2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

etusch wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 15:52
0.5s? :shock:
You stole my look :D :shock: :shock:

0.5secs is mega!! Is that realistic?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Thunder18
Thunder18

Well, TR are meant to be brining some updates too, so as a package great, but let see what the rest of the paddock do.

Marti_EF3

We will se on track soon. No need to speculate more, only the we will see the truth on track

etusch

4th place once more would be good

Bill
Bill

They was a translation done on Japanese motorsportmagazine ,they was talk of a breakthrough with second pu, which the new r&d chief said he needed 6 months to work on ,so 0.5 tenth is not inconceivable if is in addition to fuel upgrades which usually give any way from 10hp to 15bhp.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 13:57
Does anybody see this as a possibility or just wild speculation?

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/18473
Do I see it as STR changing Hartley, yes. Getting Lando instead? don't know. Why?

If they just need a quick driver Ok, but then Lando has only been tested not raced in F1. Did he test with Honda? May be something to think about.
To me, If they are making a change they should go for an experienced driver to help out with the unknowns of the car, even if it means going outside F1. There are a few FE drivers with that experience, but the season is still open to the top ones. Bird may be OK and is now not in title contention, but again is untested.

The more I consider it, the more I think that if I were responsible, I would be on the phone to Masa or Button.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

loner

hasika wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 15:11
https://www.as-web.jp/f1/376475/3
次のカナダはストレートが長いだけに楽な戦いにはならないだろうが、ドライバーたちは0.5秒分にもなるパワーユニットのアップデートに期待を寄せている。

There are long straights in Montreal,so it wont be a easy race. But The dirvers expect a 0.5s gain from new power unit will bring some positive results.
:lol: :lol:
para bellum.

Thunder18
Thunder18

techman
techman

toro rosso is suprisingly doing good at the moment. i expected them to fall back. last year their car is very slow towards the end.

carisi2k

techman wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 01:24
toro rosso is suprisingly doing good at the moment. i expected them to fall back. last year their car is very slow towards the end.
Towards the end of last year they had a severely under powered PU put together with gaffa tape. That is why they were slow.

carisi2k

Big Tea wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 16:31
Ground Effect wrote:

Do I see it as STR changing Hartley, yes. Getting Lando instead? don't know. Why?

If they just need a quick driver Ok, but then Lando has only been tested not raced in F1. Did he test with Honda? May be something to think about.
To me, If they are making a change they should go for an experienced driver to help out with the unknowns of the car, even if it means going outside F1. There are a few FE drivers with that experience, but the season is still open to the top ones. Bird may be OK and is now not in title contention, but again is untested.

The more I consider it, the more I think that if I were responsible, I would be on the phone to Masa or Button.
For what reason. Neither of those old timers are in the red bull family and neither is Kubica, Wehrlein and Norris. This year is a development year for TR and Hartley is giving good feedback while Gasly has had 2 great results. They work well together and the car is getting faster. Hartley helped Gasly in Monaco get to 7th place and so he does play the team game even if he isn't getting the same results as Gasly.

techman
techman

personally i think marko might change hartley. i believe hartley is someone who falls under pressure. nice bloke but not tough and quick for f1. i hope he proves me wrong. but so far his race pace is about 0.5 slower to gasly

Hino
Hino

Big Tea

carisi2k wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 02:16
Big Tea wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 16:31
Ground Effect wrote:

For what reason. Neither of those old timers are in the red bull family and neither is Kubica, Wehrlein and Norris. This year is a development year for TR and Hartley is giving good feedback while Gasly has had 2 great results. They work well together and the car is getting faster. Hartley helped Gasly in Monaco get to 7th place and so he does play the team game even if he isn't getting the same results as Gasly.
But Hartley has No experience in F1, the others mentioned do. How would he know what the car is capable of if he has no comparison. Somewhat in the way of Williams and RK, but they are not sure how RK's injuries affect his feel and reported feedback, though it has to be better than last years Stroll. This year, I don't know.

Button in particular has experience with a good F1 car and a honda engine combo, and also speaks Japanese so nothing is 'lost in translation'.

I agree it is unlikely to happen, though Masa is hanging about the F1 hive looking bored.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.