General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
techman
techman

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

honda engine upgrade is decent. sux that gasly had this issue. still hurt and yes gasly was .4 sec faster than brendon

j.yank
j.yank

Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:11
j.yank wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:04
Taking into account that a) Hartley is not very experienced on this race track, b) he did some mistakes in Q2 not improving his own best time in Q1, c) in the same time he was almost even with Ocon in Q1, d) TR chassis is not superior to Force India, I would boldly guess that Honda have almost leveled the Mercedes engine :shock:
A bit too optimistic if its not sarcasm :lol: The FI Mercedes PU is 7 races old :?

But at least it seems that the gap with Renault is closed, tomorrow if all goes okay on the start, we will see how is the race pace, fuel saving and harvesting...
I am optimistic :) Note that the 7 races old Mercedes engine wasn't too far away from the brand new Ferrari engine, and it was driven by pilots with much more experiеnce than Hartley. So, I am optimistic ... :)

Marti_EF3

j.yank wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:23
Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:11
j.yank wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:04
Taking into account that a) Hartley is not very experienced on this race track, b) he did some mistakes in Q2 not improving his own best time in Q1, c) in the same time he was almost even with Ocon in Q1, d) TR chassis is not superior to Force India, I would boldly guess that Honda have almost leveled the Mercedes engine :shock:
A bit too optimistic if its not sarcasm :lol: The FI Mercedes PU is 7 races old :?

But at least it seems that the gap with Renault is closed, tomorrow if all goes okay on the start, we will see how is the race pace, fuel saving and harvesting...
I am optimistic :) Note that the 7 races old Mercedes engine wasn't too far away from the brand new Ferrari engine, and it was driven by pilots with much more experiеnce than Hartley. So, I am optimistic ... :)
Maybe in Q mode its all more closer. But in race mode, they are ahead for sure. I will be pleased if Honda match the upgraded renault or a little better than Renault :mrgreen:

TakataDomeNSX
TakataDomeNSX

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44427488

Renault upgrade 12bhp according to Riccardo, Honda at least twice that according to Andrew Benson.

Sasha
Sasha

Re: Honda Power Unit

So it looks like the 0.5 second faster lap was correct with the new PU.

godlameroso

Sasha wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 03:09
Hartley qualified one second faster than last year, so the new power unit is at least on par with the Renault.
Saishū kōnā

IvailoStefanovBG

I think Honda brought great update. Both drivers are very pleased with drivability and it brought atleast .5 secs in performance. Really great work, Wazari. Can you tell us what is the efficiency rate of this engine compared to Mercedes? Do Honda still need to do fuel saving on tracks like Canada?

McHonda
McHonda

It's not the British presses fault Hartley's and Gasly's speed traps were near identical and that Gasly had to take his new engine out because of an issue is it? It's not their fault that Hulk was faster in those same traps that routinely only ever get mentioned when it looks good for Honda, even when the drivers are moaning about the low downforce at the same time. It's not their fault Max can mix it at the front with Renault power whereas Honda would be a question mark as they simply haven't tried it yet and don't want to just assume*.

They hold no sway over Red Bull as well so their opinions are irrelevant. Red Bull will have all the info, they know the strengths and weaknesses of both chassis's and both engine's and can and will make their decisions based on them, not on speed traps alone, not on some made up calculations of where people think Gasly would be or any other such nonsense and certainly not on what Andrew Benson tweets or whatever.

* The Abiteboul stitch up is hilarious. Watching the Interview live on Sky he clearly didn't mean it the way the words are being portrayed, he just meant what Renault can do and have done with Red Bull is a known quantity. A fact. With Honda they have no facts to fall back on was the point he was making, not that they had no chance with Honda, he just couldn't say they could either.

mzso
mzso

Sasha wrote:
Yes, couldn't be more clearer since Hartley, who's usually the slower one was 0.46s faster this time than Gasly with the old Power unit. Almost made Q3.

daniellammers
daniellammers

mzso wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 09:47
Sasha wrote:
Yes, couldn't be more clearer since Hartley, who's usually the slower one was 0.46s faster this time than Gasly with the old Power unit. Almost made Q3.
So not a surprise that the Red Bull Honda rumours start to come up. .5s is a lot
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

etusch

İf the 0.5 sec is true what is the guess of HP number? what is gap to top engines?

search

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 07:07
I think Honda brought great update. Both drivers are very pleased with drivability and it brought atleast .5 secs in performance. Really great work, Wazari. Can you tell us what is the efficiency rate of this engine compared to Mercedes? Do Honda still need to do fuel saving on tracks like Canada?
I would think so. It will also be interesting to see whether the update has improved this issue or if having more horse power actually has made it worse

etusch

TakataDomeNSX wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 03:00

Renault upgrade 12bhp according to Riccardo, Honda at least twice that according to Andrew Benson.
This is more important I think
Hartley, who did well under the pressure of knowing Red Bull are considering replacing him, was especially optimistic because he said the update made more difference in the race than in qualifying, where he said it was "relatively small"

baybars
baybars

etusch wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 11:58
TakataDomeNSX wrote:

Hartley, who did well under the pressure of knowing Red Bull are considering replacing him, was especially optimistic because he said the update made more difference in the race than in qualifying, where he said it was "relatively small"
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/red-bull/

Red Bull benefits less from Renault's expansion stage than the factory. That's because of the different fuel. While Renault wins 20hp or three-tenths, Red Bull earns 12hp or 0.15sec on the lap time. For the next fuel development of the World Cup third has to wait a bit. "We'll get them in Hungary at the earliest."

restless
restless

etusch wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 11:58
TakataDomeNSX wrote:

I guess this engine i sfirst Honda-made wher TJI-like fuel-burning is achieved.
Thus, while peak power is only slightly improved we may witness better sustained race-pace
Less fuel-saving and more aggressive fights for position.