Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Zynerji wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 14:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 20:49
stevesingo wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 17:43

Could be useful in controlling wheel spin.
Would that not be illegal?
I wouldn't think so as it is directly under the drivers control.
Yes it would:
5.5 Power unit torque demand :
5.5.1 The only means by which the driver may control acceleration torque to the driven wheels is
via a single foot (accelerator) pedal mounted inside the survival cell.
5.5.2 Designs which allow specific points along the accelerator pedal travel range to be identified by
the driver or assist him to hold a position are not permitted.
5.5.3 At any given engine speed the driver torque demand map must be monotonically increasing for an increase in accelerator pedal position.
5.5.4 At any given accelerator pedal position and above 4,000rpm, the driver torque demand map must not have a gradient of less than – (minus) 0.045Nm/rpm.

Vanja #66

Zynerji wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 14:23
NathanOlder wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 13:30
Ferrari car being looked at by the FIA.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2381 ... 18-ferrari
more horse ---. Its an open formula with strict rules, and many enforced rules that were never rules in the first place...

Blowing engine maps are unacceptable? Too f#ck1ng bad.
If the original source of news for Marca is true, then this is to prevent wing-blowing before it escalates. Ferrari exhaust isn't positioned to help with this at all, so they were probably just testing this system and/or testing FIA itself. Again, if the original source of this news is credible in the first place.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CriXus
CriXus

I am not sure what is so strange with Ferrari's sound. They just open the wastegate on the way out of turns. You could clearly hear it in the Barcelona test.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Why would they open the wastegate when they're accelerating out of a corner? Unless it's to limit power at the wheels, which would be traction control.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 16:50
Why would they open the wastegate when they're accelerating out of a corner? Unless it's to limit power at the wheels, which would be traction control.
A couple of reasons, perhaps they get enough energy in blowdown that they can open the gates and still harvest, or maybe it's to get a nice big push out of the corners.
Saishū kōnā

CriXus
CriXus

Just_a_fan wrote:
I don't know i am not an expert. It's not only Ferrari, you can hear it here.

And here is the Ferrari one from this year Barcelona test.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

You’re right, to me it sounds identical to other cars, opening in almost identical locations. At the moment it seems like a witch hunt. The presumption that they must be doing something illegal as they are performing well... a little unfair really.

IamLegend
IamLegend

CriXus wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 17:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
I don't know i am not an expert. It's not only Ferrari, you can hear it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHsM63dH-yE
And here is the Ferrari one from this year Barcelona test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW91_eqQRR0&t=60s
Any chance it's related to this lever on the steering wheel?

MtthsMlw

IamLegend wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 18:04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTPK-HsPHts
No (99% sure)

ian_s

IamLegend wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 18:04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTPK-HsPHts
thats just vettels variable rate drink supply. that just happens to direct his drink into the air intake for pseudo water injection

Big Tea

Is it 'allowed' to alter brake balance from side to side?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

daniellammers
daniellammers

Big Tea wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 21:47
Is it 'allowed' to alter brake balance from side to side?
No, only front/rear
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

basti313
basti313

But I think it would be enough to have some change or offset possibility in a corner. During braking the aero balance shifts slightly front to back, so it would make sense to alter the brake balance while braking. Before accelerating the BB is well backwards to straighten the car.
This is also the only thing that would be totally ok with the rules. And we know from the blown diffusor time, that Vettel is well capable of playing with such toys while braking.
Don`t russel the hamster!

santos
santos

so many questions about a lever... Kimi doesn't have it, does his car performs worse than Vettel's?

f1316
f1316

santos wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 10:55
so many questions about a lever... Kimi doesn't have it, does his car performs worse than Vettel's?
Right, I’ve been thinking the same all along - if it was anything more than a driver preference, both cars would have it.