2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

People should quitt the tire whining. This decision dates back a long time and was down to the heavy blistering that could be potentially dangerous. It’s only going to be at 3 tracks anyway.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sieper

It suits Mercedes most I guess, now get over it, decision is taken, race on. F1 has always Been like this.

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:51
Sieper wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:30
I believe everybody will go from yellow to White. If even only one does it the others will have to follow. There is no overtaking here.
The DRS zone has been extended this year so fingers crossed we see more overtaking.
That might help indeed, allthough it is a bit off shame it has to be DRS or nothing.

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Sieper wrote:
12 May 2018, 20:08
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:51
Sieper wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:30
I believe everybody will go from yellow to White. If even only one does it the others will have to follow. There is no overtaking here.
The DRS zone has been extended this year so fingers crossed we see more overtaking.
That might help indeed, allthough it is a bit off shame it has to be DRS or nothing.
If possible can you give me some evidence that the DRS have been extended this year. It was already extended last year so as far as I know it has not been extending again.

zibby43
zibby43

Phil wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:58
People should quitt the tire whining. This decision dates back a long time and was down to the heavy blistering that could be potentially dangerous. It’s only going to be at 3 tracks anyway.
Exactly. I cringe every time I see one of the temper tantrums.

It's as if Mercedes' imperious pace at Barcelona pre-season, and their dominating form in Australia, never existed.

And that it's impossible for the reigning champions to improve their car after a few off performances in qualifying.

falonso81

Ideally the race will be a borefest. Luckily we have Verstappen :twisted:

Steven
Owner

I would love to see Raikkonen win one. It has been in the air for quite some time now.

Also, so far, it looks like very few teams have actually made progress in the field. McLaren and Renault still borderline top 10. Same people at the front.

Note though that this isn't really a power sensitive circuit like all in the recent races.

Then again, this was just quali 😉

Sieper

But it is Steven, especially in qualy as with these new cars several turns are flat out on low fuel and shred the tires mode.

Wynters
Wynters

Phil wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:02
I am more amazed that Mercedes got to save an extra set of Softs, while Ferrari used theirs for a second attempt in Q3 and no one here picked up on that.
Wynters wrote:
12 May 2018, 16:54
Also surprised people were messing about on Softs on the last Q3 run...Whilst I expect S/M as the strategy if there is one thing this season has proved it's that it's foolish not to have an option in the event of a safety car.
8)

Phil

Ok, credit where it us due, nice one Wynters :P

But yeah, i think the tire situation will be interesting. Obviously Mercedes, knowing their struggles with the softest tire, came here with a more balanced allocation. Ferrari brought quite a few SSs, and Williams went all in - the tire all teams struggled with.

Qualifying was lucky for most due to the much lower surface temperatures.

Tomorrow, i think most will try either S-M or S-M-S.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Comparison of Hamilton's and Bottas's laps.
https://youtu.be/m12TeRcw8-A
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Monster Hesh
Monster Hesh

Science, what on Earth is wrong with the audio in that comparison video?! It sounds sodding awful. How have they not fixed that yet. Are they really still trying to artificially alter its pitch to make it sound more like the obsolete V8 era? These engines sound brilliant, embrace them. It took three races to rid the stupid V8 sound effect on the screen wipe. Owners and publishers of this sport have completely lost it, its presented in the most disgusting way.

iotar__

Fede90 wrote:
12 May 2018, 21:49
Is this a sport? Can u call F1 a fair sport? I don't think so. When Mercedes have some trouble with the car and the can't dominate all races, here he comes Pirelli just to fix the problem. New tyre and always will be ok. Ridiculous
- Are you serious? Tyre modifications were planned earlier (nothing to do with Mercedes being behind) and for specific 3 tracks. They were not meant to help them. Guess about reasons: material world :) (something happened to the tyres and they corrected it), marketing (visible and headlines part) and safety.

- Do you think it gave them +0,1 s and pole in Spain (or 0,2 or 0,3 theoretically)? It should point out to the contrary, Ferrari were fine here. We'll see tomorrow about race pace.
- Just because graining was visible on Merc doesn't mean tyres work on their car in some different magical way, BTW it's the same car that has to work on all remaining tracks and "regular" tyres (same for other teams). Did it affect dynamic between any other teams? It didn't.

Anyway: another GP another empty RB hype bubble, not refundable of course. Unless engine impact here is 0,43 best chassis is not the best.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Monster Hesh wrote:
12 May 2018, 22:19
Science, what on Earth is wrong with the audio in that comparison video?! It sounds sodding awful. How have they not fixed that yet. Are they really still trying to artificially alter its pitch to make it sound more like the obsolete V8 era? These engines sound brilliant, embrace them. It took three races to rid the stupid V8 sound effect on the screen wipe. Owners and publishers of this sport have completely lost it, its presented in the most disgusting way.

AGREE!!!! Especially turbos are like jet engines. Love the Ferrari's sound.

zibby43
zibby43

iotar__ wrote:
12 May 2018, 22:25
Are you serious? Tyre modifications were planned earlier (nothing to do with Mercedes being behind) and for specific 3 tracks. They were not meant to help them. Guess about reasons: material world :) (something happened to the tyres and they corrected it), marketing (visible and headlines part) and safety.
Well said.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13598 ... --mercedes

Wolff was asked about rival teams allegedly suggesting the change, which will also apply at the resurfaced Silverstone and Paul Ricard circuits, was made to help Mercedes as the German manufacturer suffered more than most in testing.

Toto Wolff:

"Is bollocks a bad word in English? Rubbish. All teams had blistering, very heavy blistering at the test in Barcelona.

Red Bull, Ferrari, ourselves. McLaren have seen it I think also. The tyres wouldn't have lasted in the race.

Pirelli changed the thickness of the tyre to prevent blistering, and they've been successful at preventing the blistering because we haven't see it on any car today."