2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

zeph wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 18:33
Can any of our Spanish-speaking friends here help translate this? Supposedly says Alonso will be replaced by Norris at the end of the season.

https://www.diariogol.com/motor/fernand ... 3_102.html

Google translate not nailing this. Is it just clickbait or what?
Diario gol is extremely unreliable, they always have sensational stories, which usually end up being wide off the mark.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

zoroastar

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 13:34
I think there are 2 different ways to approach PU usage this year.

Go for maximum power and accept that you're going to get hit with penalties later in the season, which may be what RBR are doing as they want to fight for wins, or run the PU conservatively and hope to get consistent points finishes and maybe pick up some places later in the season when others have penalties.

The latter approach would also means that you have more flexibility if your PU supplier releases an updated PU with more power etc as, if you have already used all of your allocation, then you have to take a penalty to get the improved PU.

I think Mclaren are running their PU conservatively at the moment while they get their car where they want it, which will help them later in the season when Renault, hopefully, brings more power and reliability to the PU's.
with the past 3 years i dont think mclaren wanted any more questions made about whether they made the right choice switching engine suppliers. if they ran it "hot" and ended up blowing a couple of power units the press would have had a field day. i think they are being very conservative until they have a few more miles under their belt. hopefully between spain updates and the second power unit they will make a bit more headway than the others.

adrianjordan

Alonso Fan wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 18:37
zeph wrote:
Can any of our Spanish-speaking friends here help translate this? Supposedly says Alonso will be replaced by Norris at the end of the season.

It's click bait. It appeared on the Racefans round up a couple of days ago. People in the comments said its an extremely unreliable source
What amazes me most is that BBC Sport picked it up and ran it in their Gossip section..!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Andres125sx

zeph wrote:

From that link...
El piloto asturiano, igual que ocurriera en Mercedes y Ferrari, habrá trabajado incansablemente para devolver a una escudería por la senda de la victoria y tendrá que ver como otros recogen las mieles del éxito.
I must have missed that period when Alonso worked for Mercedes :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can see how reliable is diariogol when they don´t even know the teams Alonso has worked for #-o

Joseki
Joseki

zeph wrote:

At one points they wrote that the shareholders are unhappy with Alonso's performances because he didn't score a podium in the 3 years of the McLaren Honda partnership.

I think that's enough said.

Vasconia

Alonso Fan wrote:
zeph wrote:

It's click bait. It appeared on the Racefans round up a couple of days ago. People in the comments said its an extremely unreliable source
Its a painful read if you like serious and reliable articles. #-o

zeph
zeph

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 02:06
Alonso Fan wrote:
zeph wrote:

What amazes me most is that BBC Sport picked it up and ran it in their Gossip section..!!
That is how I found it. I guess proper F1 journalism is no longer a priority at the BBC. Hardly surprising, what with a tabloid-jockey like Andrew Benson at the helm.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I read on the Renault thread about the works team planned chassis upgrades for Baku, centered around a low DF requirements, bargeboards and wings. I wonder if we'll see anything along that line from Mclaren, there were no specifics in their race preview.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Nuvolari

So, how do we think the car will go in Baku? Is it Q3 material here? Lots of corners between 90-120 km/h, but good that they don't go on for long. :D

Traction seemed alright in China.

McHonda
McHonda

Painful. Renault will increase their gap to us and FI may pass us too. STR I'm unsure, their lower d/f package in Bahrain was pretty sweet after all.

It'll hurt until Spain, we know that, and this one might be the worst so far.

Macklaren
Macklaren

I think Merc teams will be stronger than they have been so far but Mclaren will be in much better position than the pasts years without being hamstrung by the engine on the long straight. Question will be whether they have spent the last two weeks coming up with a solution for qualifying and a low DF package. Also high likelihood of a safety car here and if we can play the strategy game right with pitstop timing, a top 5 is not out of the question.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 16:05
I read on the Renault thread about the works team planned chassis upgrades for Baku, centered around a low DF requirements, bargeboards and wings. I wonder if we'll see anything along that line from Mclaren, there were no specifics in their race preview.
I doubt they'll be spending any money on a car that's outdated.

mrluke
mrluke

Nuvolari wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 18:15
So, how do we think the car will go in Baku? Is it Q3 material here? Lots of corners between 90-120 km/h, but good that they don't go on for long. :D

Traction seemed alright in China.
Between 2.5% and 3.0% slower than the pole time :wink:

techman
techman

do you believe mclaren renault can finish 4th end of the season?

diffuser

I believe they can, but "will they" is something all together different. Example Ferrari could have won drivers and constructor in 2017 but didn't.