2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

seems another upgrade on the way ...
Honda's motorsport boss Masashi Yamamoto:
We are now working on development to get further improvements to challenge for even better results for the rest of this season
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13685 ... team-label
para bellum.

loner

i have a feeling STR will perform well in France with the aero and chassis updates they are bringing.
para bellum.

adrianjordan

So with RBR using Honda PU next season, will STR still be the "works" team as they claimed to be?

I don't see it personally, why would the junior team be the works team when it's the senior team that will (hopefully) be fighting for titles??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Stef
Stef

4-car team, that's it . :D

Sevach
Sevach

adrianjordan wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 17:01
So with RBR using Honda PU next season, will STR still be the "works" team as they claimed to be?

I don't see it personally, why would the junior team be the works team when it's the senior team that will (hopefully) be fighting for titles??
They are avoiding "labelling"...

In truth i think, no money changing hands between Honda and Red Bull(company).
And every call on the direction of engine development, fuel to be used... will be made by RBR, Toro Rosso kinda knows it's place in the pecking order.

Hino
Hino

adrianjordan wrote:

Red Bull won’t have works team label

muramasa
muramasa

Hino wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 20:24
adrianjordan wrote:

Red Bull won’t have works team label
That article just stole from Honda official website;

EN
http://en.hondaracingf1.com/insights/ho ... acing.html

original JP
http://ja.hondaracingf1.com/insights/ho ... from=rssms

and the title and contents are plain wrong, very bad article, what Yamamoto is saying is that it will be "double works" so to speak.

Original deal with Toro Rosso addressed that at the point of last year already, also James Key quotes I posted in prev page is very concise and clear about this subject.

Also at Azerbaijan GP Yamamoto said this, "we understand Red Bull and Toro Rosso are sister teams. But I admire Toro Rosso highly as one independent constructor lead/represented by Mr Franz Tost."
http://www.as-web.jp/f1/364913?all

again few weeks later, "I'd like to appreciate that we are contracted to Toro Rosso, and we are talking to Mr Tost about it too. We are not going to make big change to that, but regarding the form of the contract in case we are able to reach a deal with Red Bull, we are actually in the middle of consideration now. But fortunately, Red Bull and Toro Rosso are under the same group, right? We are talking with Mr Marko about that aspect as well.
https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/F1-re ... 38727/?s=1

I like these Yamamoto remarks. It's been clear since last Sept that Honda appreciate STR a lot and do not regard/treat them as stepping stone. Also seems Toro Rosso technical team is genuinely happy and excited about the works deal ie working so closely with manufacturer being open and sharing every data to work on the design of the car, which has never happened to them. That's so understandable, and that Key and co already had an idea or two for 2019 packaging and geared up for it even before 2018 season started is so lovely. So it's good relationship.

Big Tea

Sevach wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 17:33
adrianjordan wrote:

And every call on the direction of engine development, fuel to be used... will be made by RBR, Toro Rosso kinda knows it's place in the pecking order.
With Honda's seeming requirement to learn as much as they can from f1 and train engineers etc, could it possibly even result in an internal competition between 'our Honda engine' and 'Their Honda engine?"
That would be a new focus for Honda F1 fans :D. Chose your Honda.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

muramasa wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 21:12

I like these Yamamoto remarks. It's been clear since last Sept that Honda appreciate STR a lot and do not regard/treat them as stepping stone. Also seems Toro Rosso technical team is genuinely happy and excited about the works deal ie working so closely with manufacturer being open and sharing every data to work on the design of the car, which has never happened to them. That's so understandable, and that Key and co already had an idea or two for 2019 packaging and geared up for it even before 2018 season started is so lovely. So it's good relationship.
That is realy good thing. As a fan, I want to see Honda's success with Redbull in short term but Honda's success with Toro Rosso is more important and more meaningfull for me.

Talisman
Talisman

The devil is in the detail. Is the current Honda works deal with STR or the company that owns both RBR and STR? If the latter (and I suspect it is) then Red Bull can shift the works deal to RBR just as they swapped Ferrari and Renault supplies so many years ago.

Zynerji

Talisman wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 23:21
The devil is in the detail. Is the current Honda works deal with STR or the company that owns both RBR and STR? If the latter (and I suspect it is) then Red Bull can shift the works deal to RBR just as they swapped Ferrari and Renault supplies so many years ago.
I hope not. It would be great to see STR as a podium contender...

sn809
sn809

It would be better to see RB vs TR LOL.

Singabule
Singabule

Big Tea wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 22:29
Sevach wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 17:33
adrianjordan wrote:

With Honda's seeming requirement to learn as much as they can from f1 and train engineers etc, could it possibly even result in an internal competition between 'our Honda engine' and 'Their Honda engine?"
That would be a new focus for Honda F1 fans :D. Chose your Honda.
I chose STR, the key is Key

Marti_EF3

Even with RBR using Honda, I want STR to suceed and to achieve some podiums on the mid-long term. Maybe on 2019 or 2020 if they share knowelge with RBR it can be possible to have they fighting on high midfield and... Who knows... That's a hope, because I really appreciate STR, and now more because Honda :mrgreen:

McMika98
McMika98

Sasha wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 06:58
The Japanese Auto Sport translator(Muramasa) calling out others........that is Funny from a guy just reading the info from online magazines.He is just a fan getting his nut off giving round eyes info that is hard to read in the western world.

Looks like a little jelousy because he doesn't know ---.
I think his account has been hacked and his posts are strangely against Honda.

Anyways hoping TR have a competitive showing in France where both drivers seem to have good experience. The trackn is at altitude and only found out that there is significant elevation changes and cambered corners.