2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

trinidefender wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 18:24
You need to seriously relax and maybe reread what I wrote. I never mentioned Honda, I was never bashing Honda. In fact many of the same people who bashed McLaren because of their own artificially raised hopes bashed Honda for the same reason. Journalists taking words out of context. Honda isn't with McLaren anymore, can we leave them alone (I admit I was sad to see them leave).
i need to seriously figure out why you people think iam mad :lol: :lol: iam fully relaxed :mrgreen:
i don't give a fly about Honda :lol: (well i used to be .. not any more).. they don't pay me money iam old enough to stand alone independently
iam here to know more technically, and for my own excitement the Honda project just got my curiosity since Mercedes dominance is utterly boring for me thats why i'd like them go with RBR because honestly i don't think Ferrari trend will continue
trinidefender wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 18:24
Journalists taking words out of context. Honda isn't with McLaren anymore, can we leave them alone (I admit I was sad to see them leave).
Secondly most of things you quoted aren't things that weren't quotes from McLaren. They are quotes from journalists who are doing exactly what I said they were doing. Artistic license is a hell of a thing. Look at an actual quote that diffuser posted above this. Far more measured isn't it?
well i went few layers deeper .. but you only see what your eyes want to see...
para bellum.

Chuckjr

Re: McLaren MCL33

I'm not saying any of this is going to happen, but if this is true...

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... for_Spain/

"After a tough start to the 2018 season despite the Honda era having ended, Spain’s Marca newspaper said the team may be preparing a ‘new chassis’ for the race in Barcelona next month.

Team boss Eric Boullier now confirms to Speed Week: “The 2018 car as we imagined it will be in Spain.

“In an ideal world, we would have had it for Australia but it was not possible. So we have used so far a development of the 2017 car,” revealed the Frenchman.

“We knew from the beginning that our options would be limited, although it has been frustrating, particularly in qualifying.”

Asked if the ‘B’ car will finally put McLaren where it wants to be, Boullier answered: “I’d rather promise less and deliver more.

“I’ve been in formula one long enough to say that we’ll drink champagne when we reach the podium.”"

And this is true...(don't miss the Honda part)

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _hp_boost/

"But Spain’s AS newspaper reports that a performance step is planned for the Canadian grand prix in June, although single units might be available by Monaco.

“According to informed sources, the improvement will be about 30 hp, and on a track like Canada, it would be about three tenths per lap,” said the report.

AS said the boost would bring Renault up to about 950 hp, while Mercedes and Ferrari are now nudging 1000.

Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul said: “If we follow our plan, it will be a while until the second power unit arrives but there will be an evolution of the ICE and also the fuel.”

AS also said Honda is planning an upgrade, with the Toro Rosso drivers to get a 40 hp boost in either Canada or France in June.

The report read: “According to rumours, Red Bull have told Honda that the condition of using their power unit next season is that it is equal to the Renault.”"

Then hopefully this will come true...(dare to dream)

http://www.marca.com/albumes/2011/11/14 ... ex_16.html
Watching F1 since 1986.

Andres125sx

marvin78 wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 09:12
Alonso said that he would win this year. But it was unclear what series he meant ;)
No it was perfectly clear he was NOT talking about F1, but some people enjoy taking things out of context to then build a proper strawman fallacy #-o

Andres125sx

loner wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 14:34
trinidefender wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 01:17
I see far more exaggeration of statements and quotes taken out of context on this forum than I do by McLaren. It seems some crap click bait journalist takes a vague statement, trumps it up, posts it on any random site, it gets posted here, gets trumped up even more and then doesn't come true....people proceed to whine and cry about McLaren over promising and under delivering.

Wash rinse repeat.
you need to read more then .. Mclaren are heavily deluded about how good their chassis
EB ON 22 MAY 2016
McLaren-Honda has a shot at outpacing Ferrari in Formula 1's Monaco Grand Prix due to a superior chassis, reckons its racing director Eric Boullier.
on 30 - 3 - 2018 EB said
So we are going to have another batch coming in Bahrain, which should have been in Australia.”
That new batch is set to include a new bargeboard update which is believed to be worth a few tenths.
so this update should've debuted in AUS but it was delayed and it was worthy of few tenths while we all saw how Mclaren fared in Bahrain
and EB said
McLaren racing director Eric Boullier says that the team’s definitive 2018 Formula 1 car will make its debut Barcelona in May, and the clear hope is that it will help to address the team’s lack of qualifying pace.

so the real slam shady oh sorry the real Mclaren car which will debute in Barcelona also should've been debuted in AUS
the car we’ll have in Barcelona should have been in Australia.

#-o
but when asked:
when McLaren would catch up from the impact of the testing problems, Boullier suggested it might be by May's Spanish Grand Prix, the fifth round of the season.
"I don't know but I would say the usual answer which is first European race," said Boullier. "It's the catch up point where you get back to where you should have been."
so master EB do you know or do you not know ??
and then he said
McLaren say they are struggling to understand why their car lacks pace this season - especially in qualifying.
do you have a clue or do you not have a clue ?
pushing for split a works deal + 100m$ to qualify 13 on the grid instead of affording a co operation and friendly work atmosphere for your PU manufacturer while never address your chassis flaws putting all the blame on the PU.

iam lazy to dig farther to give you alot more worthless quotes perhaps what i posted is enough for yo to know where is exaggeration comes from
1- 2016 quotes? Are you serious? Did you realize we´re in 2018?

2- Some people looks like not understanding media. They take anything media says as THE TRUTH, then, when it never becomes real they blame McLaren :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should learn differing between what media says, and what McLaren says. If you could learn to take with a pinch of salt even what McLaren says as they´re also concerned about their public image, then you will enjoy F1 a lot more, as they will always try to show theirselves a bit better than they really are.

This is not McLaren problem, this is modern world problem where public image is very important and sponsors provide the amounts of money they provide. Ferrari is always claming they will fight for the title, RBR always blame the PU because they would be winning titles otherwise.... nothing new or exclussive from Mclaren, it´s pretty standard in F1 or any other top sport :wink:

marvin78
marvin78

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 09:19
marvin78 wrote:
Alonso said that he would win this year. But it was unclear what series he meant ;)
No it was perfectly clear he was NOT talking about F1, but some people enjoy taking things out of context to then build a proper strawman fallacy #-o
Was it? Even if it was, he does not know. My point was that there is so much BS talk in and around F1 and nothing of that can be taken as an argument for anything. It's boring. This has nothing to do with Alonso. That man is only a racing driver like the others. It's just about this ridiculous discussion about McLaren, Honda, Renault and wo said what. Everybody who believes anything in this area can be called a fool.

Alonso Fan

marvin78 wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 09:33
Andres125sx wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 09:19
marvin78 wrote:
Was it? Even if it was, he does not know. My point was that there is so much BS talk in and around F1 and nothing of that can be taken as an argument for anything. It's boring. This has nothing to do with Alonso. That man is only a racing driver like the others. It's just about this ridiculous discussion about McLaren, Honda, Renault and wo said what. Everybody who believes anything in this area can be called a fool.
Yes it was very very clear. Clear as water. He said he'd win a race and when asked if he will win an f1 race he said we'll see that's clear as day.

He's bound to win in WEC at some point. He's driving for Toyota
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

marvin78
marvin78

And you missed the point, too. I don't care about Alonso, I don't care about any driver. It was only an example for the bullshit here and everywhere. From Alonso, from all the others and from most users here. You just missed it because the name Alonso was uses and red lights went on ;)

santos
santos

I'm just going to leave this words from Fernando and Zak Brown in december:

“We can see what Red Bull are doing with the Renault power unit,” said Alonso.
“Maybe they are not the quickest, but they are fighting for podiums and victories. That will be a very good step if we can achieve that.”
Direct comparisons with Red Bull are inevitable next year but team boss Zak Brown says McLaren have nothing to fear.
“Sometimes we would have been ahead of them, sometimes behind,” Brown told Sky F1 in Abu Dhabi ahead of the season-ending race.
“We have all the GPS data, we would have been right there with Red Bull. Our season would have looked like theirs.”

I think that we can conclude that they were talking about victories and podiums.

Alonso Fan

marvin78 wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:42
And you missed the point, too. I don't care about Alonso, I don't care about any driver. It was only an example for the bullshit here and everywhere. From Alonso, from all the others and from most users here. You just missed it because the name Alonso was uses and red lights went on ;)
No. You asked a question 'was it?' and I answered. I don't go off what you care about and what you don't. If I'm answering a question I go off what you're asking.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

santos wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:44

“Maybe they are not the quickest, but they are fighting for podiums and victories. That will be a very good step if we can achieve that.”
Direct comparisons with Red Bull are inevitable next year but team boss Zak Brown says McLaren have nothing to fear.
“Sometimes we would have been ahead of them, sometimes behind,” Brown told Sky F1 in Abu Dhabi ahead of the season-ending race.
“We have all the GPS data, we would have been right there with Red Bull. Our season would have looked like theirs.”

I think that we can conclude that they were talking about victories and podiums.
For the record I do agree they hyped up themselves and also I agree that the media took the bait and exaggerated. But I also note that they were (I assume) referring to the car that hasn't arrived yet. I don't honestly think even they expected to be where they are now
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

santos wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:44

Yep they did, in context of 2017 way more DEVELPED chassis.
And underdeveloped 2018 chassis (current one, used in AUS, BAH, CHI) is not event remotely comparable to RB's.
All teams excluding TR and MC had whole preseason to focus on chassis.

techman
techman

An example of a team over promising and under delivering. i believe people generally respect teams that under promise but over deliver.

EB is said to have said this mcl33 is an evolution of last year , so since they believed their last year is a winner this evolution they brought now should have been even better but looking at their pace compared to RB , its like night and day.
Last edited by techman on 19 Apr 2018, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

techman wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:07
An example of a team over promising and under delivering. i believe people generally respect teams that under promise but over deliver.

EB is said to have said this mcl33 is an evolution of last year , so since they believed their last year of a winner this evolution they brought now should have been even better but looking at their pace compared to RB , its like night and day.
It was NOT prediction for 2018, it was comparison between 2017 MC and RB chassis?
C'mon guys it is becoming really annoying and difficult to read this threads.

Everyone in F1 talks a lot of things just to get a little of media and fans attention. We should be better than this.

EDIT: since you edited your post, I will mine also.
If you see this McLaren chassis as fully developed one and clear successor of last years then you clearly again don't know what you are talking about.

Have you ever brought any technical and factual thing to any conversation with good faith?

GoranF1
GoranF1

What they were saying last year about the chassis was true....i dont know why people think last years chassis being good is a lie just because this year's chassis isn't. They didnt do good enough job over the winter but last years car was really good.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Alonso Fan

techman wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:07

EB is said to have said this mcl33 is an evolution of last year , so since they believed their last year is a winner this evolution they brought now should have been even better but looking at their pace compared to RB , its like night and day.
Now where does the quote mention anything about 2018. In 2017 they could have had a red bull comparable chassis. We probably won't know for sure.

But for 2018 you can see clearly other teams have clear development but mclaren practically still has last years car. Your quote doesn't have any weight in this context. It's just like if I got a quote from 2012 and claimed they said they had the best car.

Look at the more recent quotes. They are much more reserved and realistic. Because they apply to this year.
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 19 Apr 2018, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord