since it returned to F1 in 2015 last weekend.

Pierre Gasly’s fourth place for Toro Rosso in Bahrain last weekend was better than anything McLaren managed in three trouble-hit years with Honda power before swapping engine suppliers with the Red Bull junior team for 2018.

Honda’s F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe told Motorsport.com he wants the result to “give us much more energy to develop for the future”.

Motorsport.com understands Honda is targeting a step of around 27bhp for the Canadian Grand Prix in June.

Tanabe said the internal combustion engine is “one of the biggest components to improve from the development point of view”.

He added: “Our development is not only reliability, it is performance. We need to find the balance point.

“When you push too much performance you pay sometimes. Or you don’t push very much, still you fail sometimes.

“It’s difficult. But we will try to achieve both.”

Toro Rosso technical director James Key said Honda has “an ambitious set of targets” and intends to recover “noticeable ground” this year.

As well as advanced combustion technology, Honda still needs to improve the energy recovery systems on its V6 turbo-hybrid.

Energy harvested from the MGU-H and MGU-K can be stored by the battery and deployed by the MGU-K to a certain limit per lap.

However, the MGU-H can also feed energy directly to the MGU-K for unlimited deployment, with Honda often suffering on end-of-straight speed because of limitations in that package.

Tanabe said it was “very difficult” to say how much progress had been made with its energy recovery systems, but suggested in Bahrain it had worked out how to maximise the performance it currently has available.

“After Saturday’s practice session our engineers discussed how to use the system with the drivers,” he explained.

“We decided a detailed strategy and I believe that worked [in Bahrain].

“We finished two cars this race. That’s one of the most important things of the weekend for us. The fourth place we got was a result of finishing the race.”

Key said getting reliability “under control” would be crucial to Honda’s development plan, and was buoyed by Honda’s response to Gasly retiring from the season opener in Melbourne.

Problems with his MGU-H and turbocharger damaged the internal combustion engine in Gasly’s car, so Honda launched a dual investigation trackside and back at its Sakura research and development facility, where the parts were sent for further analysis.

It produced a fix in time for Bahrain, with Brendon Hartley’s components also changed as a precaution.

Tanabe could not say the problems were “100% fixed”, but “from our information we have now we assume we’ve fixed it”.

He also revealed its years of problems with McLaren helped facilitate the rapid turnaround.

“From our experience since 2015 we had a lot of failures,” said Tanabe. “That experience helped us fix the problem in a short time as well.”
From motorsport.com

Canadian GP at 10 June. 27 hp after 2 month
Last edited by etusch on 10 Apr 2018, 12:53, edited 2 times in total.

techman
techman

i never believe anything that benson @bbc reports. this guy at most time get it wrong. he twist so many facts.

HPD

GhostF1 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 09:16
McLaren, drivers and team heads have made a point of sniping at Honda since testing. Stoffel with his tweets adding "overtaking is nice", EB with his blatant comments. STR have reacted to it. They are both acutely aware of what each other are saying. I still can't get over the "Woking" jab tweet TR posted at testing when MCL lost a wheel lol
I like it when the official twitter accounts of the teams face each other. It's usually fun, it's like a separate show.
But when a manager says bad things about another company. It is very unprofessional.
I have a lot of respect for Mclaren. But I'm honest, EB and Zak are killing the team..
I apologize to the Mclaren fans if my comments are strong when I criticize the team. It's not really against Mclaren, but against EB and Zak.
I hope TR Honda will beat Mclaren at the end of the year. And the owners of Mclaren renovate the staff. (It is my personal opinion)

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

HPD wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:42
GhostF1 wrote:
McLaren, drivers and team heads have made a point of sniping at Honda since testing. Stoffel with his tweets adding "overtaking is nice", EB with his blatant comments. STR have reacted to it. They are both acutely aware of what each other are saying. I still can't get over the "Woking" jab tweet TR posted at testing when MCL lost a wheel lol
I like it when the official twitter accounts of the teams face each other. It's usually fun, it's like a separate show.
But when a manager says bad things about another company. It is very unprofessional.
I have a lot of respect for Mclaren. But I'm honest, EB and Zak are killing the team..
I apologize to the Mclaren fans if my comments are strong when I criticize the team. It's not really against Mclaren, but against EB and Zak.
I hope TR Honda will beat Mclaren at the end of the year. And the owners of Mclaren renovate the staff. (It is my personal opinion)
Well for me is just not okay for TR to be dragged in MC Honda feud.
I can understand McLaren managers, fans, drivers or anyone associated with Mclaren bashing Honda and Honda related people doing so to McLaren. But I don't understand why TR is joining this fight. McLaren didn't do anything to them and IMHO they just should ignore all this Honda-McLaren BS and do their own thing.

I liked them all these years and they were very nice team to watch. I hope they don't ruin that with things that don't concern them.

Big Tea

ivanlesk wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:53
HPD wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:
I can understand McLaren managers, fans, drivers or anyone associated with Mclaren bashing Honda and Honda related people doing so to McLaren. But I don't understand why TR is joining this fight. McLaren didn't do anything to them and IMHO they just should ignore all this Honda-McLaren BS and do their own thing.

I liked them all these years and they were very nice team to watch. I hope they don't ruin that with things that don't concern them.

But there is no bad publicity, just publicity.

Every element of this feud gets STR and indirectly RedBull mentioned.
I obviously cannot say for sure, but I would not mind betting that STR/RB do not mind it at all, especially when they are getting the clean end of the stick from it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

rogazilla
rogazilla

ivanlesk wrote:

I think this may speak well to the Honda and TR relationship. They are partner and a team now. In a sense where attacking Honda this season is the same as attacking TR because the team is Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda. I think it probably helps bonding the 2 sides. As for drivers, it gives the rookies driver some chips on their shoulder, a target on the track to beat.

That's just my personal opinion. I agree with HPD, I have liked McLaren for a long time although i am a bigger Honda fan, the problem is Zak and EB.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Big Tea wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:56
ivanlesk wrote:
HPD wrote:

But there is no bad publicity, just publicity.

Every element of this feud gets STR and indirectly RedBull mentioned.
I obviously cannot say for sure, but I would not mind betting that STR/RB do not mind it at all, especially when they are getting the clean end of the stick from it.
Agree with this, but don't like it. Just because it is not their fight.

rogazilla
rogazilla

To some degree you can say the TR/McLaren feud takes some of the spot light away from RBR's double DNF.

Didn't McLaren drag TR into this last year by sarcastically saying good luck with Honda PU when the switch was announced.

Maybe TR is taking jabs at McLaren because they feel they got jobbed by Renault at the end of last year (provoking Renault might not be a good idea due to RB). I wonder if some of that is coming into play. Both TR and Honda feel that they got the raw end of the deal in their relationships (right or wrong is not the point of this post) and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

HPD

ivanlesk wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 14:06
Agree with this, but don't like it. Just because it is not their fight.
Just imagine that they insult your girlfriend in front of you. His girlfriend (Honda) is very shy, unable to defend herself (because of her culture).

TR feels obligated to defend Honda. It's that easy.