2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman
techman

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

shame. i agree why cant they put a new engine on gasly,if the upgrad is 0.5 then just put it. damn. this sucks. q3 was there for the taking

Squid
Squid

I'll say, when Honda signed the partnership with Toro Rosso, I wasn't too thrilled and thought I'd only support them because of Honda. But Toro Rosso and especially Gasly have grown a lot on me. Amazing team and amazind driver.

Singabule
Singabule

techman wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:09
shame. i agree why cant they put a new engine on gasly,if the upgrad is 0.5 then just put it. damn. this sucks. q3 was there for the taking
I think this is tactic from tanabe coz he want to be safe and to show US the real progress is huge.

Revs84
Revs84

Agree with Singabule. Honda have a point to prove, that they are on top of engine reliability, and want to shake off the unreliability stigma.

Additionally, if they don't mount a new engine, it would mean that the current one can still be used and they elected to change it for cautionary reasons. They will try to get it back on track and cover the planned mileage with it.

Tanabe mentioned several times that they plan to stick to their original plan, even with the deviations they had. Not ideal for us fans but I see the point he's trying to prove.

Here's just hoping they can get that engine back on track for tomorrow's race...

etusch

I don't know is there a rule penalising to changing qualy PU for race. They can check and use this updated engine maybe, but I am sure they won't use another new spec if used new spec is still usable. That's because when you bring new one it bring penalty too. I think they want to use next PU with next update.

Marti_EF3

How was the race pace with Ultrasoft on the FP's?? They were near FI, Renault and Mclaren?? Or worst??

techman
techman

race pace was very good. suxs that brendon is normally slower than gasly on race pace and the freaking engine had a problem in gasly , i was hoping it was brendon who is the slow driver

McMika98
McMika98

Lets also not forget that Hartley although using new ICE is still using older elements. There must be some minor updates on the other units as well. Also on the first run in Q1, Gasly was much quicker than Hartley by few tenths. Sadly didnt improve much. Hartley again i feel did not deliver in Q2. Hoping for a bliding race with a good strategy. Gasly will struggle due to the engine deficit

Wazari

Only two new ICE's were built and brought to Canada. Mapping still an issue for the new PU and this track. Someone mentioned "hand crafted" which is not far from the truth. These are hand assembled PU's with many of the components also hand finished and assembled. It takes many man-hours to create the components and assemble them so bringing additional PU's from a fresh update is not that simple. I'm very pleased with the initial run-in of the new spec PU and peak power numbers.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Marti_EF3

Wazari wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:27
Only two new ICE's were built and brought to Canada. Mapping still an issue for the new PU and this track. Someone mentioned "hand crafted" which is not far from the truth. These are hand assembled PU's with many of the components also hand finished and assembled. It takes many man-hours to create the components and assemble them so bringing additional PU's from a fresh update is not that simple. I'm very pleased with the initial run-in of the new spec PU and peak power numbers.
Can you tell more about that numbers?? What are your opinion about the issue of Gasly PU?? It may not be something serious because Hartley has no problems and runs great

Marti_EF3

AJI
AJI

Well, it certainly looks like the PU upgrade worked, because I don't believe Hartley learned how to drive better...

McMika98
McMika98

Just need to look into sector 3 data to know the delta between the old and new engine. Also Merc engine is showing its mileage but still hella of an engine.

nzjrs

AJI wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 00:02
Well, it certainly looks like the PU upgrade worked, because I don't believe Hartley learned how to drive better...
He might be finding his feet slowly. Needs to work on his qualifying. In Monaco he was .5 faster in FP3 than Q1 (and Gasly Q1). In Canada his Q2 time was slower than his Q1 time.

AJI
AJI

nzjrs wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 00:11
AJI wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 00:02
He might be finding his feet slowly. Needs to work on his qualifying. In Monaco he was .5 faster in FP3 than Q1 (and Gasly Q1). In Canada his Q2 time was slower than his Q1 time.
I think they need to concentrate on Gasly a little more. He's going to be a star. Shame he couldn't use the new PU...