General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Marti_EF3

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

techman wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 11:32
one mistake they did make is why didnt the pit gasly just after charles pitted. running longer on those hyper did not work this time. i hope next time they wait till someone pits and they immediately pit the next lap.
Well, with that strategy Gasly could pass several cars on track, and other cars on the pits. For me it was the right strategy starting from P19. It was great to see an Honda powered car overtaking Ferrari and Mercedes PUs on the straight, even if it was with softer tires, you've to be fast on the straights =D>

HPD

Mark Hughes: Honda’s upgrade had delivered everything expected of it – and maybe more. There was almost 0.5sec of power increase (around 27bhp) which puts it just about on par with the Renault now.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report

dren

Wazari said you'd need around 30kws for 0.5s gain, which is closer to 40hp.
Honda!

Revs84
Revs84

In this article, according to Honda officials, 40bhp might not be too far off, although it seems that being a power circuit, in Canada 10kw translate to around 0.2s a lap.

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/smart/c ... _split_26/

McHonda
McHonda

In the race this can be doable as it could mean having an extra mode available for longer. So say your best mode gives you an extra 30kw then if you can have that available for x amount of laps extra then it's a huge improvement in the race and by what Hartley said about it being more for the race this could be along the lines of what it was. Or just x amount closer to your peak power in the race for sustain mode.

I think too often we see these gains being quoted and assume it's peak power so just keep adding it to that but sizeable gains can be had by improving what you're getting in recuparation so you can get more out of the ers, or by improving reliability in certain modes so you can use them for longer etc..

Whatever the specifics everyone seems happy enough with it and I'm not too bothered about the failure in Gasly's. No-one but Mercedes has added trouble free performance and adding it is the most important bit so hats off and a pat on the back to Honda.

loner

Revs84 wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 20:32
In this article, according to Honda officials, 40bhp might not be too far off, although it seems that being a power circuit, in Canada 10kw translate to around 0.2s a lap.

as i expected Honda now about 5-10 hp more than Renault after starting the seasong behind for 10 hp , they introduced update around 40 hp while Renault 20 including the fuel .. if Honda can provide more 15 hp to RBR in other words 20+ than whatever Renault give them they will win races regularly not just some chaos ones .. its pretty clear now why Cyril Abiteboul is nervous specially after Mclaren exposed to him.
para bellum.

Hino
Hino

HPD wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:45
Mark Hughes: Honda’s upgrade had delivered everything expected of it – and maybe more. There was almost 0.5sec of power increase (around 27bhp) which puts it just about on par with the Renault now.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report
Mark Hughes in comments: "If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Honda will win races next season."

techman
techman

very good gain. now i hope toro rosso can bring a big aero update and toro rosso who knows could possible fight for 5th position. it will be difficult with brendon , but there is hope

TakataDomeNSX
TakataDomeNSX

loner wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 21:53
Revs84 wrote:

as i expected Honda now about 5-10 hp more than Renault after starting the seasong behind for 10 hp , they introduced update around 40 hp while Renault 20 including the fuel .. if Honda can provide more 15 hp to RBR in other words 20+ than whatever Renault give them they will win races regularly not just some chaos ones .. its pretty clear now why Cyril Abiteboul is nervous specially after Mclaren exposed to him.
If, according to Ricciardo, the upgrade from Renault is only 12 bhp, and the Honda is said to make a 27bhp increase, that is 15 more in the eyes of RB. It doesnt matter if the other Renault teams have got 20 out of the upgrade due to fuel and lube difference.

etusch

TakataDomeNSX wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 04:20
loner wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 21:53
Revs84 wrote:

If, according to Ricciardo, the upgrade from Renault is only 12 bhp, and the Honda is said to make a 27bhp increase, that is 15 more in the eyes of RB. It doesnt matter if the other Renault teams have got 20 out of the upgrade due to fuel and lube difference.
I don't know if this is a good thing or not but I think Honda had a good second release (first winter testing reliability ) with this working ( as expected) update. Now they can work on next one with more confidence and with a good base

zeph
zeph

In the comments section of Mark Hughes’ GP report, he actually replies to someone’s question: “If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Honda will win races next season.”

At the very least they seem to have the reliability sorted, so if they can manage to increase the power to fuel consumption ratio, who knows? It also suggest he seems to believe RedBull will switch to Honda PU’s next year. Unless he thinks STR will somehow build a monster chassis, of course.

Talisman
Talisman

Revs84 wrote:

Just want to point out that the Honda officials have said nothing of the sort in that article.

Tanabe rubbishes the 27 and 40 BHP numbers claiming neither he nor Honda have said nothing of the sort.

The 40 bhp figure mentioned later is the impression the journalist gets from having spoken to other Honda staff, claiming the combustion improvement is substantial and is therefore likely to be around 40 BHP. Again no specific numbers mentioned by anyone from Honda. The journalist then estimates what such a power increase might translate to in Canada.

Its interesting to hear though that the upgrade was introduced in Canada despite Hartley and Gasley's earlier issues meaning it could have been delayed until later. They wanted to specifically show they could introduce a reliable substantial upgrade to pre-agreed timelines. I guess not just for internal benefit but to impress RBR too.

Also its worth noting Gasley's comments later in the article where he clearly states Honda were not as powerful as Renault prior to Canada, contrary to some of the more optimistic posts on this thread.

TakataDomeNSX
TakataDomeNSX

AFAIK all power figures tend to be guesses from the media. Whether or not Honda is now par or ahead of Renault needs more races to be established. Sometimes we also get glimpses from comments from rival teams.

techman
techman

i belivve honda is ahead, its just unfortuante , toro rosso cant bring in the developments quickly and the drivers are basically rookie. i just wish there was sainz in there but he was loan. the potential of the car is never known trully

TakataDomeNSX
TakataDomeNSX

Wish JB, Riccardo or Max could give it a spin, but very very unlikely :(