2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

PlatinumZealot

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

godlameroso wrote:
13 May 2018, 03:10
It's not ideal but I would wager the super soft is probably good for 10-12 laps, if I were Alonso I'd be banking on a 2 stopper. 12 laps on the SS then two 27 lap stints on the mediums.
His car is not fast enough to build a gap to fall into after he pits. A two stop plan is suicide for him! The suspersofts are not bad at accelerating out of corners. Watch the Verstappen Ricciardo side by side. Max clearly had better acceleration up to sector three where his tyres start to lose it. Alonso must take full advantage of this on the first lap!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

So by cutting the thread down Pirelli has made harder tyres that reach the cliff faster? Better for the show?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

GoranF1
GoranF1

Weather update?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2018, 06:57
So by cutting the thread down Pirelli has made harder tyres that reach the cliff faster? Better for the show?
The tread reduction was designed to protect against excessive blistering. Pirelli didn't think the "regular" compound tires would survive the race.

Why did Pirelli have this concern? A: In testing, several teams (including both Mercedes and Red Bull) were overheating the tires on the new, smooth track surface. Because the surface wasn't abrasive, there was very little degradation, so the tires just ended up getting overheated/cooked (and subsequently, excessively blistered).

Virtually all the teams experienced the blistering in testing, including Ferrari. Some worse than others.

GPR-A duplicate2

zibby43 wrote:
13 May 2018, 07:41
PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2018, 06:57
The tread reduction was designed to protect against excessive blistering. Pirelli didn't think the "regular" compound tires would survive the race.

Why did Pirelli have this concern? A: In testing, several teams (including both Mercedes and Red Bull) were overheating the tires on the new, smooth track surface. Because the surface wasn't abrasive, there was very little degradation, so the tires just ended up getting overheated/cooked (and subsequently, excessively blistered).

Virtually all the teams experienced the blistering in testing, including Ferrari. Some worse than others.
Don't try to be smart and make sense. OK? If the Ferrari boys says PIRELLI favored Mercedes, then that is the truth. Take it and sit tight.

Morteza

Remaining tires for each driver
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43
zibby43

GPR-A wrote:
13 May 2018, 07:49
Don't try to be smart and make sense. OK? If the Ferrari boys says PIRELLI favored Mercedes, then that is the truth. Take it and sit tight.
lol! I know, right? Thank you for the good chuckle my friend.

I still remember all the tire photos from preseason testing. Red Bull's blistering was particularly concerning. Even Marko commented on it (although he tried to downplay it a bit).

As the data continues to accumulate, and we head into the heart of the European season, Mercedes will continue to understand all of the tires and how to optimize their setups accordingly

The W08's early season tire woes last year were much worse; that car ate through rears like butter in race trim. The W09, on the other hand, has been much gentler on the tires in race trim this year. That's really helped Merc from not only a pace perspective, but a strategy perspective as well (Bottas has had some quality stints lately).

If Merc can continue the trend of keeping the tires in the window over the course of a single lap in quali, the car's development curve will accelerate. Could be in for one hell of a championship this year.

Tom145145
Tom145145

Pirelli most likely didn’t want a repeat of the early tyre issues they experienced or a 2005 USA GP where only a few cars could run. I surpose it would have been the other side upset if that was the case. But at least in this scenario everyone has had time to set up and develope the car for the race and everyone has a chance to race. The points are handed out today, so Ferrari could still be on top.
I was at the track Friday and Saturday and the Ferrari was a proper hand-full for both drivers on Friday, I think they came here with the wrong setup. They must have worked hard overnight to jump the Red Bulls, I just think the Merc’s where just out of reach. I also think Merc played some games in qualifying, by hiding some pace until Q3, also they sent Hamilton out in Q2 on the SS just in case but he was also getting his eye in for Q3. I can understand the frustration from the Ferrari fans, but I think this was Pirelli doing what’s best for themselves rather than a conspiracy. Pirelli get on the top step of the podium whatever they do.

Bisonas

If it doesn't rain, it will be very very crucial to pass MAG on the start.
The only way to make it work is use the early SS advantage and some of his magic to pass him. Then Alonso has the choice to go for a 2 stopper BUT ONLY if he has a REALLY GOOD pace(Doing a 2 stopper in a 1 stop track that you can't overtake is not smart) .Else he can hold the pack behind him, delay them all, manage the SS as good as possible, be fast where it matters and slower where they can't pass him, and try to extend the stint as much as he cans, before he pits.

If by lap3 MAG is still ahead the race will be really hard. He will have to follow, the tires will probably be destroyed a lot sooner, he will pit first, and he will end up again in trafic behind the slow soft runners.
Its not easy to pass here, even if you are a lot faster. It will be really frustrating for him and for us.
Lets hope he gets ahead of MAG in lap1.
Last edited by Bisonas on 13 May 2018, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

dp12
dp12

Alonso is a god when it comes to starts and that extra grip will help+ the McLaren is very good in terms of race pace

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Certainly a jump in Quali performance if this continues over to next race. Race pace always good so anything can happen especially on lap 1. Scary the gap from 7th to 6th though, nobody gonna get close to the big 3 teams this year.

That new nose is spectacular.

McLarens ambition to compete at the top is there but I genuinely don't think they can do it now. Just not got the budget and staffing level.

And yes.....we go round in circles in this thread but then, shows how many folk want McLaren to do well. Got the fan base for sure.

Phil

Morteza wrote:
13 May 2018, 08:08
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdA6pxeXcAEGzej.jpg:large
Excellent, i’ve been waiting for this. thanks for posting.

May i ask, on what website is this info posted?

As i figured: Ferrari used their last set of new softs for their second Q3 lap. Mercedes can easily do a S-M-(S), Ferrari might have to revert to a new SS or M or used S if they stop twice.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Morteza

Phil wrote:
13 May 2018, 10:09
Morteza wrote:

As i figured: Ferrari used their last set of new softs for their second Q3 lap. Mercedes can easily do a S-M-(S), Ferrari might have to revert to a new SS or M or used S if they stop twice.
Pirelli Motorsport posts them on Twitter after each qualifying. There is also more information to be found in the link they provide.
[media]https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 0861739008[/media]
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ripper
ripper

Phil wrote:
13 May 2018, 10:09
Morteza wrote:

Is there a so great difference between an used S and an unused one?