2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

If the problem is tight corner acceleration are we shure it is an aero problem?

dren

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 18:41
dren wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 18:17
godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 17:28
I posted this in another thread

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 168490.jpg

https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... detail.jpg

What did last year's car have that this year's car doesn't, look right behind the bargeboard, that wavy wing that aimed air under the floor is missing in this year's car. WHY?
Who knows. You'd think they'd carry them over if they were useful to the car design. Most of the other teams have them. They sure aren't helping the Williams car.
The Williams also has no mid wing. And their device behind the bargeboards isn't channeling air under the floor.

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/W ... 171894.jpg

Maybe McLaren has to re-engineer part of the car in order to make the changes in this area that they now know they need to make, which is why it's taking so long. They're literally building a B spec chassis.
The first few elements on the Williams look just the same as the 2017 Mclaren behind the barge boards. Williams actually has a turning vane on top of theirs. I don't think any of the other teams have that. Mclaren doesn't have the 'teeth' at the diffuser throat entrance like just about all of the other teams do now. They didn't have them in 2017 either.

I can't find a good picture of Red Bull's but FI and Mercedes have the big horizontal wing like Ferrari has, but with simpler slots.
Honda!

godlameroso

Those teeth on the leading edge of the floor are channeling air coming off the plate behind the bargeboard and helping it go towards the flick up on the side of the floor, as far as I'm aware.

You see the plate that runs behind the bargeboard, where it's channeling air

They're in line with the angle of the teeth on the leading edge of the floor, and are aimed at the flick up on the side of the floor.

The area under the guy's foot and the jack.
Saishū kōnā

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

GoranF1 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 16:17
ALO_Power wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 18:09
It's funny to have aero correlation problems and most teams of the grid to copy parts of them and do better than them.
Yes, it seems like they have good ideas, but they cant get them to work.
Ferrari has copied many of Mclaren concepts, and is clearly the fastest car, if they had a decent driver they would lead by 50 points by now.
Agreed.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

This is also a bit off topic, but I think below article suggests Daniel is looking for more money, talking about knowing one's worth. From all indications, Mclaren so far offering much more than Red Bull willing to?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... -of-career
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

dren

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 15:10
This is also a bit off topic, but I think below article suggests Daniel is looking for more money, talking about knowing one's worth. From all indications, Mclaren so far offering much more than Red Bull willing to?

Red Bull likes performance based contracts. Mclaren may be offering him more for a base salary. He's said he wants to win a championship and feels like he can. I don't know why he'd move to Mclaren for any sum of money.
Honda!

garygph
garygph

Strange.. I thought this was the 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault thread but looking back at a number of posts something must have gone wrong with my understanding of how this site works

techman
techman

if daniel goes to mclaren, the only reason would be for money. i dont blame him if he is thinking of retiring soon . get the money, mclaren will never win a title any time soon. so take the opportunity

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

dren wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 15:44
Ground Effect wrote:

Red Bull likes performance based contracts. Mclaren may be offering him more for a base salary. He's said he wants to win a championship and feels like he can. I don't know why he'd move to Mclaren for any sum of money.
I fully agree, Mclaren shouldn't even be on his mind. The part of the article that caught my attention was when he regarded his decision the second most important one he's ever made. Ferrari aren't an option, Mercedes, highly unlikely. So it basically leaves staying with Red Bull or Mclaren? Should be a no brainer. I'm assuming staying with Red Bull shouldn't be regarded as such a monumental decision. So, except he's considering Mclaren...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 17:42
dren wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

I fully agree, Mclaren shouldn't even be on his mind. The part of the article that caught my attention was when he regarded his decision the second most important one he's ever made. Ferrari aren't an option, Mercedes, highly unlikely. So it basically leaves staying with Red Bull or Mclaren? Should be a no brainer. I'm assuming staying with Red Bull shouldn't be regarded as such a monumental decision. So, except he's considering Mclaren...
There could be some time constraint maybe? If RBR will only contract until 2021 but he wants a one year possibly with a get out if an offer comes along they would not agree as one wants stability the other opportunity.

Using the Mclaren offer as a wedge would show RBR there is an alternative to take it or leave it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 18:04
Ground Effect wrote:
dren wrote:

There could be some time constraint maybe? If RBR will only contract until 2021 but he wants a one year possibly with a get out if an offer comes along they would not agree as one wants stability the other opportunity.

Using the Mclaren offer as a wedge would show RBR there is an alternative to take it or leave it.
No team will sign contracts beyond 2020.

Big Tea

RonDennis wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 18:09
Big Tea wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 18:04
Ground Effect wrote:

No team will sign contracts beyond 2020.
No, the other way, one year. See who is retiring from Ferrari etc :D

PhillipM
PhillipM

Depends how far ahead he's looking, if he thinks RB might struggle next year while they get on top of the Honda packaging as well as new rules, and he's thinking 2021 with the new ruleset might be a turnaround for Mclaren (who still have the option to run the Honda then if it's looking likely to blow the Renault away), maybe he'll gamble.

It'd take a huge commitment from Mclaren, and he'd have to have been treated pretty poorly by RB (but the, up 'till this year he was, and the MV collision won't have helped) this year to even consider it.

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 18:24
Depends how far ahead he's looking, if he thinks RB might struggle next year while they get on top of the Honda packaging as well as new rules, and he's thinking 2021 with the new ruleset might be a turnaround for Mclaren (who still have the option to run the Honda then if it's looking likely to blow the Renault away), maybe he'll gamble.

It'd take a huge commitment from Mclaren, and he'd have to have been treated pretty poorly by RB (but the, up 'till this year he was, and the MV collision won't have helped) this year to even consider it.
There is an old saying that goes "hell hath no fury like a lover scorned".
Red Bull have just 'scorned' Renault and their car is not up to giving them claw marks.
They could do unexpected things with Mclaren just to 'show' Red Bull and the rest of the world.
Where pride comes into it, even companies sometimes slip the tooth.

I think Renault probably do realize Mclaren is more likely to be nipping at RBR for the next 2 years than they are, so who knows what under the table deals may be struck.

But, I was more considering Dan having in mind the musical chairs if either Alonso, Kimi or even Lewismove on at the end of the season. He would not like to be signed up and unable to take the opportunity if it was there.

Red Bull obviously want him there until the new regs or until a better alternative is available, and there are none on the horizon right now

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 18:24

Honda option for Mclaren in 2021? As a customer, right?