2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman
techman

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

the advantage of buying a team like toro rosso, is that they get more controlling power. at this time they just watch and wait till the next upgrade comes. and they also have to listen to their big sister redbulll. if one of their cars are coming from behind , they will have to let it pass. all the toro rosso exists is to help the big sister redbulll. its not their to win championship titles alone. it meant for one thing. honda would not benefit anything from them, if they cant get redbull deal. as for last time honda did buy a team, they got some podiums and a win. so it possible and patience is required by honda.

carisi2k

Honda are not going to buy Toro Rosso. They are going to sign up with Red Bull and win a world championship or 2 or 3 or more.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I read on BBC not too long ago that most insiders believe the deal between Red Bull & Honda is as good as done, but it's believed to be for 2 years, 2019-20. I don't know if reporters are getting ahead of themselves or not, you can't really trust what you read these days.
Interestingly, they say it'll be for 2 years only because Aston Martin are still keen on coming in. So far the 2021 rules are heading in a favourable direction for them, with the removal of the MGU-H etc. I just wonder, if that happens, does Honda return to Toro Rosso as the works team?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Revs84
Revs84

Ground Effect wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 08:00
I read on BBC not too long ago that most insiders believe the deal between Red Bull & Honda is as good as done, but it's believed to be for 2 years, 2019-20. I don't know if reporters are getting ahead of themselves or not, you can't really trust what you read these days.
Interestingly, they say it'll be for 2 years only because Aston Martin are still keen on coming in. So far the 2021 rules are heading in a favourable direction for them, with the removal of the MGU-H etc. I just wonder, if that happens, does Honda return to Toro Rosso as the works team?
When the first rumours that Red Bull would switch to Honda came out, Toro Rosso confirmed that any deal by Honda with Red Bull would not affect them and that they will remain a works team as well.

http://www.f1i.com/news/295417-toro-ros ... works.html

Since I doubt Honda would build 2 different specs, this leads me to believe that if Red Bull are really considering Honda for 2019, they already have a hand in the engine development being done for next year.

hasika
hasika

https://members.f1-life.net/race/70121/

Only ICE change for Hartley to avoid penalty.

Jerrycobra
Jerrycobra

ah, I guess that means whatever honda upgraded on the ICE didn't change or affect the way the rest of the components mounted on the ICE if Hartley can reuse the "old" components.

nzjrs

Jerrycobra wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 10:44
ah, I guess that means whatever honda upgraded on the ICE didn't change or affect the way the rest of the components mounted on the ICE if Hartley can reuse the "old" components.
That's very interesting.

Will be a busy weekend for the Honda engineers as they maintain two sets of power unit maps - one for Hartley (new ICE + old mgu-) and the other for Gasly (new ICE + new mgu-). This demonstrates how much is possible to control in software it seems.

Snorked
Snorked

So only the ICE has been updated and Gasly will be using brand new same specced hybrid components as Hartley.

But didn't the f1 media say the hybrid was the weakest link of Honda's PU? For them not to update they must be happy with it?

Have Toro Rosso brought any updates?

godlameroso

You are recovering energy from the engine, it's the prime mover. The more power it makes and for longer, the more energy you can harvest. The combustion process is what allows everything else to work.
Saishū kōnā

dren

If the ICE is more efficient, you're dumping less 'waste' energy out of it for recovery per unit of fuel. They may actually harvest less with the MGUH. If the ICE is more efficient, there may be room to electrically accumulate more fuel via the extra harvest mode: MGUK->MGUH->ES.
Honda!

kasio
kasio

dren wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 12:41
If the ICE is more efficient, you're dumping less 'waste' energy out of it for recovery per unit of fuel. They may actually harvest less with the MGUH. If the ICE is more efficient, there may be room to electrically accumulate more fuel via the extra harvest mode: MGUK->MGUH->ES.
This is general thought here and explained before but.
Turbo could be limited to waste energy amount or some other mechanical constrains.
In second case Recovery energy would be restricted to what turbine is able to take, in first it would be amount of "waste" energy.
As mercedes Andy Cowell has pointed about turbine sizing i think its mechanical restrictions and not "waste" energy which limits recovery.

techman
techman

looking at the race pace. toro rosso not bad. were only 0.5 second slower than merce and it was hartly so who know what gasly pace is. could be even quicker

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Remember these engine are limited to 100kg/hr of fuel. A more efficient ICE can combust leaner and pump more air to do so. As a result there will be more exhaust gas and more to recover by the MGU-H. In short, increased efficiency means increased ERS recovery.

Gasly is looking good indeed, anyone seen his topspeeds?

dren

You're having to use more turbine to power the increased demands of the compressor for more air.
Honda!

Sayeman

Dont know what fuel loads they were running, but the Ferrari is still catching up at alarming rate down the straight.
Never Give up.