McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: McLaren MCL33

godlameroso wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:17
Yes duct the air coming through the nose and speed it up so that it exits as a jet near the diffuser, maybe to add energy to any vortecies interacting with the rear wheel to limit it's effect on squirt. Or maybe to help with places that are prone to flow separation.
The problem is you can't speed it up indefinitely and you'd have big losses due to surface friction and boundary layer. To keep the same pressure in a closed system you need a pump, also if you want a strong jet at the end of a long duct/pipe. In an open system, that's not possible obviously :) Your duct would get choked most likely.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PhillipM
PhillipM

I'll say one thing for Mclaren, they're never afraid to try new concepts, they don't always work, they often get ridiculed, but at least they have the guts to try them.

M840TR
M840TR

Notice the absence of an S-duct to probably channel all air towards the bargeboards

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Very interesting nose!

That will improve downforce by a hefty amount of points, looking at the amount of (horizontal) surface on it, and the clever way of using 'ducting' surely will heavily improve flow all the way to the back too, which will further improve the car's aerodynamics. Also looking at the as it seems improved bodywork (slimmed down) there's more area to use for aerodynamic purposes - seems like the renault engine needs less cooling, or at the very least, Mclaren now dares to slim down as they trust it won't have similar overheating issues as in testing.

i wouldn't be surprised that the engine updates from Renault after the testing, AND the improved fuels that will bring more power will have much benefits for the overall package.

Pretty good amount of updates there, AND the mirrors are still the same as before, i'm wondering/expecting really that there will be change there too, a-la Ferrari.

This car might develop into something very interesting during the season. Very curious to see what it will actually do on track.

Very positive vibes right now, about time :)
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

restless
restless

My "bad vibes" are coming from Tim Goss - fired because was against this design.

DiogoBrand

I'm hoping there to be some more changes to come. They said their whole aero package depended on the new nose, and given how radical their new nose is I believe them, but their Front Wing, Bargeboards and sidepods are pretty much untouched. I don't think it counts as a "whole aero package" when you only change the nose, turning vanes, sidepod conditioners and engine cover.

PhillipM
PhillipM

And new floor/diffuser.

But they already said they have more parts to try that might wait until the mid-week test, depending how things go tommorow.

makecry
makecry

PhillipM wrote:
10 May 2018, 23:14
And new floor/diffuser.

But they already said they have more parts to try that might wait until the mid-week test, depending how things go tommorow.
Did they? You got a link? I wanna read what they have to say about the whole thing!

Edax
Edax

DiogoBrand wrote:
10 May 2018, 23:08
I'm hoping there to be some more changes to come. They said their whole aero package depended on the new nose, and given how radical their new nose is I believe them, but their Front Wing, Bargeboards and sidepods are pretty much untouched. I don't think it counts as a "whole aero package" when you only change the nose, turning vanes, sidepod conditioners and engine cover.
I hope they are able to improve the suspension. I haven’t been able to see the 2018 car in person yet but the last few years the cars looked much less compliant and stable than RB ferrari and Merc. You can have great aero, but if the car is bouning around in every heavy braking zone then it will not yield you as much.

DiogoBrand

PhillipM wrote:
And new floor/diffuser.

There's that as well, but I think the Front Wing and Bargeboards are some of the most important surfaces to guide air around the car, that's why I'd find it weird for them to not change those. As well as the sidepods that are a bit on the bigger side if compared to Renault and RBR.

godlameroso

DiogoBrand wrote:
10 May 2018, 23:31
PhillipM wrote:
And new floor/diffuser.

There's that as well, but I think the Front Wing and Bargeboards are some of the most important surfaces to guide air around the car, that's why I'd find it weird for them to not change those. As well as the sidepods that are a bit on the bigger side if compared to Renault and RBR.
I see a lot of detail changes in that area, particularly the area that meets the sidepod endplates.
Saishū kōnā

gibells
gibells

In Newey's autobiography he said PP had a very methodical approach to problem solving. Extrapolating into this circumstance leads me to think that when you change one set of variables without keeping anything relatively constant the parameters shift too much. Keeping FW and RW's will at least gives him the data to compare against.

Xero

Xero wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 12:16
It's hard to think how it could be different to anything we've seen so far. Perhaps a long vertical slot up through the middle of the nose? We know it went through rigorous crash testing, so it must be pushing boundaries.
I wasn't far off! :lol:

The basic nose itself looks similar to Mercedes, and explains why they had issues through the crash tests, as Mercedes did when they first introduced their version. The cape will give them a mighty front end, so hopefully the rest of car behaves enough to give them good balance. Could take a few races to understand this new direction, so not expecting an immediate big jump.

It's big, bold and striking! Looks fantastic!

flmkane
flmkane

Pardon me if I'm way wrong. Fluid dynamics is not my forte.

However, the sidepod shape looks like those coanda exhaust Red Bulls from 2012 and 2013.

Plus the vortex generators seem to be directing a big vortex down the sidepod to the edge of the diffuser.

Can a more educated person confirm or deny my suspicions?

PhillipM
PhillipM

They do turn the airflow down and under the rear sidepod exhausts, yes.