2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
shingles
shingles

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Nova wrote:No one driving full speed, so impossible to say anything about the relative speed of TR.
What? I guess they were out for a Sunday drive today...

Marti_EF3

That was an awesome drive from Gasly today! Hartley was doing good too even with a damaged front wing, but Leclerc take him out due a brake failure...

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that STR is finally understanding their car and the chassis is going on the right direction... Even with Hulkenberg going with Hypersoft, Gasly had more exit corner speed, so Honda seems to be doing well too...

Soichiro
Soichiro

Very good race. Have to be happy with the outcome although in could have been better too.

Joke: Alonso rather parks (or pits - Bahrain) than gets passed by a Honda powered car :D

etusch

Soichiro wrote:
27 May 2018, 17:28
Very good race. Have to be happy with the outcome although in could have been better too.

Joke: Alonso rather parks (or pits - Bahrain) than gets passed by a Honda powered car :D
I would take screenshot that a Toro Rosso passes when a mclaren retiring. Isn't it a meaningfull scene ? (Whatever I think that departure were good for both Honda and Mclaren )
I am very happy with the result but I can't stop thinking about what would be if Gasly could qualify a bit better. He almost always blocked by a slower driver during the race.

etusch

Ground Effect wrote:
27 May 2018, 17:19
If Hartley didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all... It can't continue like this, his luck will change. But on the average, he had a decent weekend, but not when it counted the most. But his general performance around the streets of Monaco was very encouraging.
I also expect that his chance will get better after geting end of this much deep of unluckiness. For now he is some kind of accident magnet.

Sayeman

Good race. let's hope they bring a decent upgrade in Canada otherwise might get left behind by renault.
Never Give up.

loner

etusch wrote:
27 May 2018, 17:39
I would take screenshot that a Toro Rosso passes when a mclaren retiring. Isn't it a meaningfull scene ? (Whatever I think that departure were good for both Honda and Mclaren )
I am very happy with the result but I can't stop thinking about what would be if Gasly could qualify a bit better. He almost always blocked by a slower driver during the race.
no you NOT .. don't act like them cheering their driver passing Vettel in a damaged Ferrari :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
para bellum.

Nova
Nova

shingles wrote:
Nova wrote:No one driving full speed, so impossible to say anything about the relative speed of TR.
Yes, the pace was slow, the leaders were slow, so at times backmarkers were the fastest on track, because they had a clear way in front of them. It zig zagged all the way through. What the true pace of each car were, is not clear.

Soichiro
Soichiro

Nova wrote:
27 May 2018, 19:33
shingles wrote:
Yes, the pace was slow, the leaders were slow, so at times backmarkers were the fastest on track, because they had a clear way in front of them. It zig zagged all the way through. What the true pace of each car were, is not clear.
Same for most of the cars out there. It was about managing tyres. They could have stayed out for longer like Gasly and profit, but didn't/couldn't obviously.

McMika98
McMika98

Canada is going to be interesting with the hypersoft tyres. The car seems to favour the softest compound, should be able to one stop there as well. Hope the new engine on Gasly comes with extra power, points again.

Revs84
Revs84

Since you're mentioning new engine, I've been wondering why most people, including commentators, have been saying that Canada is the point when the teams should bring their second set of components, in order to comply with the regulations.

However, in order to stick with the regulations of 1 engine, turbo and mgu-h per 7 races, wouldn't the natural timing to bring them be France? That is, unless they plan to keep the old components in the pool. Even if so, why would they go back to old components when they have new specs available, unless they do so in a non-power sensitive track such as the Hungaroring or Singapore?

With the Toro Rosso drivers already taking new components in Bahrain and a PU change for Hartley due to the crash in Barcelona, they are inevitably set for penalties, however, Tanabe says they will still stick to their original plan.

This makes me think that as most suspected, Honda have indeed planned strategic penalties for a fourth set of components, regardless of any unplanned component changes along the way. It also seems to me like they're not the only team.

What are your thoughts on this?

etusch

Revs84 wrote:
27 May 2018, 21:34
Since you're mentioning new engine, I've been wondering why most people, including commentators, have been saying that Canada is the point when the teams should bring their second set of components, in order to comply with the regulations.

However, in order to stick with the regulations of 1 engine, turbo and mgu-h per 7 races, wouldn't the natural timing to bring them be France? That is, unless they plan to keep the old components in the pool. Even if so, why would they go back to old components when they have new specs available, unless they do so in a non-power sensitive track such as the Hungaroring or Singapore?

With the Toro Rosso drivers already taking new components in Bahrain and a PU change for Hartley due to the crash in Barcelona, they are inevitably set for penalties, however, Tanabe says they will still stick to their original plan.

This makes me think that as most suspected, Honda have indeed planned strategic penalties for a fourth set of components, regardless of any unplanned component changes along the way. It also seems to me like they're not the only team.

What are your thoughts on this?
we Honda fans want to see more power as soon as possibe and because of that we are expecting updated Pu to Canada. But in the other hand I also keep in mind that it might not be there. Until Honda not validate it, it is a question. According to Tanabe san's statement I understand that if there is not a big gain with new engine and if the engine installed the car is not finish it's life, they will keep racing with the engine and bring update end of its life.

My Quesiton is, is Canada offers same opportunity to Toro Rosso with Bahrain ? Can they be fast there again ? If they can be best of rest or something like monaco order I think they can keep the engine and bring update later.

ME4ME

Revs84 wrote:
They'll use old spec items on fridays and thus reduce mileage build-up on the new parts which will be used on saterdays & sundays.

McMika98
McMika98

Canada being an engine track, teams can get a big advantage with fresh PU as opposed to old PUs that has lost its grunt and efficiency. Besides they can use the old PU in practise as well as less engine sensitive tracks like Hungary.
Speaking of canada, traction and mechanical grip will also be important which the car is improving on.

Revs84
Revs84

ME4ME wrote:
27 May 2018, 22:33
Revs84 wrote:
They'll use old spec items on fridays and thus reduce mileage build-up on the new parts which will be used on saterdays & sundays.
Ahh yes, read that somewhere and it makes perfectly sense. Use the old components nearing the end of their lifespan in Friday practice and achieve two goals; reduce the risk of component failure in races and be quicker in Quali and race due to fresher / improved components. Cheers for the reminder :)