2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR
M840TR

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 07:49
M840TR wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 07:09
adrianjordan wrote:
31 May 2018, 20:41
Don't they have an electronics arm to the business? They could easily outsource to a company that has the necessary expertise.
They don’t need to unless they think they can make it better which is unlikely
Renault doesn't manufacture their MGU-k it's Maranelli.
Do you mean Magneti Marelli? Yes I think they're partners and designed the ERS system together; so did Ferrari

bauc

Happy 71st Birthday to Mr Mclaren aka Ron Dennis
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

bauc wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 11:32
Happy 71st Birthday to Mr Mclaren aka Ron Dennis
Second that !! =D> =D>

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
31 May 2018, 13:54
I seriously doubt we'll see the new MGU-K in 2018
The new mgu-k is ready...they're just allowed only 2 mgu-ks per year. With 21 races, the first has to last at least 10 races.

GhostF1
GhostF1

diffuser wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 03:24
Ground Effect wrote:
The new mgu-k is ready...they're just allowed only 2 mgu-ks per year. With 21 races, the first has to last at least 10 races.
Are you certain about that? I'd say Ricciardo will be taking his 3rd MGU-K in Canada seeing as it let go in Monaco, if it was ready, even the second one should of been the newer unit.

Magnetti make the current one, this new MGU-K we have been hearing about for years is an in house Renault unit.

sn809
sn809

M840TR wrote:
31 May 2018, 17:51
adrianjordan wrote:
31 May 2018, 14:23
mclaren111 wrote:
31 May 2018, 13:32
Autosport:

And still no news on the new MGU-K.

I think McLaren should develop their own MGU-K which could help as a performance enhancer over Renault for 19/20

Not sure how easy and practical it would be for McLaren though ??
I was wondering the same thing. Did they help develop the one they used with Honda?
Only helped with reliability (seals) on mgu-k and production of some other parts. But they probably don't have the resources to design their own.
AFAIK MAT-Mclaren applied technology which is a division of Mclaren grp developed the MGUK seals etc

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GhostF1 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 04:33
diffuser wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
Are you certain about that? I'd say Ricciardo will be taking his 3rd MGU-K in Canada seeing as it let go in Monaco, if it was ready, even the second one should of been the newer unit.

Magnetti make the current one, this new MGU-K we have been hearing about for years is an in house Renault unit.
Apparently Ricciardo's MGU-K was salvageable, so he won't be taking a new one in Canada.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

GhostF1 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 04:33
diffuser wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Renault reported that the mgu-k is fine it was the casing that broke. So he'll be using the same one.

mclaren111

F1.com:

Interview with Zak Brown
There was also a bottleneck on the technical leadership side, with technical director Tim Goss, aero chief Peter Prodromou and production chief Matt Morris.

It remains to be seen how that all shakes down since Goss left recently, but Simon Roberts has been drafted in as COO on the operational side of racing.

“He is great,” Brown says. “He’s automatically responsible for everything that happens to the factory, and Eric Boullier, [Racing Director] and Simon are the two top guys in racing ultimately responsible for the competitiveness.”

Brown says Matt Morris has been freshly empowered and is stepping up in terms of responsibility, as you sense that McLaren are now entering a ‘suck it and see’ period in which they will monitor the effectiveness of the recent changes.

He acknowledges that McLaren aren’t going to win the world championship next year. Probably not 2020, either.

“Right now, we just have to be head down, doing the hard work, focused, and with a clear direction.”

Let's hope this pays dividends in the long run.

Really looking forward to second half of the season.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 13:13
F1.com:

Interview with Zak Brown
There was also a bottleneck on the technical leadership side, with technical director Tim Goss, aero chief Peter Prodromou and production chief Matt Morris.

It remains to be seen how that all shakes down since Goss left recently, but Simon Roberts has been drafted in as COO on the operational side of racing.

“He is great,” Brown says. “He’s automatically responsible for everything that happens to the factory, and Eric Boullier, [Racing Director] and Simon are the two top guys in racing ultimately responsible for the competitiveness.”

Brown says Matt Morris has been freshly empowered and is stepping up in terms of responsibility, as you sense that McLaren are now entering a ‘suck it and see’ period in which they will monitor the effectiveness of the recent changes.

He acknowledges that McLaren aren’t going to win the world championship next year. Probably not 2020, either.

“Right now, we just have to be head down, doing the hard work, focused, and with a clear direction.”

Let's hope this pays dividends in the long run.

Really looking forward to second half of the season.
Hopefully it will, but I can't but spare a thought for Fernando,
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

New hierarchy at McLaren

Brown
               --------------------------| |----------------------------
              ^                                                         ^
 Eric Boullier (Track)                                      Simon Roberts(Factory)   
                                             ----------------------| |----------------------
                                            ^                                               ^ 
                                 Peter Prodromou(aero chief)                Matt Morris(production chief)

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 15:23
New hierarchy at McLaren

Brown
 Eric Boullier (Track)                                      Simon Roberts(Factory)   
It doesnt work for me
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Big Tea

GoranF1 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 17:00
diffuser wrote:
New hierarchy at McLaren

Brown
It doesnt work for me
That was my immediate thoughts too. He seems to only have experience in tin racing and endurance. I think it is far different to F1.

But then, there are a lot of smart people in Mclaren and they should know which way is up.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

They may not win but they still have the chance to save this season.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR
M840TR

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 18:03
GoranF1 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 17:00
diffuser wrote:
New hierarchy at McLaren

Brown
It doesnt work for me
That was my immediate thoughts too. He seems to only have experience in tin racing and endurance. I think it is far different to F1.

But then, there are a lot of smart people in Mclaren and they should know which way is up.
These lot of smart people need to nail a design philosophy and stick to it. Ever since 2010 they come up with something different. It's reminiscent of Lotus back in their championship winning years. Stability, if on right path, is what can be crucial in the end. Redbull and Merc have displayed this since 2010 and Ferrari recently.
I personally think the new direction this year with the nose change has plenty of potential to take the challenge to the top 3