2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Bill_Kar wrote:
12 May 2018, 17:13
OMG, really? No one in F1 paddocks is talking about tyres, not even CHRISTIAN HORNER, but the Red trolls are making such a fuzz? It's only one pole, mates. Chill.
exactly :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

F1Krof wrote:
12 May 2018, 17:50
Pole lap from 2014 was 1:25.232... almost 10 seconds slower.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1twrnq
It's like a warm up lap from today. So slow in the corners... :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

F1Krof wrote:
12 May 2018, 17:50
Pole lap from 2014 was 1:25.232... almost 10 seconds slower.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1twrnq
Pole lap from 2014 is slower than full fuel race pace of these cars.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

If the rain continues through the morning tomorrow, we may start on a damp track and on inters. It's only possible because the cloud cover and brisk temperatures may keep the circuit wet until the race starts. Then again the rain may be light and with the strong wind perhaps it dries the track. Speaking of wind it will be blowing east or north east which means cross wind down the main straight, tail wind down the back straight and through 9. Strong crosswind through most of sector 3 but a head wind after the hair pin. Head wind through 1, 2, & 3.
Saishū kōnā

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

It was really crucial that Alonso doesn't start on S. Plus, with such low top speed, it won't be much of a problem for others to overtake him. Let's just hope SS won't fall off really fast, because there must be some pace there. If he manages to just hang on on first stint, everything else is going to be fine,

nirvaand
nirvaand

Bill_Kar wrote:
12 May 2018, 18:35
It was really crucial that Alonso doesn't start on S. Plus, with such low top speed, it won't be much of a problem for others to overtake him. Let's just hope SS won't fall off really fast, because there must be some pace there. If he manages to just hang on on first stint, everything else is going to be fine,
Considering the track isn't wet, he should get a better launch off the line with a softer compound of tire, so that could also play a factor. And I don't think the top speed is going to be a problem in the race, they have a very quick race car, I expect them to easily defend from any midfield team behind.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

A rain start would be at least helpful. I guess Alonso will be the only car on the whole grid starting with SuperSofts and that may compromise the race. I wonder why they did that, probably they were afraid that they wouldn't make it in Q3 otherwise, but soft was the tire they were the quickest (even in Q3).

Phil

GPR-A wrote:
12 May 2018, 17:08
They [Ferrari] realized that their car isn't behaving well in SS and went for S, whereas Mercedes realized their car works well on SS and went with that for Q3!
Actually, i think the general opinion was that all cars were faster on the S than the SS. Certainly the Mercedes too, and Toto did allude to it in a post-race interview with ORF. I am more amazed that Mercedes got to save an extra set of Softs, while Ferrari used theirs for a second attempt in Q3 and no one here picked up on that.

Had Mercedes used the soft for their Q3 run, i’m quite sure they’d have been even quicker. Even so, they could just hang on to the front-row. I think some of it is down to their first run in Q3 when Hamilton had a huge gap and perhaps they felt they had enough in hand.

Anyway, i think Mercedes is brilliantly set up for a win tomorrow. If i am not mistaken, they have an extra set of Softs (new) while i think Ferrari dont. Many are predicting a one-stop, but if it does turn out to be a two stop race, having an extra set of softs should come in handy.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

godlameroso

Phil wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:02
GPR-A wrote:
12 May 2018, 17:08
They [Ferrari] realized that their car isn't behaving well in SS and went for S, whereas Mercedes realized their car works well on SS and went with that for Q3!
Actually, i think the general opinion was that all cars were faster on the S than the SS. Certainly the Mercedes too, and Toto did allude to it in a post-race interview with ORF. I am more amazed that Mercedes got to save an extra set of Softs, while Ferrari used theirs for a second attempt in Q3 and no one here picked up on that.

Had Mercedes used the soft for their Q3 run, i’m quite sure they’d have been even quicker. Even so, they could just hang on to the front-row. I think some of it is down to their first run in Q3 when Hamilton had a huge gap and perhaps they felt they had enough in hand.

Anyway, i think Mercedes is brilliantly set up for a win tomorrow. If i am not mistaken, they have an extra set of Softs (new) while i think Ferrari dont. Many are predicting a one-stop, but if it does turn out to be a two stop race, having an extra set of softs should come in handy.
No way it's a one stop, 2 stop is likely fastest.
Saishū kōnā

Phil

On the ORF broadcast, they were alluding that a one-stop could be likely. Track position is key as overtaking is extremely difficult. Anyway, a two stop is good news for Mercedes as they have an extra set of unused softs for the race i believe.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sieper

I believe everybody will go from yellow to White. If even only one does it the others will have to follow. There is no overtaking here.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:30
There is no overtaking here.
That's a terrible indictment of the state of the sport, isn't it? :(
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:34
Sieper wrote:
There is no overtaking here.
That's a terrible indictment of the state of the sport, isn't it? :(
Yes. These cars have so much more grip, so much more speed, helas also so much more disturbed air. The pre regulation change (2016) cars and their grip now suddenly looks like rollerskates. But the racing was better.

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
I believe everybody will go from yellow to White. If even only one does it the others will have to follow. There is no overtaking here.
The DRS zone has been extended this year so fingers crossed we see more overtaking.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zibby43
zibby43

Why has literally everyone whining about the tires forgotten about Red Bull's 50% claim to the tires being changed for 3 races due to blistering concerns?

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/10/vet ... -red-bull/

Oh, right, because that doesn't fit any of the conspiracy theory narratives.