2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

ALO_Power wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 18:09
It's funny to have aero correlation problems and most teams of the grid to copy parts of them and do better than them.
Yes, it seems like they have good ideas, but they cant get them to work.
Ferrari has copied many of Mclaren concepts, and is clearly the fastest car, if they had a decent driver they would lead by 50 points by now.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

F1Krof wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 11:03
M840TR wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 00:13
Some words of advice from Adrian Newey that could help Mclaren

1. Never let a financial guy take over the team. When he was at Leytonhouse they put a guy in charge of finance to run the team and easy to say it didn't go too well for them.

https://scontent.fisb5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5BB51F75

2. No press is best to avoid negative press. I think Eric might be a decent guy in the roll he plays (director of race operations) but man is he the worst when it comes to the camera. He should probably lay low for a while like Arrivabene does.

https://scontent.fisb5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5BEA27C5

3. Stick to a design philosophy if it works.

https://scontent.fisb5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5BB7FB42

And for those saying Peter Prodromou should be fired for their problems: Leytonhouse had probably the best car in 1988 but in 89 suffered wind tunnel correlation problems. After 12 months they found out the wind tunnel was defected. There might be a similar issue with the Toyota wind tunnel in Cologne even if it is considered very high tech since Force India are suffering from it too (they use the same tunnel); only a speculation but not too far fetched.
When Newey came up with a solution after finding the problems he designed a new diffuser and front wing. By the next race in 1990 the Leytonhouse cars were on to finish 1st & 2nd in the race only to suffer from reliability problems and had one DNF but still separated the pair of Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna to finish second with a much slower engine. But by that time Newey was fired and went on to join Williams. The rest in history.
Man what book is this?
There are 2 Toyota WT in Koln.
FI and Mclaren use different ones.

dren

GoranF1 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 16:17
ALO_Power wrote:
It's funny to have aero correlation problems and most teams of the grid to copy parts of them and do better than them.
Ferrari has copied many of Mclaren concepts, and is clearly the fastest car, if they had a decent driver they would lead by 50 points by now.
Really? Ferrari had a different concept that several teams have adopted this year.
Honda!

GoranF1
GoranF1

dren wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 16:24
GoranF1 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 16:17
ALO_Power wrote:
Really? Ferrari had a different concept that several teams have adopted this year.
In some areas, like nose pilars...and there were others but i dont remeber anymore, lost interest lately..

adrianjordan

RonDennis wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 15:27
wesley123 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 09:52
kasio wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 09:12
That is total nonsense logic! How can MCL32 be better than MCL33 if MCL33 is faster on any track they have run!? And by far! MCL33 is better than MCL32 and thats only reason why there is 33 and team has chosen it.
I think the important word here is relatively. McLaren did gain significantly less time than other teams did
While they should have gained much more time compared to the others when you take in considerating that the Honda engine was god-awful in the first half of the season.

Maybe McLaren should have handed out the Adrian Newey book instead of Freddo's.
I dare someone to have one couriered to Zak Brown with that page highlighted!! 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

RonDennis
RonDennis

godlameroso

I posted this in another thread

What did last year's car have that this year's car doesn't, look right behind the bargeboard, that wavy wing that aimed air under the floor is missing in this year's car. WHY?
Saishū kōnā

McG

ONLY IF YOU HAVE PRIME.

Which then makes it not worth it. Most of Motorsport.com is terrible.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 17:09
RonDennis wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 15:27
wesley123 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 09:52

I think the important word here is relatively. McLaren did gain significantly less time than other teams did
While they should have gained much more time compared to the others when you take in considerating that the Honda engine was god-awful in the first half of the season.

Maybe McLaren should have handed out the Adrian Newey book instead of Freddo's.
I dare someone to have one couriered to Zak Brown with that page highlighted!! 😝

Pretty sure PP has had those drummed into him By Newey himself.

dren

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 17:28

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 168490.jpg

https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... detail.jpg

What did last year's car have that this year's car doesn't, look right behind the bargeboard, that wavy wing that aimed air under the floor is missing in this year's car. WHY?
Who knows. You'd think they'd carry them over if they were useful to the car design. Most of the other teams have them. They sure aren't helping the Williams car.
Last edited by dren on 26 Jun 2018, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Would it be possible for you to summarise the article please?

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:

I think your chicken wing looks worse in that picture than it actually is ..

It's behind of the tire, so the air flow is isn't flowing from front to back as much as it's flowing from center out. It also looks like a ducks head there.

Nuvolari

Dipesh1995 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 18:17
Would it be possible for you to summarise the article please?
1) It's not possible to test the range of movement a car sees out on track in the windtunnel partly due to regulatory restrictions

2) Management may be trying to push the engineers/aerodynamicists to put a lot of parts on the car without understanding fully what secondary effects the parts might have

Not a huge level of insight into specifically what problems McLaren are having. Mostly general statements.

godlameroso

dren wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 18:17
godlameroso wrote:

Who knows. You'd think they'd carry them over if they were useful to the car design. Most of the other teams have them. They sure aren't helping the Williams car.
The Williams also has no mid wing. And their device behind the bargeboards isn't channeling air under the floor.

Maybe McLaren has to re-engineer part of the car in order to make the changes in this area that they now know they need to make, which is why it's taking so long. They're literally building a B spec chassis.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McG wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 17:30
ONLY IF YOU HAVE PRIME.

Which then makes it not worth it. Most of Motorsport.com is terrible.
I go out of my way to avoid those PRIME opinion pieces on Motorsport.com. They're usually no more than speculation, in some cases they try to pass them off as fact. They come from people who really don't have access to information they're implying they have. Some guys on this platform actually come up with better stuff.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.